Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 1: NekkidBibleMan vs ditpoker

• 06-02-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

Team name: Naked Bible Men
    Manager: NekkidBibleMan

Formation

Sullivan
    Carr-LeBouef-Scales-Bjornebye
    ----McAllister-Mascherano
    --LeTissier-Juninho-Rosicky
    Hasselbaink

Selection strategy:
    For me, the crucial positions in the early rounds were at the business end of the pitch. The Premiership has been awash with solid keepers, defenders and midfield bruisers, but for creativity and the spectacular, there is a small group of top class players, followed by a sharp drop to the next level. I decided I'd sort my full-backs out last, as their impact pales in significance to other positions, and also because of the relative wealth of quality in these positions.

I also decided on a formation before any picks were made. Most in the draft have gone for a 4-4-2, but I chose not to for a variety of reasons. A 4-2-3-1 demands only on striker (two top quality strikers were going to be difficult to secure), while the midfield is a flexible unit capable of accommodating players of various style and skill. By freeing my attacking three midfielders of defensive duties (and vice versa), I have been able to nullify potential drawbacks in picking certain players. Finally, I believe that a 4-2-3-1 is, with the right players, a much more effective formation when lining up against other teams of high-quality, as in this draft.

My picks, in order:

Round 1: Matt Le Tissier
    One of the best players I've seen in my lifetime. He had astounding technique, a fantastic footballing brain and was a fantastic creative force. Any question marks over his defensive nous or workrate are nullified, as he is purely being deployed as an attacker.

Round 2: Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink
    Given my formation, a strong, mobile target man was an obvious requirement. For me, there was no better player for the job than Hasselbaink. One of the all-time leading scorers in the Premiership, he regularly broke the 20-goals-a-season barrier, and did so in weaker teams than most. He was strong, quick and a great finisher. He was capable of scoring every kind of goal.

Round 3: Juninho
    I think Juninho represents great value for the third round, considering his unquestionable impact on the Premiership. He'll slot in alongside Le Tissier, playing the typical Brazilian No. 10 role. Again, with no defensive responsibilities, the weak side of his game does not impact on my team.

Round 4: Gary McAllister (Captain)[/b]
    Having gone for a lot of flair with my opening picks, I needed someone who was capable of steadying the boat and setting the tempo for my team. Combining a great engine with a vast array of passing, he
    will be looked on to hold fort, and start my attacks from deep.

Round 5: Javier Mascherano
    In my system, a player like Mascherano is a necessity. Unspectacular going forward, but crucial in winning the ball and breaking down attacks, his tireless industry will compliment McAllister's passing well in providing my midfield platform. On his day, he has shown he can keep even Kaka quiet, and with the quality of the opposition teams, his experience at the top level could be crucial.

Round 6: Frank LeBouef
    By this stage, a lot of you had (surprisingly, to me) concentrated on building from the back, and so I was keen to get in somebody to keep me steady at the back. Frank LeBouef will lead by defense, and his no-nonsense approach to defending coupled with his comfort on the ball is a solid, if unspectacular, addition.

Round 7: Tomas Rosicky
    A controversial one, but a necessity. Leaving left-wing to so late in the draw was, on hindsight, a mistake. There was a real lack of quality after the first few founds had gone, and the demands of my formation further limited me. There's no doubting Rosicky's ability, but there are obvious question marks over his fitness. Ironically, my alternative for the role was Patrick Berger, another Czech with a patchy fitness history!

Round 8: Neil Sullivan
    With my attack and midfield complete, attention turned to my defense. It was a toss-up between choosing a central defender or a goalkeeper, but I think I chose wisely in Sullivan. A solid keeper with a wealth of experience, he won't cost a team points. He's also quite vocal, and will help marshall the defense.

Round 9: John Scales
    I was keen for 'footballing' centre-halves, and John Scales is one. His record speaks for itself, and I think he was good value for the 9th round.

Round 10: Stephen Carr
    In choosing to pick my full-backs in rounds 10 and 11, I wasn't expecting a player of Carr's ability to be available. My formation requires full-backs who aren't afraid to get forward, and Carr demonstrated at Spurs and Newcastle his ability to do just that.

Round 11: Stig Inge Bjornebye
    My final pick was left-back, and again I chose a full-back who could get forward. Sometimes deployed as a wing-back by Liverpool, he was a fine crosser of the ball from deep. He also played alongside Scales in on the meanest defenses of the Premiership era.

Captain: Gary McAllister
    Free-kicks: Juninho/Le Tiss/Gary Mc
    Penalties: Le Tissier (obviously!)

Summary: I'm very happy with my team. In prioritizing my team's attack, I believe I have one of the strongest in the draft. Shrewd picks like LeBouef and Sullivan meant I secured a solid, if unspectacular, defense. Still, football is won by scoring goals, and my team is certainly set up to do that.

Strengths
    - Creativity in attack
    - Three attacking midfielders capable of the spectacular
    - Solid defensive midfield unit

Weaknesses
    - Unspectacular defense
    - Fitness concerns with Rosicky and Carr

vs
    ditpoker wrote: »
    final team:

GK: Tim Flowers (1)
    LB: Ashley Cole (2)
    RB: Paul Parker (2)
    CB: Steve Bruce (3)
    CB: Gary Pallister (4)
    RM: Aaron Lennon
    LM: Lee Sharpe (3)
    CM: Jamie Redknapp
    CM: David Batty (1)
    ST: Tony Cottee
    ST: Darren Bent
    • 16 premiership medals, pretty decent impact to be fair to my all english ensemble!
    • Strikers getting a goal every other game (1 in 2, darren bent) or a bit below (1 in 3, tony cottee) - both at weaker clubs shows their goalscoring nature.
    • Aaron Lennon and Jamie Redknapp, my other 2 non league winning contributions are 2 of the more creative and exciting players - Lennon finishing 3rd behind Fabregas and Ronaldo twice for young player of the year, and is only 21, and Redknapp has 11 years at liverpool and was quality throughout.
    • I have 3 of the Man United back line that started their premiership dominance, and i've replaced dennis irwin with (love him or hate him) ashley cole, who is, as much as i dont like it, brilliant.
    • Midfield has a creative player, redknapp, and a defensive ball winner, batty.
    • On the wings i have pace and creativity,i'll take that supply for my 2 goalscorers.

Which Team Would perform better over the course of a league season? 18 votes

NekkidBibleMan
    0%
    ditpoker
    100%
    RasTaDont be at yourselfPepe LeFritseirebhoywardiemayordenisNecronomiconMitch ConnorMelionredzerdrogFrisbeeBubs101WreckpierrotSmegballIduRichTeaPigman III 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

The way my opposition is lined up I think my solid back 4 (3 of man utd's first dominant defence in the prem + ashley cole) would be too strong for a one man attack Jimmy floyd H. who's goalscoring record at chelsea is just equal to that of darren bent, who has never played at a club as strong as chelsea, and I have cottee along side him.

I think my defense is stronger. I think my attack is stronger. In terms of midfield I agree my opponent has alot of flair etc.

I would suggest in a big game once off cup game that flair and creativity could be the undoing of my team in this instance, but over a league season my team would finish several places ahead.

For instance, his first pick Matt Le Tiss, AMAZING player on his day, unfortunately his day was fairly rare. When we look back at his career now we see his goals against blackburn and newcastle and various moments of genius, but over 10 seasons...??? Whereas my team, for instance my backline, parker bruce pallister cole are consistent performers, week in week out.

And my squad are all english! :p

My team would finish ahead of my opponents in a league season.

Advertisement