Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fennesz

• 06-02-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

He's come up a few times in this forum but not in a little while. Has anyone heard his new one, Black Sea, on Touch? Similar to Venice but not a carbon copy, good stuff. I'm currently listening to another recent one of his with Werner Dafeldecker and Martin Brandlmayr called Till The Old World's Blown Up And A New One Is Created which is far calmer than the title would suggest. Quite different from Fennesz solo but just as good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I have Venice, and I've enjoyed it, but haven't fully become accustomed to it yet.
    Filles de Kilimanjaro by Miles Davis is keeping me away from a re-listen at the moment :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnGl

Very good album, I've given it a lot of spins recently.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah this is on my list of CD's to buy. Trying to curtail spending on music though, it had got stupidly out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I know that feeling, although usually I'm quietly impressed with how many pages of music purchases I find on my credit card bill :D

I do recommend you check out Black Sea sooner rather than later, it's a great album.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I tend to be impressed too by all the music transactions on my statement, my wife on the other hand... :pac:

I still haven't got 'Endless Summer' actually, that too has been in my discogs want-list for a while.

On the subject of buying too much music, I was actually somewhat disciplined over the last couple of weeks and got to know some CD's I bought during last year a LOT better - some I had dismissed as being ok have now become gems in my collection. A lot to be said for taking a break to get to know what you already have! I find a lot of the time I can't keep up with what I buy so after these last couple of weeks I really am going to keep it under control. Well, except for the 3 I ordered yesterday on Amazon which I just had to have :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

"Endless Summer" is lovely. His "Field Recordings" compilation is mostly really good too. Haven't heard the most recent one you named, John.

Are any of you folks familiar with Tim Hecker? He ploughs a similar furrow to Fennesz, though the overall sound is less guitar-saturated and more formally abstract. (Some of Fennesz's stuff is held back a bit by his predilection for relatively familiar chord sequences, in my opinion.) I recommend Hecker's albums "Radio Amor" (Mille Plateaux) and "Harmony In Ultraviolet" (Kranky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnGl

Yeah Tim Hecker is great, definite +1 on Harmony In Ultraviolet. Radio Amor is on my list of albums to get soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

+1 for Tim Hecker, hes great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If I had to choose, I think "Radio Amor" is my favourite of the two. It has a very focussed sound palette and mood, even though it's quite singular in its overall sound.
    JohnGl wrote: »
    Yeah Tim Hecker is great, definite +1 on Harmony In Ultraviolet. Radio Amor is on my list of albums to get soon.

I've only got Ultraviolet in Harmony and it's fantastic. You're right, he is working on a similar spectrum to Fennesz. According to the Kranky site, there's a new Hecker album out in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 jiminynuggets

Check out Oren Ambarchi if you like a bit of Fennesz and Hecker. Been really enjoying his stuff lately, esp. 'Grapes From The Estate', Pan American 'For Waiting, For Chasing' is worth a listen also.

Advertisement