Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lookin for Pugalier

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eaves78

mayogirl wrote: »
    I have been lookin 4 ages 4 a pugalier dog would anybody know where or who I could get one please:o
    take nio notice,i have a pugulier and he gorgeous look in bargain pages you mind find some,like all dog breeds you cant garentee your dogs health,kids love him and he well looked after,good luck with your pugulier..oh and be aware of ridiculus prices even if you did buy just a pug,£500/£900 for a dog!! these breeders should have a ban on high prices xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

eaves78 wrote: »
    I am not telling fibs,I didnt mean she trained as in sit down,fetch ect,yes had her a few days and she started using the training pads to wee ect,why would I tell fibs about that? lol and I meant she a livley little thing,and you could also have health problems with any puppy you buy,weather its a pedigree or crossbreed! whats everys ones problem your all barmy lol I brought a puppy he is well loved well looked after so whats your problem,you say these things about humans when there are mixed races would you???...Can I JUST POINT OUT A MONGRELL IS A DOG WITH LOTS OF BREEDS IN HIM AND A CROSSBREED IS 2 DOGS...so stop moaning about pugs and breeds its a dog a pet lol do I need to hold a white flag on here,I respect what you are all saying but honestly why do breeders sell there puppies at a high price anyways? £500..£900 whatver breed it is why would anyone sell a dog for such high prices???

Em, i think you will find thats wrong. A mongrel is a description for a cross breed dog.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mongrel
    As i already stated why breeders sell pups at high prices i wont repeat myself, see my post above about the costs involved in breeding and that is why breeders charge what they do for their pups, when they do it right.

It costs money to breed a litter of pups properly so obv the breeder is going to charge accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

take nio notice,i have a pugulier and he gorgeous look in bargain pages you mind find some,like all dog breeds you cant garentee your dogs health,kids love him and he well looked after,good luck with your pugulier..oh and be aware of ridiculus prices even if you did buy just a pug,£500/£900 for a dog!! these breeders should have a ban on high prices xx

Have you a clue about anything to do with breeding??? Obv not, so please stop giving bad advice:mad:

If people are looking for pedigree dogs they should stay away from the "Bargain pages". It these type of people or so called breeders that are breeding unhealthy puppies and not giving a crap about the dogs they are breeding from, hence the low prices etc. Most of the dogs are never health tested and so on so you should stay well clear of these type of breeders. Its these so called breeders that should have a ban on them, not the decent breeders that do it properly with lots of care and time put into their litters, hence the higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

dosnt matter what dog/puppy you buy you will never garentee its health,and what is wrong with everybody moaning about puguliers lol I brought a puupy he is loved and we look after him...I cant understand why breeders have such high prices for puppies anyway? why would you sell pups for such a lot of money,I saw a british bulldog puppy for sale for £1500! its rediculus..

No you can't gaurantee health but you can increase your odds of having a healthy dog by only buying from a reputable breeder who does all the necessary health tests. Did the breeder of your pup show you any health certs on your pups parents? As you are buying a cross between 2 of the sickest breeds I am assuming the breeder had all the health certs available for you to go through when you went to view the pups?
    As for Bulldogs they are so expensive because they almost always need assistance breeding and whelping the pups, vet bills are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

dosnt matter what dog/puppy you buy you will never garentee its health,and what is wrong with everybody moaning about puguliers lol I brought a puupy he is loved and we look after him...I cant understand why breeders have such high prices for puppies anyway? why would you sell pups for such a lot of money,I saw a british bulldog puppy for sale for £1500! its rediculus..

Because bulldog's heads are so big they usually cannot mate or give birth naturally so require artificial insemenation and a c-section most of the time. I don't know how much that would cost off the top of my head but if the bitch went into labour in the middle of the night and you had to bring her in for a c-section at 4am i would imagine it would be very expensive, hence why they are so expensive.

What you are suggesting is a ban on reputable breeders. If you go searching for a cheap dog you will end up finding loads of scams and bad breeders and spending much more in the long run in vet's bills when the pup becomes sick.
    Try it yourself, have a look on some of the free ads sites and try contacting somebody who is promising either a free pug or a very cheap one, you will get a stock e-mail back saying they want a couple of hundred transferred to them for delivery fees from the isle of man or somewhere. Looking for a cheap purebred dog regardless of breed or crossbreed is a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think inbreeding to enhance features that are considered the 'standard' just so they can win titles are the only problems I have with reputable breeders, in this regard it could be said farmed pups are healthiereek.gif ...or maybe not.

But reputable breeders will make guarantees(you can return show quality pups if a genetic fault arises) and wont lie about registration and vaccinations, also you can call them any time to seek advise about the breed you bought from them.

In my opinion the breed standards need to be revised and only the characteristics that benefit and strengthen the breeds should be encouraged and not freaky exaggerations.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I think inbreeding to enhance features that are considered the 'standard' just so they can win titles are the only problems I have with reputable breeders, in this regard it could be said farmed pups are healthiereek.gif ...or maybe not.

In my opinion the breed standards need to be revised and only the characteristics that benefit and strengthen the breeds should be encouraged and not freaky exaggerations.;)

I don't know any breeder who inbreeds, line breeding isn't the same as inbreeding. Inbreeding would be mother to son, father to daughter and is frowned upon by any breeder I know. Line breeding is where parents might share a common ansector.

As for the breed standard, you can tweek it any way you like but at the end of the day it is still open to interpretation, how a particular judge reads the standard and believes it to be, the judges own personal taste, fashion at the time etc. For example in the GSD the standards only states that the withers slope to a level back, sounds ok in theory but it leaves it open for anyone to interpret how much of a slope there should be, how level the back should be etc.
    More emphasis on the compulsory health testing of breeding dogs and restrictions on just anyone breeding I believe would be helpful steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

lrushe wrote: »
    I don't know any breeder who inbreeds, line breeding isn't the same as inbreeding. Inbreeding would be mother to son, father to daughter and is frowned upon by any breeder I know. Line breeding is where parents might share a common ansector.

As for the breed standard, you can tweek it any way you like but at the end of the day it is still open to interpretation, how a particular judge reads the standard and believes it to be, the judges own personal taste, fashion at the time etc. For example in the GSD the standards only states that the withers slope to a level back, sounds ok in theory but it leaves it open for anyone to interpret how much of a slope there should be, how level the back should be etc.
    More emphasis on the compulsory health testing of breeding dogs and restrictions on just anyone breeding I believe would be helpful steps.

Yes but it was rampent in the past(inbreeding) and has led to the problems of today, and Breeders are not saying "ok, we have this problem with our breed, lets get together and find a way to insure these genetic issues are not past on" even if it means introducing and mixing in a much older breed, like something that is still around now and was used when creating what ever breed has the problems, this is not technically creating a cross(more like just adding more of whats already there), mixing breeds is against kennel club rules but before the kennel club many breeds were refined by adding new blood, for example wolves with huskies and the creation of the german shepard, which are a very healthy breed. Just an idea.

Advertisement