Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Round 1: shoutman vs Wreck

• 06-02-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

shoutman wrote: »
    Shout FC Manager: Shoutman

Lehmann
    --Lauren----McGrath----Short----Le Saux--
    Roy
    gerard(c)
    Barnes
    Young
    Tevez

drogba

Captain: Steven Gerard
    Free Kick: Young, Gerard, Barnes
    Corner: Roy, Young

Team strategy
    Pace to burn down the wings, two of the best passers in the premiership in midfield, a superb forward who is as good in the air as he is with the ball at his feet. A defensive back four that will be hard to match and one of the best goalkeepers in premiership history minded the goal.
    I believe the beauty of my team is that I can break down the opposition in so many different ways. My side is an aggressively attacking side, but my back four counteract this as a solid defensive unit. My team can play shortpassing, through balls, long balls, play it down the wing all as good as any team. The midfield are passing maestro's. I have two of the fastest wingers in premiership history and a solid target man. A combination of talent, skill and work ethic.
    I believe on their day, my team are absolute world beaters.

By Round

Round 1
    Steven Gerrard (c)
    sport-graphics-2007_704731a.jpg
    Steven Gerard is captain fantastic and he will be my captain fantastic, leading Shout FC from the heart of midfield. A box to box midfielder and one of the very best in the world.
    Round 2
    Paul "God" McGrath
    00002b8c0c8r.jpg
    Possibly the best player Ireland has ever produced. He will forever be known as "God" to all Aston Villa fans. When he played he made it look effortless. One of the best ever central defenders. I am delighted for him to be my rock at the back.
    Round 3
    Didier Drogba
    didier-drogba.jpg
    One of Soocer's finest athletes. Great in the air and with a fantastic goal scoring touch. Ge could of been a round one pick, as he is one of the best strikers to have played in the premiership.
    Round 4
    Ashley Young
    Ashley-Young_1122570.jpg
    One of the fastest players in the premiership, Young has pace to burn, great technical abilities, trickery to beat players, fantastic from the set piece and can score the more then occasional goal. On fire again this season, having won the player of the month twice already! Also Young can play on the left, right, up front or behind the front man, free role heaven.
    Round 5
    John Barnes
    _39881127_barnes270g.jpg
    It can be argued that Barnes was well past his best when he played in the premiership, that said he still played well over fifty games for a top four club at premiership level. His knowledge of the game along with his fantastic ability and the odd scorcher or too warrants him a place in midfield partnering Gerard.
    Round 6
    Graham Le Saux
    LeSaux.jpg
    Le Saux was one of the best defensive left backs in premiership history, good levels of aggression, great ethic and a fantastic footballer, no right wing in the premiership will have an easy time of it.
    Round 7
    Carlos Tevez
    Carlos_Tevez_Manchester_United_Premier_League_801193.jpg
    The Argentian terrier is one of the hardest workers in the premiership, he will most likely play off Drogba, moping up any loose play from the back foor and often dropping back into midfield to help out with shoring it up. A fantastic talent who scores important goals.
    Round 8
    Lauren
    lauren.jpg
    Taking his place at right back, Lauren is another defensive minded right back who does his job aggressively and in a technically good style. Himself and Le Saux might have opposition managers thinking that playing it down the wings is not the optimum play.
    Round 9
    Bryan Roy
    ss167.jpg
    Another speedster on the right wing. Roy was possibly the first premiership foreign star becoming a household name at Notts forrest. Like Young, Roy had serious gas, he could beat people and had a superb cross, Drogba would have loved to be playing with this dutch wonder.
    Round 10
    Jens Lehmann
    images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5CJens-Lehmann.jpg
    One of the best premiership keepers, FACT! My best value pick by a mile imo.
    Round 11
    Craig Short
    B684986F-947D-F4F6-5B1E478B72AB8650.jpg
    Fantastic defender, underrated both during his career and now. Himself and McGrath's playing style suit each other down to the ground, both are great in the air and aggressive in the tackle, but technically great at the same time.

summary
    I am happy with my team. If I did it all again I would make but two changes to my side. Barnes would be dropped with Gaz Baz taking his place and on the right I would have logged in earlier in the day and taked Pederson (that I think Roy and Pederson offer different things and am not entirely sure which man would have worked better with my side).
    It was good fun and once again I'd like to thank Lloyd for organising this and his tireless work.

See you all in the cup.

vs

Roy Keane
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Lucas Radebe
    Colin Hendry
    Ole Gunnar Solskjær
    Gael Clichy
    Nwanko Kanu
    David Platt
    Kasey Keller
    Nick Barmby
    Vedran Corluka

Keller

Corluka
    Hendry
    Radebe
    Clichy

Ljunberg
    Keane (C)
    Platt
    Barmby

Kanu
    Solskjær

Wreck invited to do a writeup via pm...

Which Team Would perform better over the course of a league season? 17 votes

shoutman
    0%
    Wreck
    100%
    PiEDont be at yourselfSuprSiwardiemayordenisJazzyMr.Nice Guyshoutman5starpoolMelionTrippieredzerdrogFrisbee[Deleted User]IduRichTeaeagle eye 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Wreck
    I'd like to point out that Ashley Young would be given a free role in most match's like he has at Villa this season. It allows him to double up on a full back with Roy, and also cut in field to link up.

I believe that My team would definatley have the beating of Wrecks side. My defence is more then a match for the attacking threat which he poses and I feel I have a far better attacking edge then his side. Yes Keane can break down opposition attacks, but he can only be in one place at a time. Also I feel the pace of my attack with give the opposition back four some problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Eh I already did a write up, I'll repost it in a sec.

Final Team

Here's my final line up:

Kasey Keller

V Corluka
    L Radebe
    C Hendry
    G Clichy

F Ljungberg----D Platt
    Roy Keane---N Barmby

N Kanu
    OG Solskjaer

In a team full of leaders and top pros, Roy Keane will get the captain's armband.

And the order in which I picked them:

1 Roy Keane
    2 Freddie Ljungberg
    3 Lucas Radebe
    4 Colin Hendry
    5 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    6 Gael Clichy
    7 Nwanko Kanu
    8 David Platt
    9 Kasey Keller
    10 Nick Barmby
    11 Verdan Corluka

I think Keane should have been everyone's number one pick, was delighted to get him. I think Solskjaer, Platt and Barmby are unbelievable value for the rounds they were picked in. I probably could have left Colin Hendry and Kanu until later rounds.

I think my team has actually turned out pretty well. It's well balanced, and full of consistent and reliable performers. My keeper, while not spectacular, is solid. I think the defense is excellent, there aren't many better central partnerships then Radebe and Hendry. Clichy and Corluka are both accomplished defenders, capable of offering something going forward also.

The midfield is again strong. Keane and Platt were both fantastic players. Keane will be the driving force of midfield, dictating the pace of the game. Platt will both work his socks off and get forward to score goals. Goals will also come from Barmby and Ljungberg on the flanks.

Up front, one of the most intelligent and proficent strikers of the premiership era will both score and create goals. And Kanu will offer the flair and creativity that will open opposing defenses.

Biggest weakness in the side is a lack of frightening pace.

shoutman has one of the better teams in the draft, but my defence is rock-solid and my midfield will totaly dominate his which is far too attack minded.

Devastated to lose, I personally think this was the toughest tie of the round and electioneering aside I do think my team would perform better over the course of a premiership season, and in a one-off match for that matter. But GL in the later rounds shoutman.

Anyway, 16 new additions to my boards enemies list (one of you was on there already-you know who you are) - so watch your backs. At the moment I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you retract your vote now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, ... and I will kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wreck wrote: »
    Anyway, 16 new additions to my boards enemies list (one of you was on there already-you know who you are) - so watch your backs. At the moment I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you retract your vote now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, ... and I will kill you.

Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Glad I watched Taken the other night, I lol'd at that post :D

For what it's worth I did vote for you Wreck, it was a close call (as reflected in the results).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Wreck
    Usurprisingly Wreck, I honestly think my team would perform better in the course of a season. That said, I agree that it was possibly the most even match up in this round. And I thank you for your kind words in defeat.

Advertisement