Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to protect sharks.

• 06-02-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am often very critical of some of the EU laws and regulations however I give this one 100%.

Europe's fishing commissioner has launched a plan to save the dwindling numbers of Europe's sharks, which are under threat from overfishing and hunting.

Figures published last year by the International Union for Conservation of Nature showed that nearly one third of sharks and rays in the north east Atlantic face extinction through the effects of overfishing. Seven per cent are classed as critically endangered and one-fifth are now regarded as "near threatened".

Perhaps one of the most sickening trends is the hunting for their high value fins of certain species which are a delicacy on the Asian markets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7872032.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Laudable intentions indeed but still only proposals to consider legislation. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the EU to pass this in the current political turmoil when more pressing issues trouble the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Laudable intentions indeed but still only proposals to consider legislation. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the EU to pass this in the current political turmoil when more pressing issues trouble the world.
    They should concentrate more on the Sharks that have been running the banks :p

Advertisement