Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Career Paths.

• 06-02-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭

I have raised this question on other threads, however i think it deserves one of it's own. There are too many Technician's being made unemployed, so it would be good to see others offering some advice. What can Technican's do during the downturn?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Cant really answer your question but if there was just a downturnin the construction industry we would survive. With the global downturn in every industry its barman or undertaker.
    There is also the worlds most established career but I know very few ATs that would be any good at that:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Retro-Fit

back to school is the only option, get into green tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Retro-Fit wrote: »
    back to school is the only option, get into green tech.
    I don't see how that is a "real" option so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't see how that is a "real" option so to speak

May not be an option to those that have bills to pay, however it is a positive option. If you think with the introduction of the building control bill, the contraction of the economy, qualifications are becoming a must.

Recognition by the CIAT is important of our degree cources and ensuring that when the IATGN finally set up properly, that they do not forget the ones with Dips and experience. It was not what was being discussed last however, with them suggesting that only people with a degree could enter at the top. This is still at discussion stage and i think it is important that people remind them that the degree was not available to the vast majority of technician's when they graduated. So, back to college is not a bad idea, whether it is just a post-grad. This should be linked with the professional organisations (RIAI & CIAT).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

My wife has a degree, while I only have the diploma. While I am not usually one to rubbish a qualification (especially if she finds out:D) this seems abit unfair.

All that they did for the degree year seems to have been sustainable technologies and green construction. Something all of us have probably become more than familiar with through experience especially with the development of DEAP over the old HER programme.

IMO its experience+original qualification that should count above pure acedemic paperwork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Slig wrote: »
    My wife has a degree, while I only have the diploma. While I am not usually one to rubbish a qualification (especially if she finds out:D) this seems abit unfair.

All that they did for the degree year seems to have been sustainable technologies and green construction. Something all of us have probably become more than familiar with through experience especially with the development of DEAP over the old HER programme.

IMO its experience+original qualification that should count above pure acedemic paperwork

I agree fully with what you say. The response has been how do you grade experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Teckies are capable of any job in any field that requires investigation, choosing one option over another option, understanding diverse subjects, understanding materials, etc.

We are trained to check, check and double check. We are programmed to follow the letter of the law and understand diverse subjects. We always want to improve something, organise something, create something etc.

We tend to be loyal, honest and hardworking with a good knowledge of music! ( Years of background radio!)

Long hours / lack of sleep are a standard feature of life, since the cruel bastism of college. A "deadline" is almost a religous experience - it must not be missed, if it is we must sacrafice a limb!:D

Advertisement