Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair play to Sunderland......

• 06-02-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Sunderland have just announced that because of the current financial climate they are to reduce the price of season tickets for next season,
    With the way football and modern game has become all about cash and balance sheets , Its nice to see a club actually think about their fans .

Fair play..

Ps I don't think we'll see many other clubs follow them.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Are they thinking about their fans though or thinking about their sales. What I mean is there is no point having season tickets at a price they won't sell at.

Sounds look good PR to me. There season ticket sales are down, so reduce prices to get them selling and also pass it off like we are doing it as some sort of favor to the fans.

Maybe I am just cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Sorry to be sceptical, but businesses everywhere are reducing their prices, and they're hardly doing it for the benefit of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Let's hope Man United follow by example. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are they thinking about their fans though or thinking about their sales. What I mean is there is no point having season tickets at a price they won't sell at.

Sounds look good PR to me. There season ticket sales are down, so reduce prices to get them selling and also pass it off like we are doing it as some sort of favor to the fans.

Maybe I am just cynical.

Nah I reckon you're sound on the money with that logic. Football clubs aren't charities at the end of the day, they are businesses. Reduce prices to increase sales is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Now were they to be guaranteed 100% sales of next years season tickets and still reduced prices that would have been a noble gesture, but since their sales were down this is simply a revenue boosting scheme with the added bonus PR of appearing benevolent to their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Its not that they wanted to reduce the price its simply because thet have to sell them to survive.

Pure business!

P.S I'm a Mackem fan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sbragia is probably on about 1/50000 of Roy's wages, so they can afford to butter up the fans for relegation give something back to the loyal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Chelski?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

stovelid wrote: »
    relegation

Please let it happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Maybe I am just cynical.

Yep I think that's it

With the recession, and the lack of Roy Keane there, the demand for tickets won't be as high. Down comes the price

Basic economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Can't complain with being able to get a season ticket for a child for just £19 pound if you are a season ticket holder,

Is Gary Glitter a Sunderland fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hey Rockman I've got some magic beans for sale if you want to buy some. I normally sell them for €500 but because of the current financial climate I'll sell them to you for.....I dunno, the price of a cow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Around 33% (on average) of this reduction is the 2.5% VAT difference from 2008, good to see they including it in the auld PR, Gordon Brown would be proud.

Still quite expensive for Championship football I would have thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Everton have been dropping prices or having price freezes over the past few seasons as well.

A lot of clubs seem to be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Everton have been dropping prices or having price freezes over the past few seasons as well.

A lot of clubs seem to be doing it.

Arsenal went up last season, will be interesting to see if we reduce for nxt season, hopefully we will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal went up last season, will be interesting to see if we reduce for nxt season, hopefully we will.

It's one of the most expensive isn't it?

A grand at least at the moment?

It's one of the most expensive isn't it?

A grand at least at the moment?

Yes that would be the cheapest, but they also have some very expensive tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mine went up from £679 to £750 for this season. Away ST jumped by £35 to £700 as well, though with the rate of exchange in my favour I paid €125 less...:D

We've announed a price freeze for next season (or two seasons if you pay for both now) as long as we renew by mid-April, so won't know if we're PL at that stage. Crafty buggers.

Yes that would be the cheapest, but they also have some very expensive tickets.

You get 7 cup games though, is that correct? Includes CL games?

You get 7 cup games though, is that correct? Includes CL games?

That is true and if we have more than 7 cup games, they just add it to the cost of your season ticket next season. I would say we might freeze prices for nxt season, first lot of st are up for renewal in the nxt couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what we do.

Mine went up from £679 to £750 for this season. Away ST jumped by £35 to £700 as well, though with the rate of exchange in my favour I paid €125 less...:D

The fx rate is a big plus for us, will also make a good saving this year :D

• Advertisement

The fx rate is a big plus for us, will also make a good saving this year :D

Have to ditch the away portion of my ST next season so won't make as much of a killing, but I 'd have been looking at somewhere in the region of €400 cheaper if I'd gone all-in.

We've announed a price freeze for next season (or two seasons if you pay for both now) as long as we renew by mid-April, so won't know if we're PL at that stage. Crafty buggers.
    ''Arry'. 'We'. '...buggers.' Come on!

SectionF wrote: »
    ''Arry'. 'We'. '...buggers.' Come on!

20 past midnight on a Friday night and you've nothing better to do than comment on the Sham 69 song lyrics in my tagline, my use of the word bugger instead of the more colloquial bas*ards, bolloxes, or wan*ers and me referring to THFC as "we". Well done.

If you've anything more to add to the topic of ST prices work away, boards caters to most tastes so I'm sure you can find a dead-horse flogging forum somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Hey Rockman I've got some magic beans for sale if you want to buy some. I normally sell them for €500 but because of the current financial climate I'll sell them to you for.....I dunno, the price of a cow?

Jesus mate , does your wife know you are willing to sell her ?????

Anyway yes its a PR stunt ,but its a stunt I hope catchs on will some of the bigger clubs :) ,
    Also some of Quinn's actions since taking the job ie paying for the stranded fans to get home have made me think that a small part of him has the fans in mind when making these choices............... maybe?

They all can't be cold hearted money grabbing B**TARDS !
    ...... or can they?

20 past midnight on a Friday night and you've nothing better to do than comment on the Sham 69 song lyrics in my tagline, my use of the word bugger instead of the more colloquial bas*ards, bolloxes, or wan*ers and me referring to THFC as "we". Well done.

If you've anything more to add to the topic of ST prices work away, boards caters to most tastes so I'm sure you can find a dead-horse flogging forum somewhere.
    Hey, don't take it to 'eart mate. If you're a genuine geezah with real connections to the Spers, then I can assure you that you have my most heartfelt apologies. Apologies also for my pafetic London accent: Oi 'eard it in a song, din' oI? :D

Advertisement