Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a good wireless Network setup guide anyone?

Options
  • 06-02-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭

I would only ever come in here for tech support as a last resort, coz I know it's not what it's for generally. Im a noob by no stretch, but cant seem to figure this out. Ive googled wireless guides etc but cant get it set up, so maybe I need help from soneone with same router etc as me:

Bought a new Acer laptop with Vista on it (nightmare getting it connected to internet at all).

Before I was using just basic LAN cat5 into an XP laptop, run from a hub (with 3 LAN pc's) which is connected to BT Zyxel 660 via cat5. Worked a treat.

I can connect the new laptop via LAN to this and get it running after several reboots and network connection enablings etc (that Vista seems to have a horn for).

Now. I bought a TP-Link wireless router (I dont think there's a modem included, so my trial runs have been by hanging it off BT's zyxel router/modem and running the hub from it).

I've tried going in to configure the TP-Link using the router ip thing (192.168....) etc but cant figure out all the ip settings/mac address stuff etc. My laptop can "see" the router as a wireless network, but there is no internet connectivity coming in through it. Is this an account permission issue etc (ISP username/pass), or tcp:ip settings or what? I have been in and around windows trying to configure settings etc but I dont wanna feck anything up.

Anyone technically gifted enuff to point me in right direction??

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

no?

sob :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

www.computeractive.co.uk how to section

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What is the model of the wifi router you bought and does it have an RJ45 WAN port or an RJ11?

Sounds like a routing issue.

MC

TP-LINK WR641G is the make and model. It's got one RJ45 WAN (I believe) and 4 LAN ports...

Ive just spent the last 2 hours trying to get this sorted. Im actually so frustrated. Basic logic tells me there's some breakdown in communication between BT Zyxel and TP-Link, as I can see the TP-Link as an available wireless network, albeit "local access" only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The zyxel 660 is a router with a build in modem so you are duplicating the routing functions in your set up.

So you need to turn off the routing functions in either one of the routers you are using (otherwise known as bridging). I don't know either of these machines but there should be an option in the set up pages to turn off the routing. As you have a working network already I would suggest trying turning it off in the wireless router which I think turns it into a switch.

Excellent stuff dub45 - Cheers, will give this a bash when I get home later.
    When I'm finished I essentially want to have the hub (all the currently "wired" computers) running out of the TP-Link, with wireless available at the same time for various laptops around the house. This is because the Zyxel only has 1 x LAN out. Would I be right in assuming I will need to turn off routing on Zyxel though in order to achieve the following?:

Phone line -> Zyxel 660 -> TP-Link -> Hub (3 PC's)
    ................................................-> WiFi Laptops

Will post update once I give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

did you get this problem sorted?

Advertisement