Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Oral HELP!!

Options
  • 06-02-2009 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

well i've my mock oral on monday with my teacher who happens to be french...i'm not very well prepared as you may have guessed and was looking for some impressive general phrases, french seanfhocails and useful subjonctive sentences to impress her and get at least a B2. thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

il faut qu'on fasse face a la situation economique...

My favourite oral phrase - means we must face up to the economic situation. There is your nice saying and a subjunctive all rolled into one.

Another favourite word of mine - vraisemblablement. Means most likely.

Vraisemblablement la recession durera 2 ans.

All very depressing but hope they help :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

r14 wrote: »
    il faut qu'on fasse face a la situation economique...

My favourite oral phrase - means we must face up to the economic situation. There is your nice saying and a subjunctive all rolled into one.

Another favourite word of mine - vraisemblablement. Means most likely.

Vraisemblablement la recession durera 2 ans.

All very depressing but hope they help :cool:

fantastic only problem is im going to try steer well clear of the economic problems as i dont and wont have the vocab for it.

need real general things to throw out there when i'm stumbling. cheers though appreciated

Then could use something like:

Il faut qu'on fasse plus pour l'environnement/ les chomeurs/ les sans-abri/ anything else you want to say.

Nice one I use was: si j'etais premier ministre il n'y aurait plus de pollution/ gens sans emplois/ infections nosocomiales/ etc etc

Another nice big word: infections nosocomiales
    Means an infection that you catch in hospital like MRSA. If you go anywhere near health could throw that one in.

r14 wrote: »
    Then could use something like:

Il faut qu'on fasse plus pour l'environnement/ les chomeurs/ les sans-abri/ anything else you want to say.

Nice one I use was: si j'etais premier ministre il n'y aurait plus de pollution/ gens sans emplois/ infections nosocomiales/ etc etc

Another nice big word: infections nosocomiales
    Means an infection that you catch in hospital like MRSA. If you go anywhere near health could throw that one in.

thats great thanks. may i ask where you get these.

Speaking French in college every day for 4 years and studying in Paris ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Just keep it basic,

Il faut que je sois- i need to be

You could say anything after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Il faut que le gouvernement prennes des measures pour ameliorer la situation avant qu'il soit trop tard.
    The government must take measures to improve the situation before it's too late.

My favourite phrase. Can be used for ANY problems. Drugs, social problems in general, blah blah.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Il faut que le gouvernement prennes des measures pour ameliorer la situation avant qu'il soit trop tard.
    The government must take measures to improve the situation before it's too late.

My favourite phrase. Can be used for ANY problems. Drugs, social problems in general, blah blah.

Quelles mesures proposez-vous pour ameliorer la situation?

Not such an easy question is it? :p

That's the sort of thing you'll be asked for saying that so you need to be prepared ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

If you get stuck, laugh at it and say "je suis désolé, je parle le francais comme une vache espagnole"

sounds mad but that's their way of saying they speak french (or whatever language) badly.

If you get stuck, laugh at it and say "je suis désolé, je parle le francais comme une vache espagnole"

sounds mad but that's their way of saying they speak french (or whatever language) badly.

Er, it's too informal for an oral exam but even the content probably wouldn't go down well :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Quelles mesures proposez-vous pour ameliorer la situation?

Not such an easy question is it? :p

That's the sort of thing you'll be asked for saying that so you need to be prepared ;)

Hmmm, je ne sais pas totallement... je ne suis pas politician!
    Peut-etre, j'investirais plus d'argent dans...(w/e)
    J'instruirais les jeunes sur le sujet....
    etc :D

I got an A in French last year, so I've a pretty good idea of how the oral twists and turns in the most horrible ways.
    That line still absolutely rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

D'habitude, je *insert passe-temps here* chaque semaine mais en ce moment je suis trop occupée avec mes études/ j'ai une montagne de travail á faire...

______ est hors de question!

This is really simple stuff, my oral plan is keep it fairly basic and have a fancy sentence or two for the document

My teacher gave me a brilliant tip the other day. If they ask you a question you feel unprepared for give them a one sentence answer in a sarcastic voice whilst making a "Why-are-you-asking-me-this-you-nutter" face, aknowledging the question but sort of dodging it. It's a very French way of behaving imo ;)

(My teacher honestly told me to do this, but I wouldn't advise it)

bythewoods wrote: »
    Hmmm, je ne sais pas totallement... je ne suis pas politician!
    Peut-etre, j'investirais plus d'argent dans...(w/e)
    J'instruirais les jeunes sur le sujet....
    etc :D

I got an A in French last year, so I've a pretty good idea of how the oral twists and turns in the most horrible ways.
    That line still absolutely rocks.

any chance you could pm me with tips and with some phrases that will get me good marks?.

Thanks in Advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

pm? Selfish :pac:

cautioner wrote: »
    pm? Selfish :pac:

God gave you fingers if you want help ask him to pm you

...God?

It's me, Cautioner.

I know I haven't been talking to you much lately, but...

I seriously need help with my French oral dude, I am in waaaay over my head here, it's like, aaaah! Plz pm me with any tips or anything plz!

kthxbi!

celtic723 wrote: »
    God gave you fingers if you want help ask him to pm you

For confusing my gender there shall be no such favours. Haha.
    Am, well, if anyone wants me to help.. I will? I'm quite useless overall though, haha.

Except racism. I fúcking love racism.
    The subject, not the eh.. actual.. racism thing.

"J'ai honte d'admettre que les irlandais sont devenu plein de prejuges contre les gens qui vient en irlande pour cherché du travail ou un peu de pain" - I'm ashamed to admit that the Irish have become full of prejudice against the peole who've come to Ireland looking for work or.. a little bread.
    My spelling's quite off I'd imagine.

You're good at this whole business. I must start getting grinds or something, up my game...

P.S: Thanks for giving me fingers. Appreciate that.

Thanks for giving me fingers.

:p

Le nombre des jeunes qui sont sexuellement - active est de nos jours indigne. Le nombre de grossesses de l'adolescence monte sans interruption. Aussi, le nombre de sexuellement - la maladie transmise
    augment, comme le SIDA.

(I'm pretty sure that's not grammatically correct. Please do not use this in your oral :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

dude , try http://freetranslation.paralink.com/, just type in the sentence and it'll translate to the lang. you want (in your case french)

and if you click the big speaker a french woman will give you the pronunciation

hope this helps

• Advertisement

Actually, I mentioned this in my blog there recently (Subtle? http://leaving-cert.net/category/jennies-journal/)
    Wikipedia.
    It's offered in french, go check it out! Plenty of lovely lovely stuff about just about everything. It's not exactly "phrases" but if you want stuff to say about Barack Obama or anything, http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accueil is your man.

You're Jennie! I didn't realise. Great blog. Big fan. Sign my baby?

You're Jennie! I didn't realise. Great blog. Big fan. Sign my baby?

*blushes*
    Yeah, I am pretty great. Throw your babies my way.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    dude , try http://freetranslation.paralink.com/, just type in the sentence and it'll translate to the lang. you want (in your case french)

and if you click the big speaker a french woman will give you the pronunciation

hope this helps

They don't work. A computer translator cannot pick up gender, sense, tense. For example it will translate a place as a person and will confuse the pronouns etc etc. Totally unrealiable.

It translated:

I don't give a **** - Je ne donne pas de merde

It should be: Je n'en ai rien à péter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

my god im hopin to study french and commerce next year in galway and we haven even touched on topics such as the economy or drugs .. just the basics .. were focusing on the pres now .. should i be worried??? we havent even spoken about the document .. i asked others in my class bout it and they didn even know it existed .. anyone wanna trade french teachers please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You're good at this whole business. I must start getting grinds or something, up my game...

P.S: Thanks for giving me fingers. Appreciate that.
    He/She is a repeat.

They spend their saturday evenings learning phrases by the fire. If only the rest of us knew what it feels like during the exam in June!

K4t wrote: »
    He/She is a repeat.

They spend their saturday evenings learning phrases by the fire. If only the rest of us knew what it feels like during the exam in June!

I can't remember the last Saturday night I was at home tbh :P

But yes, the not knowing feeling is shít.

Advertisement