Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Sinusitis / Septoplasty

Options
  • 06-02-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello all,

I am sitting here with a blocked, bloody and crusty nose which has stopped bleeding 2 days after my operation. The post operation was not a very pleasant experience, especially removing the packing.

I am curious does anyone have experience and can give me some advice on aftercare and to minimise the discomfort as much as possible.

Mr Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Hi Mr Mike.

I've just elected to go in for a septoplasty, due to suffering from sinus and breathing problems since a sporting accident over three years ago. I've also developed allergic rhinitis, which, to be frank, is a balls as well, and I'm hoping that the surgery will give me some relief.

I see you had your surgery about one month ago (I hope the pain abated - I know from personal experience that ice packs help ease the pain post-op, but that's a bit late for you now!) - how are you doing since? Has the septoplasty been a success?

Eng

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Mike

hullo Engineer

Seems like we have much in common, I am an engineer too, well at least professionally! And joined boards to seek advice. Anyway, the operation is in a nutshell extremely uncomfortable. Its only painful for one day and a night, and what a night, you wont sleep at all the night after the operation and then its a major ouch when the packing is pulled out. But otherwise, its just discomfort there after.

A golden rule is don t pick at your nose for two weeks after the op. Also don t blow it for the first three days, then blow it in small controlled bursts. Finally i recommend using sterimar salty nose spray. This will moisten and clear the nose.

My operation overall is a success, its not perfect but a big improvement. I too have allergies, dust mite and pollen, this combined with a deviated septum is horrible as we know. I wish you luck and remember it takes guts. Look forward to a wet mouth, long sleep, a deeper clearer voice and no dreaded headache.

Mr Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hi MrMike. We can't give you advice on caring for your post=op site. Sorry.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055475288

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement