Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Stupid Question were you asked?

Options
  • 06-02-2009 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I worked in a music shop a few years ago,at the time we sold lots of blank videos ,one particular brand was BBC blank videos,a girl came to the counter with a pack and asked me if she could tape RTE1 and RTE" etc or was it just the BBC channels she could tape.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

I used to work in an O2 store... once was asked

"Can I have a refund?"

Thinking thats a fair enough question? It was preceded by the statement

"I dropped my phone into a pint last night and now it won't switch on"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Had the following conversation so much coming up to Christmas:

Me: Just to double-check that you have a Blu-Ray player?
    Customer: What's a Blu-Ray / Will it not play in a DVD player?

So many times I wanted to ask if DVDs will play in their video recorders...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Worked in the Retail industry since I was 16. Worked in Superquinn, HMV and I did computer repairs with a friend of my fathers. I've heard many a tarded question:

Q: Why are you selling out of date bananas? Look they're green!
    Q: Do you sell a Christmas album with songs by metal bands? My son loves metal and I thought a Christmas album would be perfect.
    Q: Why has my screen gone? I was doing work and I left for 5 mins and now it's gone!

A: That's a screen saver. All you have to do is move the mouse.

Ugh - I hate customers.

ok most of the questions on this page could be put down to a generation gap but in fairness, the bananas.... now thats just thick
    Q: Why are you selling out of date bananas? Look they're green!

puglover wrote: »
    ok most of the questions on this page could be put down to a generation gap but in fairness, the bananas.... now thats just thick

I know I didn't even laugh when she said it. I just told her how bananas worked and just shook my head when she left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

sashasky wrote: »
    I worked in a music shop a few years ago,at the time we sold lots of blank videos ,one particular brand was BBC blank videos,a girl came to the counter with a pack and asked me if she could tape RTE1 and RTE" etc or was it just the BBC channels she could tape.:o

We still have the BBC VHS tapes in our house. :p

slightly off topic but I once sold kids shoes to a woman for her pet dog. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Last job middle of the afternoon standing at the desk in uniform behind the till and asked "Are yee open?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I worked in a part time IT job and I was asked to look at somebodies computer because it would not turn on.

I went over and looked under the desk to see it was not on so I swithed it on.

"oh(she says), I was pressing the power switch on the tv. What is that thing under the desk?"
    "Thats your computer."
    "Then whats this for?"
    "Thats the monitor"
    "Whats the difference?"

She was sitting next to the boss so I just threw him a "how did she pass the interview look". All he did was "shrug" :mad:

My friends works in IT and was given the job of setting up all the computers in the nuns section of nenagh hospitals new wing. He took them out of the box's, plugged them all in and went to start on the first but there was no electricity. The nun said "oh that wont be switched on until Friday, is that going to be a problem?" *Shrug again. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've worked in a toy shop, cinema, video shop, HMV and now a phone company, heard it all seen it all customer wise, god i need to get out of working with the public, I should write a book

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Q: Do you sell a Christmas album with songs by metal bands? My son loves metal and I thought a Christmas album would be perfect.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=38304

Just because someone knows more than you doesn't make them dumb.

• Advertisement

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=38304

Just because someone knows more than you doesn't make them dumb.

The event took place in 2003. 5 years before that album. I don't carry a crystal ball around in my fecking pocket or drive a DeLorean like you Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

The event took place in 2003. 5 years before that album. I don't carry a crystal ball around in my fecking pocket or drive a DeLorean like you Doc.

Shame on you son, shame on you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Berty wrote: »
    I worked in a part time IT job and I was asked to look at somebodies computer because it would not turn on.

I went over and looked under the desk to see it was not on so I swithed it on.

"oh(she says), I was pressing the power switch on the tv. What is that thing under the desk?"
    "Thats your computer."
    "Then whats this for?"
    "Thats the monitor"
    "Whats the difference?"

She was sitting next to the boss so I just threw him a "how did she pass the interview look". All he did was "shrug" :mad:

My friends works in IT and was given the job of setting up all the computers in the nuns section of nenagh hospitals new wing. He took them out of the box's, plugged them all in and went to start on the first but there was no electricity. The nun said "oh that wont be switched on until Friday, is that going to be a problem?" *Shrug again. :mad:

Had that with my parents as well...they can see the monitor so they assume "oh yeah..that's that computer thingy magiggy"
    Think it's the same with a lot of people that age.

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Shame on you son, shame on you! :pac:

Don't suppose you have a spare flux capacitor gathering dust in the attic? Could really use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Slightly off topic. worked in a butchers while I was in college. talkin away to my mate on a sunday mornin and he had the page 3 part of the star open... anyway this woman ran up to us and goes "oh how ye boys, i'm lookin for a bit of meat to bring back to the husband." to which my mate replied "i've got lump here, it's all juicy. It just needs to be popped into an oven until it gets nice and brown". She looks down and see's the magazine. She burst into laughter and ran off. was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I was working in River Island a few months back and i had a customer come up to me on the day our sale started.

Customer : "Id like to exchange these jeans i got for xmas i dont like them"
    Me : " ok thats grand but unfortunately we dont take exchanges today or tomorrow because our sale is starting "

Customer : "Oh ok ill just buy these so"
    Me : " Grand "

Customer after buying clothes "Oh i want to change the size actually" *runs off and gets different size*

Me when she comes back : "Sorry i told you we are not doing any exchanges today...."

Customer : "What?! This is an outrage i want to change the size"

Me : "Yeah im sorry but like i said we are not doing exchanges"

Customer : "I want to see your manager!!!!!"

Stupid Bítch.....

She is stupid but I don't think thats a good excuse in a shop to say we don't take exchanges because there is a sale starting. Thats a bit silly too. do all shops do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

A few years ago at the bus station a fella asked me what time was the 3.15 bus to Shannon. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I was working in River Island a few months back and i had a customer come up to me on the day our sale started.

Me : " ok thats grand but unfortunately we dont take exchanges today or tomorrow because our sale is starting "

Customer after buying clothes "Oh i want to change the size actually" *runs off and gets different size*

Me when she comes back : "Sorry i told you we are not doing any exchanges today...."

Stupid Bítch.....

*Point to self, Never shop in River island again! anal retentive Staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Stupid Bítch.....

She was dead right. Sh-it customer service on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Don_Cookie

One of the questions that gets me a lot a this time of year...

First,... I'm wearing a wooly hat, scarf, jacket etc.... and someone asks me "Are you cold"? . I'm thinking "no, i'm like the shaggin' michelan man can't you see, now if I was walking around in bermudas and a vest top then are you cold might be a good question" :mad:

btw, how long since you heard the word bermudas?>>> :P Is that a stupid question?

Stupid Bítch.....

She was dead right... ridiculous policy & I would have to check but probably contradicts the exchange policy printed on your receipts. BAD customer service!!

Musha wrote: »
    *Point to self, Never shop in River island again! anal retentive Staff

haha. brilliant.
    I was wondering alright. it sounded strange to me that a shop would refuse exchanges because there was a sale on. sounds like laziness more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

i worked in xtravision once..got asked if we rent ps3s?!

???? thats not so bad. I used to work in Movie Magic and we never rented ps3s/xboxs/ps2s or dvd players or anything. I know some places do.

D-A-V-E wrote: »

I don't find that particularly stupid.. As far as I can remember GAME used to rent out consoles before

What's so bad about that?

Maybe a mod could change the name of this thread to:

"Incidents of ignorance I displayed during work"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

A few years ago at the bus station a fella asked me what time was the 3.15 bus to Shannon. Seriously.

A fairly reasonable question if you ask me, he has obviously used Bus Eireann before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheLoc wrote: »
    haha. brilliant.
    I was wondering alright. it sounded strange to me that a shop would refuse exchanges because there was a sale on. sounds like laziness more than anything.

When i worked in a department store in Limerick, the same was said for Sale items

Thats not stupid, xtra vision used to do this for some earlier consoles

Advertisement