Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marilyn Manson

Options
  • 06-02-2009 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I went through a big Marilyn Manson phase as a teenager, and only recently have I started to listen again. The man/band has some quality songs!! Antichrist Superstar is great but I personally favour Mechanical Animals.

Any fans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I went through a manson phase last year. Yeah hes got some rockin' tunes, disposable teens would be my favourite track as I think he unites the don't give a fck attitude throughout his work with nihilism perfectly. He doesn't take himself too seriously either, its pretty obvious in the music, which is cool. My favourite albums would be Mechanical Animals and then Holywood. Antichrist Superstar is pretty good too. I prefer MA over the others as its his most serious effort and I like the Bowie and glam elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I personally favour Mechanical Animals.
    Any fans?

Same here. Any other Manson fans I bump into (rarely happens) usually think Mechanical Animals was his worst album. Personally I find his earlier stuff a bit teenagery but MechA and Holy wood are quality. Although some of the lyrics on Holy Wood are just put there to be controversial, great listen nonetheless.

I don't think AC was teenagery though, it was all about Nietzsche, part of trilogy in reverse, how satanic, with MA being part 2 and Hollywood being part 1, which details this ostracized weak dude becoming really powerful, taking a lot of drugs and then creating a fascist state. Portrait of an American family though is bit sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Some great songs...Haven't any albums though. Saw him live at Download and wasn't too impressed though. That "Eat Me, Drink Me" album was the latest release at that stage (which was pretty terrible it seemed...even to fans) and he played quite a bit from that so it didn't bode well.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Mechanical Animals is their best album IMO with Anti Christ Superstar falling in behind it.

*Switches on Dope Show*

:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Valmont wrote: »
    Same here. Any other Manson fans I bump into (rarely happens) usually think Mechanical Animals was his worst album. Personally I find his earlier stuff a bit teenagery but MechA and Holy wood are quality. Although some of the lyrics on Holy Wood are just put there to be controversial, great listen nonetheless.
    TBH i don't think i've even met another fan in person, not since I was a teen anyway.

But there's generally a stigma attached to being a fan, in that you must be a devil worshipping freak.... of course!! :rolleyes:

Favourite song at the minute is ''I don't like the drugs (but the drugs like me)'' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Been a fan since Portrait tho have yet to see him live, not a Maiden fan (awaits backlash) so couldnt warrant paying for a ticket especially in the cow shed RDS.
    Would prefer to see him in an intimate venue.

Mechanical Animals is a great album and I prefer the albums since then especially
    Golden Age of Grotesque and Eat Me, Drink Me.
    They both ooze with Alice Cooper's influence and are more melodic rather than industrial.

He has been quiet of late, probably off painting goats holes or the like.

edit..Have just read a new album should be out in May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I really like Marilyn Manson. I started listening to them when I was in college, of course got the stick one gets when they're a Manson fan. My favourite albums are Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals. I hope that the new album is better than Eat Me Drink Me, which was fairly meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Was much bigger fan when i was younger but i still turn on mechanical animals(my personal fave) and holy wood every now again and think, jaysus he had some quality tunes.

Wes boreland and twiggy are in his band in the manson band now though so itl be interesting to see how his new album turns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I quite like Marilyn Manson too. It's hard to pick a favourite album. For me it's probably a toss-up between Holy Wood and Golden Age of Grotesque.

I'm not normally a fan of music videos but his videos deserve a mention as always being worth a watch. I'm also a big fan of stuff from the 80's so covering Eurythmics, Soft Cell and Depeche Mode is a great idea as far as I'm concerned!

He also puts on an excellent live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

He was fantastic supporting Maiden! During the opening number he entered the stage swinging a chandelier, he performed tourniquet on 15ft hight stilts and the whole puppet stand performance at the end was incredible. The imagery for each song was really effective and Id say he'd be incredible indoor. Did anyone else purchase tickets for the cancelled point show in 2000 (i think). It was gonna be filmed for a DVD release but the film company pulled the plug at the last minute. Marilyn Manson live in Dublin on DVD would have been great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Anyone know what direction he's gonna be taking with the new album? Eat me, Drink Me was too much of a slow burner for my liking, it still had decent tunes but it wasn't a patch on Mechanical Animals or Holywood for me. Hopefully this time he's going to go back to slightly harder edged stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Its gonna be darker. Theres one track on it over 9mins long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I had a ticket for the cancelled show, think it was 2001. Was the reason for cancellation all down to the DVD company? If so that was lousy, he should have went ahead anyway. I remember hearing about some auld biddy group trying to stop the gig.

Nea wrote: »
    I had a ticket for the cancelled show, think it was 2001. Was the reason for cancellation all down to the DVD company? If so that was lousy, he should have went ahead anyway. I remember hearing about some auld biddy group trying to stop the gig.
    As far as i can remember it was because people were protesting so heavily complaining that he was burning crosses on stage back then.

John 5 is a seriously amazing guitarist, pity he's not in the band anymore, not that he was allowed to contribute much of his own style but some of it filtered through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

mechanical albums is a masterpiece...blew me away....other stuff is ok...song for song the other albums are very good but not as consistent or ambitious...
    theres songs on that album that out-bowie david bowie...

.i think its a crime that that album flopped...it just shows how much how commercial "gen x" rock and metal music is influenced by image...i mean how many kids who have motorhead t-shirts have heard a full motorhead album......

is it true that manson was walking through temple bar and some tracky skangs started slagging him saying..."ya fookin' queer ye...you one o' dem gothics!?...them marilyn mansons?!......i

John 5 is a seriously amazing guitarist, pity he's not in the band anymore, not that he was allowed to contribute much of his own style but some of it filtered through.
    Yup agree there, VERY underrated. His solo stuff is great. Wes borelands no slouch on the guitar either though. Another insanely underrated player just cause he was in limp bizkit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I share a lot with whats been said already

Been a fan since I was a teenager
    Saw him supporting for maiden too, back in 2004/5
    Great performer, In fact it was probably one of the best live shows ive seen
    Last album was fairly crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Man I was so disappointed when the Point gig was cancelled. It was meant to be September 9th 2001! I'm good with dates. I also remember being in the queue in HMV on Grafton street to return the ticket and hearing these two people murmuring about some plane crash in New York that had just been on the news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Patricide wrote: »
    As far as i can remember it was because people were protesting so heavily complaining that he was burning crosses on stage back then.

No, it was due to the DVD production company pulling out. I had a ticket (and this was back when I was a big fan) and was bummed that he cancelled the gig outright.

I haven't listened to his music in a long time, I lost interst with Holy Wood which had a couple of good songs but it was all just a re-hash of Antichrist Superstar (which was great). I used to think MA was the best but if I was to play any album now, it would be AS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

John wrote: »
    I haven't listened to his music in a long time, I lost interst with Holy Wood which had a couple of good songs but it was all just a re-hash of Antichrist Superstar (which was great).

Same as, hadn't really listened to any of his stuff after that. But yes, Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals were terrific albums.

Sad to say I've seen him live recently and he could barely sing at all, seemed totally strung out and half mumbled things, forgot lyrics... Just one of the worst, most embarrassing live performances I've ever bared witness to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

From Antichrist onwards are all brilliant, this was kinda stopped with Eat Me though, I didnt like it at all, just him being bitter with Dita etc.

Long Hard Road Out Of Hell was a good read too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Sad to say I've seen him live recently and he could barely sing at all, seemed totally strung out and half mumbled things, forgot lyrics... Just one of the worst, most embarrassing live performances I've ever bared witness to.

I'd have to agree with you, Ive watched a few vids of recent gigs and they were not the best at all.

I was at the RDS gig ( I don't like Maiden either, only went for manson ) and I have to say I was pretty dissappointed. I thought it was a pretty average performance I thought. I don't remember him speaking to the crowd once, which I was pretty bummed about. The most memorable part for me was when someone threw a shoe at him ( perhaps practice for bush ? ) .

I am not such a big fan of him anymore. I was kind of going off him before the RDS gig infact I mainly got the ticket for old times sake.

As for the albums. I'd have to agree, most of the early stuff is pretty dire. My favourite albums would have to be Antichrist Superstar , HolyWood and GoldenAge of Grotesque ( shock horror, gasp, I know ), with an honourable mention going to the Best of, with the Special Edition had a DVD of all of mansons videos which was worth the price on its own really ( I normally would not bother with music videos.)

I had no great love for Mechanical Animals, in particular I don't like the drugs.

Anyway, just to bring a smile to everyones face ( well those that don't mind the Golden Age of Grotesque ) Here is a pretty good acoustic version of said song. (probably better to listen to than watch )

EDIT: btw someone mentioned that Wes Borland is now with Manson ? I wonder he'll manage to sneak in a 7 string :P , that would be interesting. Good to see that Twiggy is back too, I've got huge respect for that guy.

Actually just looked at a few more vids, here are the only other vids I could see, both only have a piano accompaniment.

Alabama Song. This is ****ing hilarious and amazing at the same time !

The Dope show - this is pretty intence.

EDIT #3

Was looking around a bit more, and I found a recent perfermance of Coma White that is pretty damn good. There seems to be alot of emotion that he has put into this performance of it which I felt was lacking at the RDS.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=563927311979702503

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

Well i think he has a relatively unique style but its unfortunate she clearly has some issuese although i guess that does add to his/her style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well i think he has a relatively unique style but its unfortunate she clearly has some issuese although i guess that does add to his/her style.
    His.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

His.

Peter: Who does he or she think he or she is? We got to find this Marilyn Manson and I got to give that bastard or bitch a piece of my mind or penis. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

AHAHA........YES,........YEHAAHAS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've been a fan since 2000 when I first heard Sweet Dreams and followed it up with Antichrist Superstar. M.A. used to be my favourite album but now I reckon A.S. is his best, I just keep going back to it. But with all his albums, I love how he can change styles yet be unmistakably Marilyn Manson. Also have to say, I prefer his slower songs to the faster ones. Tourniquet, Minute of Decay, Man That You Fear, Spade etc are to me some of his most powerful songs.

P.s. Also bought a ticket to Maiden just to see Marilyn. Thought he was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

eljono wrote: »
    Also have to say, I prefer his slower songs to the faster ones. Tourniquet, Minute of Decay, Man That You Fear, Spade etc are to me some of his most powerful songs.

Agree 100%

Advertisement