Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marilyn Manson

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Used to be a much bigger fan and agree with most of the above but I have to comment on that gig, it was awful.

I had wanted to see them play for so many years, and then when I finally see them, it was one of the worst gigs ever.
    It was like he just didn't want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Used to be a much bigger fan and agree with most of the above but I have to comment on that gig, it was awful.

I had wanted to see them play for so many years, and then when I finally see them, it was one of the worst gigs ever.
    It was like he just didn't want to be there.

Completely agree man, I got the same feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Still listen to Antichrist Superstar regularly, brilliant album.
    Also Last Tour on Earth is one of the best live albums I've ever heard

Oh yeah! Definatly!

They're still great for slapping on every once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm heading to Graspop in June and he's gonna be playing there so I'll see em!

Nothing spectacular though he certainly won't attract me to attend a concert alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

TBH i don't think i've even met another fan in person, not since I was a teen anyway.

But there's generally a stigma attached to being a fan, in that you must be a devil worshipping freak.... of course!! :rolleyes:

Favourite song at the minute is ''I don't like the drugs (but the drugs like me)'' :)

+1

First started listening to Manson when I was 13 (parents went mental but gradually got used to it :)). I genuinely encountered some pretty negative attitudes towards me when I said who I listened to... definitely a stigma attached to it.Still, 6 years later and still a fan :cool:

Fav albums have to be the main Triptych (AC, Holywood, Mechanical Animals) but I liked GAOG too; I think the whole 30's burlesque thing was uber-cool ;)

Eat me, Drink me was a poor emo-shadow of Manson though! ugh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

God yea, i thought that was a TERRIBLE album aswell. Very on the emo side imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

is it true that manson was walking through temple bar and some tracky skangs started slagging him saying..."ya fookin' queer ye...you one o' dem gothics!?...them marilyn mansons?!......i

LOL. That's fookin' hilarious, only in Dublin! :pac:

If you're a Manson fan, you generally have a hard time. The metalheads think you're just a 'poser/pussy/baby-goth' and the skangers think you're 'a devil worshipper'. I like his early stuff, but wouldn't be too keen on his later albums. He's a bit of a legend though, whether you love him or hate him!

I do remember being scared ****less by him when I was about six though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Portrait of an American Family and stuff like that ?

Thats interesting, I think you are the first person to say they like that in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

John wrote: »
    No, it was due to the DVD production company pulling out. I had a ticket (and this was back when I was a big fan) and was bummed that he cancelled the gig outright.
    Did the DVD production compant not pull out BECAUSE of the protests?

That's how I remember it anyway.

Raging when that happened, i would of loved to have seen MM at their peak,

• Advertisement

I dunno, I went through an American Family phase for a while, wanted to see what his earliest stuff was like. Has a kind of kooky / spooky / less serious feel to it. More a bit of fun than anything IMO. Some savage tracks tho - Snake Eyes, Wrapped in Plastic spring to mind.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Did the DVD production compant not pull out BECAUSE of the protests?

That's how I remember it anyway.

Raging when that happened, i would of loved to have seen MM at their peak,

I don't remember there actually being many (or any significant) protests. I'm pretty sure that the DVD company should have known what they were getting in to (look to America where people used to picket the gigs) so I can't really see them going "Oh noes! Protests!"

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Honestly i think his best work came from the "John-5" era, he has produced nothing worth listening to since, John-5 is ultimately one of the most underrated guitar players in this day and age, Les Paul himself told him he should start writing solo albums he's that good,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

John wrote: »
    I don't remember there actually being many (or any significant) protests. I'm pretty sure that the DVD company should have known what they were getting in to (look to America where people used to picket the gigs) so I can't really see them going "Oh noes! Protests!"
    I think the protests grew significantly once the tabloids got involved.

I'm 99% sure that the DVD production company released a statement saying that they pulled out due to pressure from protest groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

hyn-zie wrote: »
    Honestly i think his best work came from the "John-5" era, he has produced nothing worth listening to since, John-5 is ultimately one of the most underrated guitar players in this day and age, Les Paul himself told him he should start writing solo albums he's that good,
    He has done, he has several solo albums and there all pretty good. He also worked as a session player playing from everyone from rob zombie to meatloaf album. Very talented versitile player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Was never much of a Manson fan.

But "Rock is Dead" was one of the best metal tracks of the 1990s imho

Het-Field wrote: »
    Was never much of a Manson fan.

But "Rock is Dead" was one of the best metal tracks of the 1990s imho

Meh, not his best work IMO... Fight Song FTW :D

Edit: f**k that, everything after American Family and prior to EMDM is the height awesomeness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

antichrist superstar and mechanical animals are 2 savage albums. love them.
    and last tour on earth was an amazing live album. was stuck in my cd player for a few years. everything else before and after that is really inconsistent

never really got any stick for being a manson fan because i never really flaunted it. was never into the whole dressing in black all the time.

was very disappointed with his gig in the RDS. He just went through the motions, 0 crowd interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Meh, not his best work IMO... Fight Song FTW :D

Edit: f**k that, everything after American Family and prior to EMDM is the height awesomeness!

rock is dead & fight song, were just rehashes of the beautiful people riff/beat.
    ACS was a great album, but i wonder how much of that was down to Trent Reznors production, and Daisy Berkowitz's guitar playing which had a really unique sound IMO. Wouldn't really listen to MM nowadays tho, bit too morbid for me now that im all grown up :pac:
    Tho Dope Hat, Cake and Sodomy, were great songs, i quite liked portrait.

0ubliette wrote: »
    rock is dead & fight song, were just rehashes of the beautiful people riff/beat.

In fairness though, still awesome songs in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Whats peoples opinions on his new album - I think its a real return to form ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

ACS was a great album, but i wonder how much of that was down to Trent Reznors production, and Daisy Berkowitz's guitar playing which had a really unique sound IMO. Wouldn't really listen to MM nowadays tho, bit too morbid for me now that im all grown up :pac:

Don't hear that much similarity between Fight Song and Beautiful People in riff or beat. Not much more than overall familiarity of sound anyway. If anything I hear more in Disposable Teens.

I got Holy Wood for Christmas 2000 and I liked it. I also got Slipknot's self-titled album, which I didn't like, and still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

s8n wrote: »

Ya the new album is great, the last MM album I bought was mechanical animals and the new one is as good imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The new album is devastatingly good.

s8n wrote: »

It's outstanding.
    He has clearly found a new lease of life collaborating with Tyler bates.
    Parting ways with Ramirez was disappointing after all the hype surrounding his return but we can't ignore the facts; for all the good songs on HEOL, it was largely filler, and BV basically passed unnoticed.

TPE is getting alot of positive attention for what seems to be Mansons abandoning of the more gnarly/metal approach that used to accompany his cultural criticisms.

As far as I understand they only kept one song featuring Berkowitz on ACS...
    I used to like Manson as a preteen but his overall treatment of bandmembers put me off soon enough. I still remember the Twiggy/John5 blowouts. Two of his 'best friends' and best musicians kicked out over nothing :mad: Pogo and Ginger Fish met similar ends I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Who's more Metal - MM or his Dad? :pac:

marilyn-manson-father-paper-magazine-2015-billboard-650.jpg

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement