Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking a joint lease agreement

Options
  • 06-02-2009 8:06pm

This is primarily an accommodation/property issue (though if I went into the ins and outs of it it would sound more like a PI!).

Essentially I signed a joint lease with a friend of mine 4 months ago for a 9 month period (so 5 months left to run). We've had various problems in general, most recently her leaving the patio doors wide open all night when I was in the house alone (she got drunk and went out after I'd gone to bed). We're overlooked by a large apartment complex and because she insists she only left it unlocked, not open, it's possible that someone got in the house. She is unwilling to discuss the matter and because she has left it unlocked many times before (which we have discussed) I feel like I have no option but to move out, as I can't be assured it won't happen again and next time I might not be so lucky.

In the case of a joint lease where we're both named, is it sufficient to find a suitable replacement (subject to landlord consent obviously!) to be released from my side of the contract? It's a 'dispute' between me and the girl I live with so I don't think the landlord will be interested in the whys and whens. I really just need to get out ASAP. Any advice appreciated!

Advertisement