Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

So I've biked this road a few times now.
    Trying to be a good citizen, i initially biked on the bike/pedestrian track.
    The problem is that it's really not suitable for bikes at all.
    It's too narrow, so that meeting a pedestrian creates a "choke point".
    Secondly, the track is covered in tiny pebbles blowing over from the road surface... it makes biking on it uncomfortable.

The surface on the road is actually pretty good though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

dmeehan wrote: »
    I've added the final section yesterday on OSM and as someone else pointed out it is now on Google Maps too. I also updated the old sections of the former N21 and N23 to R roads. Does anyone know what the official designation of the old N23 bit is?

It's not an R road, it's now the L2040. Says it on the N23 roundabout sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Adro947 wrote: »
    It's not an R road, it's now the L2040. Says it on the N23 roundabout sign.
    That is a big downgrade, from N to L :eek:. This show how bad the N road was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Caher wrote: »
    Heard on Radio Kerry today, cyclist knocked down on Castleisland Bypass and taken to hospital by ambulance :(. Knew this would happen eventually, lets hope its the last time.

You're wrong about that on your details. Check your facts.

Heard on Radio Kerry today, cyclist knocked down on Castleisland Bypass and taken to hospital by ambulance :(. Knew this would happen eventually, lets hope its the last time.

They said the Tralee to Castleisland road. It's WS2, not a type 2 dual carriageway like the Castleisland bypass. They could have been crossing the road etc. I assume if they were cycling along the road they were in the hard shoulder. So it could be a car in the hard shoulder, when they were crossing the road, they insensibly cycled in the middle of the road etc. There are laods of possibilities. It's probably the section from the N21-N22 roundabout to Castleisland because the section from Tralee to the roundabout is often referred to as the Killarney road.

• Advertisement

I was 20ft behind the rider that ended up having to take the ambo back to Tralee when he had his accident - I was brough down by his bike when it tumbled out in front of me on the road.

It was approx 500m from the Earl of Desmond roundabout on the Castleisland road. After transport to TGH and assessment I can tell you the accident involved rider is fine short of bumps bruises and scrapes.

There was no insensible moving into the middle of the road - although 'taking the lane' when aproaching a roundabout or junction is inherently safer and sensible than doing otherwise - only a minor/stupid accident the outcome of which was thankfully much better than it initially appeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Caher

Apologies for the inaccuracies yesterday. It was second hand info.

Apologies for the inaccuracies yesterday. It was second hand info.

No bother lad - was just concerned that things might be misreported.

The day *really* hadn't gone according to plan - the shock of the crash, the damage to man and machine, the plans for the rest of the day done in by an a&e visit; you wouldn't wish it on anyone in a hurry.

Feel like I did ten rounds with Tyson today... and I came out of it comparatively well! The skill of falling safely learned during misspent teenage years MTBing came in handy - though doing it at 35kph onto tarmac is way more severe than the same thing on dirt...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

CheGuedara wrote: »
    You're wrong about that on your details. Check your facts.

FACT:
    The cyclist (who usually rides with his head down for too long imho) rode into a parked car on the yellow line/hard shoulder (lady driver on the phone) ffs.

amadain wrote: »
    FACT:
    The cyclist (who usually rides with his head down for too long imho) rode into a parked car on the yellow line/hard shoulder (lady driver on the phone) ffs.

Correct! Have a cookie and give yourself a gold star.

And the rider in question isn't being left forget his rather expensive lapse of attention (now referred to as 'the curious incident of the Yaris in the daytime') in a hurry either!

How he failed to see it I'll never know...
    (ffs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

I just want to say this. Recently l had to go to Listowel from Ballincollig and took the Killarney to Tralee road and got caught in the traffic jam in Tralee town which took about 30 mins to get through. It was a nightmare. Coming home I decided to go the CastleIsland way. (I never realised there was a new bypass.) It was brilliant, no traffic jam, etc. But why isn't there a bypass for Tralee as it can be a nightmare to get through

katy67 wrote: »
    I just want to say this. Recently l had to go to Listowel from Ballincollig and took the Killarney to Tralee road and got caught in the traffic jam in Tralee town which took about 30 mins to get through. It was a nightmare. Coming home I decided to go the CastleIsland way. (I never realised there was a new bypass.) It was brilliant, no traffic jam, etc. But why isn't there a bypass for Tralee as it can be a nightmare to get through

Castleisland used to lie on the main road from pretty much anywhere in Ireland bar Cork and the South-East into Kerry. As a result, this meant alot of traffic passed through the town.

Tralee doesn't need a bypass as much. However, there's one being built anyway...should go to construction soon enough.

Advertisement