Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

dh0661 wrote: »
    Is that the Tralee / Killarney junction coming into Castleisland ?
    Why the FU see K should people coming from Tralee have to yield to people from Killarney on their way into the town.
    Its just a disaster of a set up,three roads meeting at one point.

Dont worry though this webpage has all the answers..:D
    http://gisagents.blogspot.com/2008/04/shockwave-traffic-jam-recreated-for.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Roundabouts are the best way to keep traffic moving.
    well a completely free flow grade-seperated junction is the best way to keep traffic flowing, but i dont think i will be seeing the castleisland spaghetti junction in my lifetime :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

No,its the traffic lights at the top of town and the badly designed junction below JKs that is the problem.Traffic is stopped completly for muinites at a time and that builds up in buys times of the day.Roundabouts are the best way to keep traffic moving.

Not forgetting to mention the pedestrians slowly walking across the road, cars reversing out of the parking spaces, boy racers driving up and down town all day impressing the ladies. If we take all this out wont be much traffic at all :pac:

Following the tender pre-qualification process, which commenced on May 9 2008, five tenders were shortlisted and the contract was awarded to BAM Civil Engineering - formerly known as Ascon - who submitted the lowest tender which was below what was budgeted for.

A number of technical issues are being finalised prior to the contract being rubber-stamped and signed but Kerry County Council expects the contractor to be on site by the middle of 2009.

The contractors will design the road following on from the preliminary design prepared by the Kerry National Road Design office which is based in Castleisland and will manage the project.

Around 100 jobs are expected to be created during the project which is expected to last around 15 months.

The scheme comprises of 5.4km of dual and single carriageway, bypassing Castleisland to the west of the town and linking the N23 Killarney Road at Clashganniv to the N21 Limerick Road at Dooneen, via the N21 Tralee Road at Knockannagore.

Wont be long til we see some diggers around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm amazed that this is going ahead with the current state of the economy, but it's brilliant news to be fair...

Anyone know when work is expected to start?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this is going ahead with the current state of the economy, but it's brilliant news to be fair...

Its brilliant news but it should have been completed a long time ago with so many broken promises by the government.
    Anyone know when work is expected to start?
    There is no concrete date but July or August is more than likely the expected time for construction start. Should be completed before the end of next year.

I read in the kerryman that this will be a toll road,wonder is there any truth in this..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I read in the kerryman that this will be a toll road,wonder is there any truth in this..

a toll road in kerry :eek: gosh I hope not!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    a toll road in kerry :eek: gosh I hope not!

april fools :D

The project is funded by tax payers money and the article is a p**s take. Good reading though. Funny enough the name of the company means a grain of salt in English :pac:

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/toll-bridge-looks-set-to-mar-castleisland-bypass-joy-1693562.html

690817d3-d460-4db6-_303746c.jpg

A 'still' taken from a toll bridge camera outside Prague and similar to the one to be installed on Castleisland's new bypass. The transmitted quality is much higher than the example printed here. Credit: Photograph courtesy of Cum Grano Salis

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Erratic Driving Sensors will also alert and direct Gardai, by text and visual output, to the stretch of roadway on which the offending cyclist/motorist is being tracked.

Erratic driving sensors :D:D i love it

Lol..i was wondering alright..seemed a bit high tech for the 'island!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

tech2 wrote: »
    . From now on there will be no wide single carriageway like the schemes completed near headleys bridge near knockagoshel.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else think that the first junction for Koncknagoshel after Abbeyfeale is particularly dangerous?

legspin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity does anyone else think that the first junction for Koncknagoshel after Abbeyfeale is particularly dangerous?

It is and it isint for me.

If your coming from abbeyfeale and turning off for feales bridge I think its fine but there is no two lane format coming from the knockagoshel side which should be done in other words narrow the current hard shoulder and provide a right lane for turning right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

legspin wrote: »

Don't know the Koncknagoshel :rolleyes: turnoff but the one for Knocknagashel is dangerous if you are clipping it. Remember, if driving through village to turn volumn down and ignore SatNav :cool:

Just looking at the N23/N21 horendous interchange today.

I have drawn up a better way of traffic flow proritising the N21 to tralee from Limerick using a basic overbridge junction on a 2+2. Im no road designer but its a lot better in my opinion. What do ye think of it all?

Here is my better version of the N21/N23 interchange. It elimanates the need of yielding main N21 traffic.

N21-N23interchange-1.jpg

here is the one going to be constructed in the summer with 3 very busy exits.

tobeconstrucedn21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Here is my better version of the N21/N23 interchange. It elimanates the need of yielding main N21 traffic.

In lay mans terms - where is N21 & N23 - Farranfore ?

tech2 looking at those drawings I am actually beginning to feel sorry for tourists that make it into Kerry :)

In lay mans terms - where is N21 & N23 - Farranfore ?

N21 is Tralee - Limerick
    N23 is a spur off this road to Kilarney/Farranfore
    tech2 looking at those drawings I am actually beginning to feel sorry for tourists that make it into Kerry :)

Yep I know my drawings wouldnt be up to scratch!! But in fairness I do think its a lot better layout even for the tourists!!! Mind you the signage might need to be top notch :)

Anyway its going ahead this way and hopefully some progress will be made soon. We can keep up to date with some pics of construction of the bypass when it starts.

Yep I know my drawings wouldnt be up to scratch!! But in fairness I do think its a lot better layout even for the tourists!!! Mind you the signage might need to be top notch :)

cheers tech2 for the drawings. topnotch roadsigns in Kerry :D now that's a good one

• Advertisement

cheers tech2 for the drawings. topnotch roadsigns in Kerry :D now that's a good one

No problem maybe I should stick to what Im good at ie. electronics!!! :D

No but jokes aside the local road design authorities in this country have no imagination whatsoever in designing a good junction for two main national routes other than a roundabout. Still though its under a cheap price and thats what convinced the government to go ahead with the scheme so I cant have no complaints.

Before construction starts we should see the contractors putting up fencing for the route of the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

It elimanates the need of yielding main N21 traffic.

Hey I'm in total agreement with you here. I have never understood why Tralee traffic should have to yield at a junction coming into Castleisland.

I guess the roundabout is cheaper to build,and cheaper seems to be the watchword these days..

yeah their seems to be a lickle birdy taking up residence in the Kerry County Council going *cheap cheap* ... nearly all of the roads in the county could do with a re-surfacing! I hope the tar they used on the finished product will last near to 10years+ as it will be that long again before it would see a new surface.

I have never understood why Tralee traffic should have to yield at a junction coming into Castleisland.
    coz they are coming from Tralee - Killarney rules!

:p:D;)

dmeehan wrote: »
    coz they are coming from Tralee - Killarney rules!

:p:D;)

You just posted what I was just thinking :eek: :D

ah no though it will be sorted once the by-pass will be built

Here is the link to the scheme on teh NRA website: http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N21CastleislandBypass/SchemeName,15467,en.html

very informative :rolleyes:

Here is the link to the scheme on teh NRA website: http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N21CastleislandBypass/SchemeName,15467,en.html

very informative :rolleyes:

Apart from mentioning the 2+2 road and the roundabout junctions!! Some info on that site is well out of date. It also has many schemes at tender when there actually in construction.

preliminary work has started http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/work-begins-on-castleisland-bypass/

just in time for the election. maybe thats why there has been no FF cnvasers around, they were waiting to announce this!! (i am such a cynic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

preliminary work has started http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/work-begins-on-castleisland-bypass/

just in time for the election. maybe thats why there has been no FF cnvasers around, they were waiting to announce this!! (i am such a cynic)

The local FF dignatories will be out there with their titanium coated, ivory handled, diamond-encrusted ceremonial shovels, but won't remember how they came by them.

Advertisement