Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

dmeehan wrote: »
    preliminary work has started http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/work-begins-on-castleisland-bypass/

just in time for the election. maybe thats why there has been no FF cnvasers around, they were waiting to announce this!! (i am such a cynic)

Excellent its a lot sooner than I expected!!

Anything could be around the bog lands of Castleisland!!! :D

http://www.unido.org/index.php?id=5545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

tech2 wrote: »
    Excellent its a lot sooner than I expected!!

Anything could be around the bog lands of Castleisland!!! :D

http://www.unido.org/index.php?id=5545
    Including bodies of people that make facetious remarks about the local topography. You may become famous in 3079AD - when North Kerry is basking in 35*C and has had a mediterranean style climate since the great comet wiped out all life north of Abbeyfeale and east of Mountcollins :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I hear there is a start made on the road?

I hear there is a start made on the road?

yep preliminary work has started. Checking contamination in the soil etc.
    I would expect the diggers on site in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

The diggers are in now,Has it really started or is it just another political illusion

• Advertisement

The diggers are in now,Has it really started or is it just another political illusion

Its going ahead no doubt about it. Once it was issued theres no going back. Gussie, is there fencing done as construction cant start until that is done? I'll be passing down there in a few days to see whats going on.

Fencing is done.It seems they are starting on the killarney road end

Fencing is done.It seems they are starting on the killarney road end
    Woot!!

Drove in from faranfore today but didnt get that far,there was a container or two around the site the last time i passsed through.

The site office is being setup on the Kilarney road. Access road was created for it. I presume it will take a few weeks to have the soil checked in case base supports are needed on the route before any construction can start.

The Kilarney side will only be single carriageway bit of a disapointment should really be 2+2 as well.

Any update on how work is going? I havnt had a chance to head down to my homeland in the kingdom lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Will tell you Tuesday. Am legging it to my spiritual home around 3ish :D

Compound is nearly finished on the killarney road end just beside matt wrens house,BAM seems to be the main contractors as it is full of their containers and offices.My next door neighbour is actually working on the site so will try and get some inside info

Some further information I found about the bypass:
    The works include the construction of 3 roundabouts, 11 major structures
    (1 River bridge, 3 road bridges, 3 culverts, and 4 underpasses).

Firstly where is the 3rd roundabout going to go?

Its good to see there is 7 stuctures which will give better access to the main road on both carriageways.

I have also requested a few maps from the design office in Castleisland to see where there structures are being built.

tech2 wrote: »
    where is the 3rd roundabout going to go?
    Id guess there would be one each on the Limerick road,Tralee road and Faranfore road?

Id guess there would be one each on the Limerick road,Tralee road and Faranfore road?

If there is going to be one on the Limerick road there is no point in this bypass going ahead at all. There should be a structure at this point linking the current N21 outside Castleisland(downgraded to a regional road) to the new road via a overbridge or underpass.

As that area of land decends a underbridge would be easy to implement. I have emailed the road design office to get an answer on this. Also I have asked where will the overbridges be constructed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

They should be building a compact interchange at the limerick side Imo...

The N21/N23 both use the road. The trallee and Farenfore junctions are fine as ROs.

3 roundabouts on a national primary road linking 2 major routes... Its seems like another enfield type bypass. This is not acceptable imo. For been 2+2 i think its such a wasteful opportunity here putting roundabouts everywhere.

I just cant stand roads been riddled with Roudabouts. As Techy said they may aswell be no bypass. N23 traffic would make it through town quicker.

Carchaeologist you are correct. I have futher information that I got courtesy of a Senior Executive engineer from the Kerry national road design office about the bypass below. This is really a disgrace. Cheap and bad road planning.

One plus is there is an overbridge going to be constructed on the L-2017 which will be good for construction pics.
    The roundabout at Dooneen will be the changeover point from the Type 2 Dual Carriageway section to the S2 with Climbing lane which currently exists at Dooneen

The Overbridge is on the L-2017 (Pound Road from town)

:mad:

Oh,cheap and cheerful,shur them kerry boys dont know about underpasses....:rolleyes:

I agree about the round about on the limerick side,no need.

Any idea on a completion time on the road techy?

Oh,cheap and cheerful,shur them kerry boys dont know about underpasses....:rolleyes:

I agree about the round about on the limerick side,no need.

Any idea on a completion time on the road techy?

I think the NRA is expecting Q4 next year.

It could easily be finished before that. I would be happy to see it finished august next year.

I will head down to see how construction is going in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Can someone show me how to get a detailed map of Castleisland online to save to my computer. I will draw a solution for this junction. where the Limierck ends joins the bypass

Other National primary routes with interchanges on them.
    N17 Claremorris
    N4 Rooskey
    N8 Cahir
    N7 Nenagh
    N21 Rathkeale.

Seriously its outragous not to build a complex overbridge here to facilitate movements. Three roundabouts on a 5km bypass linking the entire Kerry region to the rest of the country with littered roundabouts is a joke.

untitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

mysterious wrote: »
    Seriously its outragous not to build a complex overbridge here to facilitate movements. Three roundabouts on a 5km bypass linking the entire Kerry region to the rest of the country with littered roundabouts is a joke.

this is just going to push the congestion in the town centre out to the roundabouts on the bypass. it doesnt address the traffic issue at all, it just moves it somewhere else

mysterious wrote: »
    Can someone show me how to get a detailed map of Castleisland online to save to my computer. I will draw a solution for this junction. where the Limierck ends joins the bypass

I dont have any detailed maps of the bypass Mysterious but the kcc website is going to be updated in the next few weeks I have been told.

3 roundabouts which is the same amount as the Donegal bypass. I have driven on that bypass several times and at peak times it functions ok. Also taking into account it is not a 2+2 but single carriageway with a 2+1 sortie on the N56 side. AADT is pratically the same on both the N21 and N15 too.

I think that the bypass will work but flawed with roundabouts.

The Castleisland bypass section on the Kerry County Council website has been updated:

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n21castleislandbypass/

It gives a good map on the bypass and also earlier parts of original route selection.

Also on the advert pdf file it shows:
    Kerry County Council has made a decision to close public traffic on the L-2017 from Ballynaboul Cross -Doolaig North Cross from 25th June- 21st December 2009 to facilate construction of an overbridge for the Castleisland Bypass

Maybe we could be seeing the overbridge opening to traffic by the end of the year.

They are doing site clearance and fencing on either side of the castleisland/ tralee road this week.I really must stop and take some pics and take more as work progresses.

They are doing site clearance and fencing on either side of the castleisland/ tralee road this week.I really must stop and take some pics and take more as work progresses.

I've been told that the Tralee rd roundabout and the structures are going to start shortly aswell.

I didnt realise the view of Castleisland from the top of the pound road was so spectacular when I drove up the last day. :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

While it's great to see Castleisland finally get a much needed bypass (even though it's happening about 20 years overdue) why oh why has Kerry been relatively neglacted in terms of road improvements over the years? Compared to practically every other county, Kerry has seen very few major road improvements, bypasses and...

...does not have one single stretch of dual carriageway.:( That to me is not just a disgrace but an embarrassment.:eek: What makes it even more embarrassing is that the N21 between C'Island and Tralee was originally supposed to be a dualler, but then some row over a wood meant it got downgraded to a single carriageway.

There must be some section of primary roads in Kerry warranting a section of dual carriageway due to traffic volumes. What about the road between Tralee and Killarney? For a county of Kerry's size and importance not to have any is bad.:confused:

JupiterKid wrote: »
    While it's great to see Castleisland finally get a much needed bypass (even though it's happening about 20 years overdue) why oh why has Kerry been relatively neglacted in terms of road improvements over the years? Compared to practically every other county, Kerry has seen very few major road improvements, bypasses and...

I think there has been a huge improvement in primary roads in the county over the last number of years. I still remember the days driving to Tralee on those horrendous stretches especially headleys bridge. This new stretch really makes a huge difference:

800px-N21CastleislandtoAbbeyfeale.JPG
    ...does not have one single stretch of dual carriageway.:( That to me is not just a disgrace but an embarrassment.:eek: What makes it even more embarrassing is that the N21 between C'Island and Tralee was originally supposed to be a dualler, but then some row over a wood meant it got downgraded to a single carriageway.

Its all down to AADT(Average annual daily traffic). Counters are hard to find but I expect the N21 in the region of 8-9k. This does not warrant a full blown dual carriageway. Its fine for WS2 which is scrapped now in place will be type 2 dual carriageway.
    There must be some section of primary roads in Kerry warranting a section of dual carriageway due to traffic volumes. What about the road between Tralee and Killarney? For a county of Kerry's size and importance not to have any is bad.:confused:

HQDC no. But a lower spec dual carriageway ie. 2+2 or type 2 dual carriageway then yes. The N21 side of the castleisland bypass is being constructed type 2 dual carriageway so there will be some in Kerry come next year. See this link and you will see its a lower spec than the standard dc:

Type 2 dual carriageway N4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

does anyone have the figures for the traffic count between killarney and tralee (n22)?
    I drive this everyday and at rush hour it can get quite busy. also, all it takes is one tourist to slow down to take in the scenery/mountains and the whole road comes to a 60km/h "standstill" - there are very few overtaking opportunities

Advertisement