Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

January/February Newsletter available on KCC website
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/n21castleislandbypass/thefile,3567,en.pdf

actually, it's already a bit out of date.
    the road closures mentioned have already occurred.

From http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,3670,en.html
    Temporary Closing of Roads - Doolaig South Cross

Released: 15 April 2010
    KERRY COUNTY COUNCIL
    TEMPORARY CLOSING OF ROADS
    SECTION 75 OF ROADS ACT 1993
    Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to Section 75 of the Roads Act, 1993, and the Temporary Closing of Roads Regulations, 1994, Kerry County Council proposes to close to public traffic the Local Road L-6541 (in the townlands of Doolaig South, Portduff, Mullaghmarky and Ballynaboul, Castleisland) from Doolaig South Cross (at the intersection with the Local Road L-10681 to Doolaig North Lower Cross) to Ballynaboul Cross (at the junction with the Local Road L-2017)
    for a period of five (5) consecutive days from Monday 10th May 2010 to Friday 14th May 2010, both dates inclusive.
    The purpose of the road closure is to avoid major interface between construction plant and road users (General Public) and facilitate finishing works to the structure and road surfacing works as part of the N21 Castleisland Bypass Road Improvement Scheme.
    Alternative routes will be clearly signposted and limited access will be provided to local residents.
    Any person having any objection to this proposal should lodge same with the Administrative Officer, Roads & Transportation Department, Room 115, Áras an Chontae, Tralee, County Kerry not later than 4.00 p.m. on Tuesday, 20th April 2010.

Sínithe/Signed: Ger O’Brien
    S.E.O. Corporate Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

More news on the bypass looks like late 2010 opening.
    Council: Bypass will divert 70% of vehicles away from town
    By Donal Hickey

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

A LONG-AWAITED bypass road for Castleisland, due to be open to traffic by the end of this year, will divert about 9,000 vehicles away from Co Kerry town, each day.

The €34 million bypass will result in about 70% of the traffic that currently goes though Castleisland being taken away from the town, according to Kerry County Council.

Construction work on the 5.5km bypass, which started last May, is progressing on schedule, project manager Donal O’Shea yesterday told an on-site media briefing.

"The structural work, earth works and drainage have all been completed and the exceptionally wet weather during the winter was probably the biggest obstacle we encountered," he said.

There are 11 structures along the route, which runs through farmland on the western and northern sides of Castleisland, including bridges, culverts and underpasses.

There are three roundabouts on the road, which will have both a dual and single carriageway.

Four badger passes and two otter ledges have also been included.

The bypass will intersect existing roads linking Castleisland to Killarney, Tralee and Limerick.

Castleisland, the main route into Kerry from Dublin and Limerick, has been a notorious traffic bottleneck for decades, with long tailbacks regularly experienced, and the bypass has been a hot political issue for several years.

Paul Curry, of the National Road Authority’s Kerry design office, said 9,000 of the estimated 13,000 vehicles that currently pass through Castleisland each day will use the bypass.

"It’s obvious the town itself is going to get considerably quieter," he added.

"But, it should also be pointed out that traffic from outlying areas which has tended to stay away from Castleisland because of the congestion will start coming in again and that should be of benefit to the town."

The council acquired land from 32 landowners along the route, but no dwellings/houses had to be demolished.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

i wonder will it be easier to park in the town during the day when this bypass is finished...I thought i was going to go out of my mind this morning trying to get a spot..:mad:

Is there much going on with the bypass lately. BAM seem to be going at a snails pace given it's only 5km of road.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Is there much going on with the bypass lately. BAM seem to be going at a snails pace given it's only 5km of road.
    Looks like full steam ahead to me,they have lots done in the last few months,if you stand on the new bridge up the Maum you can see the road is being laid out on both sides all the way in both directions,and they are starting to break into the limerick road now too.
    Plus they finally put a finished surface on the Tralee road roundabout,so no more nasty humps entering and exiting!:)

Looks like full steam ahead to me,they have lots done in the last few months,if you stand on the new bridge up the Maum you can see the road is being laid out on both sides all the way in both directions,and they are starting to break into the limerick road now too.
    Plus they finally put a finished surface on the Tralee road roundabout,so no more nasty humps entering and exiting!:)

I'll try do a photo update as soon as possible... but not much free time at the moment i'm afraid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bersouth

After all the doom and gloom and will it wont it go ahead the Castleisland bypass is 6 months ahead of target and will open before year end. No doubt Jackie Healy Rae will be first to drive over new bypass......:D

Official opening schedule according to NRA is Q1, 2011.
    6 months ahead would suggest early October 2010 ?

Is that the date range you expect?
    Bersouth wrote: »
    After all the doom and gloom and will it wont it go ahead the Castleisland bypass is 6 months ahead of target and will open before year end. No doubt Jackie Healy Rae will be first to drive over new bypass......:D

According to BAM they are 6 months ahead so end of 2010 looks likley, be good for people traveling, hope Castleisland are ready for post bypass....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

...and claim even more travelling expenses.:P

Ah no Jackie will get one of the jarvey's from Killarney with their new napipes to jog along the bypas as the lead car........:pac:

Ah no Jackie will get one of the jarvey's from Killarney with their new napipes to jog along the bypas as the lead car........:pac:

It'll be a sight to see, with all those people following a sh1t-bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It'll be a sight to see, with all those people following a sh1t-bag.

:D LOL ;)

IMO the jarveys should use all of the Healy Rea's caps as nappies. And return to the previous owners to wear again --- this might help to regrow their hair. :rolleyes:

This is him in 58!
    jackiehealyrae1958.jpg

Cometh the hour cometh the man...........:D

Cometh the hour cometh the man...........:D

You must be a very close relative:P

No but a long suffering voter from North Kerry wishing we had a Healy Rae here.... and in that 1958 hurling championship JHR scored the winning goal hence cometh the man..

No but a long suffering voter from North Kerry wishing we had a Healy Rae here.... and in that 1958 hurling championship JHR scored the winning goal hence cometh the man..

Unfortunately, North of Tralee, we may as well have no-one at all, because the resident TDs are completely and absolutely feckin useless.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Unfortunately, North of Tralee, we may as well have no-one at all, because the resident TDs are completely and absolutely feckin useless.
    I am less than a 1/4 of a mile from boundary of south kerry but the difference in infrastructure is amazing, all road are repaired, grants are made available to all types of groups. There is just so much that the fierce competition betwenn the O'Donoghues's and the Healy Rae's that the people of SK are the winners.:mad:

• Advertisement

I am less than a 1/4 of a mile from boundary of south kerry but the difference in infrastructure is amazing, all road are repaired, grants are made available to all types of groups. There is just so much that the fierce competition betwenn the O'Donoghues's and the Healy Rae's that the people of SK are the winners.:mad:

The TDs up here want rockets up their arses, because they seem to be dead from the neck up.

Some photos from 30 - may 2010:

n21_20100530_a:
    - looking south at mainline from junction with n21 on limerick side of castleisland (daly's cold storage facillity) - note overbridge on "pound road" in background
    n21_20100530_b:
    - same as (a) above
    n21_20100530_c:
    - looking north from overbridge on pound road
    n21_20100530_d:
    - same as (c) above
    n21_20100530_e:
    - looking south from overbridge on pound road

n21_20100530_f:
    - same as (e) above ... magnified
    n21_20100530_g:
    - looking north from roundabout on n21 tralee road

in general there has been good progress, but mostly on the northern section, i.e. between the tralee and limerick N21 roads.
    there is much less progress on the tralee-farranfore southern section.

an article in the kerryman this week (article not available online) quotes the project manager as indicating that whilst good progress has been made that he could confirm that the road shall not be available for the Irish Open Gold thingy on July 28th.

Thus, we can take it that an Aug/Sep opening is more likely.

One point i would like to make is that we now have a continuous "black" line on the mainline. is this cbm?

Fab pictures, great to see so much progress along with new Gardab arracks Castleisland is reaping the rewards for joining up with South Kerry... long live JOD and JHR

Great pictures, I'm wondering will the wire median be used for this scheme or will the NRA see sense and installed the concrete barrier which is used in new motorways built in this country?

i've emailed info@kerry.nrdo.ie with a query on the median.
    i thought i read somewhere that it would be concrete, but i can't seem to find where that was, so we'll wait and see what the nrdo come back with.
    ;)
    tech2 wrote: »
    Great pictures, I'm wondering will the wire median be used for this scheme or will the NRA see sense and installed the concrete barrier which is used in new motorways built in this country?

response from nrdo:

1.5m paved, with wire rope safety fencing
    fresca wrote: »
    i've emailed info@kerry.nrdo.ie with a query on the median.
    i thought i read somewhere that it would be concrete, but i can't seem to find where that was, so we'll wait and see what the nrdo come back with.
    ;)

I wish the NRA would get rid of that wire rope, it's dangerous for any motorcyclist driving on the 2+1 scrapped schemes and the new 2+2 ones. The concrete barrier would be a much safer option and generally I hate the look of the wire rope.

CASTLEISLAND: Bypass won't open for the Open

257e5226-a7d3-4ace-_587370t.jpg

THE remarkable rate of progress of work on the Castleisland Bypass has, indeed, been much remarked on in recent weeks. So much so, in fact, that it has led to speculation that the Limerick Road to Tralee Road stretch would be 'Open for the Open' on a temporary basis only for the big golf tournament due to be played in Killarney from July 29 to August 1.

link

• Advertisement

There is great topsoil for sale in Castleisland 0872461678

Advertisement