Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bersouth

dh0661 wrote: »
    And the locals have nick named it "the triple bypass" in honor of the 3 healy reas :rolleyes: WTF
    I suppose we will have a poster saying Healy Rae for bypass and Dereck for Bainisteoir........:D:D:D

dh0661 wrote: »
    And the locals have nick named it "the triple bypass" in honor of the 3 healy reas :rolleyes: WTF
    Next we will have a poster saying Healy Rae's for bypass and Dereck for Bainisteoir...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

I wonder about the possibility of upgrading castleisland to abbeyfeale to 2+2?
    From the current roundabout on the limerick side of the castleisland to bypass to the point of the abbeyfeale bypass (whereever that is?).
    Lots of margin there to work with and also we have some climbing lanes.

fresca wrote: »
    I wonder about the possibility of upgrading castleisland to abbeyfeale to 2+2?
    From the current roundabout on the limerick side of the castleisland to bypass to the point of the abbeyfeale bypass (whereever that is?).
    Lots of margin there to work with and also we have some climbing lanes.
    With the possibility of no Td from the west lImerick area after GE, not a hope in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Can anyone out there do a gps trace of the bypass and submit to openstreetmap, please & thanks?

I notice that the n21-n23 section has been uploaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Can anyone out there do a gps trace of the bypass and submit to openstreetmap, please & thanks?

I did the N21-N23 section. I thought that it was switched on but it obviously my iphone app needs a few mins to warm up, otherwise the whole lot of the bypass would be on openstreetmap. :D I'l try another shot over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Better late than never but ...

Tonight I drove it for the first time and WOW! Seriously didn't believe how great a feeling it would be to not have to crawl through Castleisland at a snails' pace!

I won't get into the shocking state of driving on the roads though! Not now.

But again, great job on this by-pass. I was looking back on this thread at all the pictures that were posted by everyone and to see it come to fruition like this is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I drove it last night also. A great job and a credit to all concerned. Its weird going through the new roundabout on the limerick road,i must have driven the old road hundreds of times,so its strange meeting it from the new one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Better late than never but ...

Tonight I drove it for the first time and WOW! Seriously didn't believe how great a feeling it would be to not have to crawl through Castleisland at a snails' pace!

I won't get into the shocking state of driving on the roads though! Not now.

But again, great job on this by-pass. I was looking back on this thread at all the pictures that were posted by everyone and to see it come to fruition like this is unreal.

Agree 100%
    Drove it for the 1st time last Wednesday - from the Farranfore side going to Limerick.

(Just a pity my car broke down in Abbeyfeale - but that's another story :o)

Great road, especially from the Tralee roundabout and a great relief not be crawling through Castleisland on a Friday night.
    And .... I'm sure the people of the town are delighted to get their Main street back also. Can't have been great fun having it clogged up with every car, truck and bus in the county.
    So, win-win all round. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Caher

Can someone tell the dumbass cyclists to use the CYCLE lane on the Castleisland bypass- its the one with a sign with a picture of a bike. Saw a guy almost run over as a car approached at dusk, saw him at last minute and couldn't swerve as there was another car alongside in the overtaking lane! There is no hard shoulder, therefore no margin for error. I've seen several cyclists using the road in recent weeks, but not one using the much sought-after cycle lane. If people don't want to use the cycle lane, they can always use the now much quieter former N21 (now a secondary route) to reach their destination without putting themselves or others in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've seen this elsewhere too where there are dedicated cycle lanes in place but some cyclists still choose to share the road with speeding articulated lorries, buses etc I'm not a regular cyclist but I can't understand the mentality of anyone choosing to use a dangerous open road with all the associated risks when you have the far safer option of a dedicated cycle lane alongside it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Caher wrote: »
    Can someone tell the dumbass cyclists to use the CYCLE lane on the Castleisland bypass- its the one with a sign with a picture of a bike. Saw a guy almost run over as a car approached at dusk, saw him at last minute and couldn't swerve as there was another car alongside in the overtaking lane! There is no hard shoulder, therefore no margin for error. I've seen several cyclists using the road in recent weeks, but not one using the much sought-after cycle lane. If people don't want to use the cycle lane, they can always use the now much quieter former N21 (now a secondary route) to reach their destination without putting themselves or others in danger.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    I've seen this elsewhere too where there are dedicated cycle lanes in place but some cyclists still choose to share the road with speeding articulated lorries, buses etc I'm not a regular cyclist but I can't understand the mentality of anyone choosing to use a dangerous open road with all the associated risks when you have the far safer option of a dedicated cycle lane alongside it :confused:

Unfortunately, it (the cycle path) is entirely unsafe and unsuitable for large groups of cyclists (as in club or sport riders) - if there had been consultation with local cycling clubs when the road was planned, there would certainly be a hard shoulder, the omission of which i'm sure most would agree is of little sense.

Cycle lanes in general are useful for commuter and novice cyclists but when it comes to any thing more than that (e.g. sport cyclists) one or two individuals would be about ok so long as the don't meet any pedestrians or oncoming riders which the path is also supposed to cater for. The current path is simply too narrow and the exit unsafe.

The road is entirely safe for cyclists to use so long as all road users obey the road and traffic laws/regs, show appropriate caution and each other mutual respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mob555

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it (the cycle path) is entirely unsafe and suitable for large groups of cyclists (as in club or sport riders) - if there had been consultation with local cycling clubs when the road was planned, there would certainly be a hard shoulder, the omission of which i'm sure most would agree is of little sense.

Cycle lanes in general are useful for commuter and novice cyclists but when it comes to any thing more than that (e.g. sport cyclists) one or two individuals would be about ok so long as the don't meet any pedestrians or oncoming riders which the path is also supposed to cater for. The current path is simply too narrow and the exit unsafe.

The road is entirely safe for cyclists to use so long as all road users obey the road and traffic laws/regs, show appropriate caution and each other mutual respect.

Have you driven or cycled on the Castleisland bypass. I have driven it and I can say without any doubt that it is not safe for a cyclist or groups of cyclists!

Yes I have both driven it and cycled it. As have many/most of my club and I'm sure other clubs local to north Kerry. And without incident.

If the old road, which had equally little in the way of a hard shoulder was safe (and it was) how could the new road, with a whole *other* lane for the express purpose of overtaking (no need to patiently wait to safely overtake as per the old road) be less safe?

If one operates within the law and gives enough care and attention to what they are doing on the road (either on a bike or in a car) then there is no reason that the road shouldn't be entirely incident free.

Yes I have both driven it and cycled it. As have many/most of my club and I'm sure other clubs local to north Kerry. And without incident.

If the old road, which had equally little in the way of a hard shoulder was safe (and it was) how could the new road, with a whole *other* lane for the purpose of overtaking (no need to patiently wait to safely overtake as per the old road) be less safe?

If one operates within the law and gives enough care and attention to what they are doing on the road (either on a bike or in a car) then there is no reason that the road shouldn't be entirely incident free.

If one operates within the law and gives enough care and attention to what they are doing on the road then there should be no accidents at all on any road. Unfortunately, this does not happen.

Also, does anyone know if it is legal for a cyclist not to use a cycle lane if it is provided?

mob555 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if it is legal for a cyclist not to use a cycle lane if it is provided?

The Gardaí? Tralee Station is 066 712 2022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

if there had been consultation with local cycling clubs when the road was planned, there would certainly be a hard shoulder, the omission of which i'm sure most would agree is of little sense.

There was plenty of consultation before the road was built. The reason there is no hardshoulder is due to the design of the scheme. These new type 2 dual carriageways will not have hard shoulders and are proven to be more safer than the old wide single carriageway design. How many people commute to work in Castleisland with a bicycle? People should be grateful that the cycle path was put there as it doesnt normally on these 2+2 roads.

While it is not illegal I think it can be highly dangerous in certain circumstances. At night for instance without proper reflectors/lights could potentially cause an accident. Also if traffic is busy on both lanes there is no available space for cyclists and will result in many drivers braking.

Unfortunately, it (the cycle path) is entirely unsafe and unsuitable for large groups of cyclists (as in club or sport riders) -

The cycle lane is fine for 1-2 cyclsists but if there is many like you mentioned then the alternative route is clearly sufficient enough running through Castleisland for this. The route was bypassed primarily for vehicles/motorcyclists/tractors.

tech2 wrote: »
    There was plenty of consultation before the road was built. The reason there is no hardshoulder is due to the design of the scheme. These new type 2 dual carriageways will not have hard shoulders and are proven to be more safer than the old wide single carriageway design. How many people commute to work in Castleisland with a bicycle? People should be grateful that the cycle path was put there as it doesnt normally on these 2+2 roads.

I don't know what to tell you - you'd think that in gathering the opinion of all potential stakeholders they might have made some contact with the county's biggest cycling club - they didn't, what can I say?.
    While it is not illegal I think it can be highly dangerous in certain circumstances. At night for instance without proper reflectors/lights could potentially cause an accident. Also if traffic is busy on both lanes there is no available space for cyclists and will result in many drivers braking.

I entirely agree with you and would extend it further to say that anyone cycling anywhere in reduced light conditions, be it on an open road, town street or cycle track without effective illumination is an idiot/bike ninja and looking to prove Darwin right. I also agree that if traffic is busy and there are cars in the over taking lane then cars on the left most lane would have to brake, as they would for any other slower moving form of traffic.

The cycle lane is fine for 1-2 cyclsists but if there is many like you mentioned then the alternative route is clearly sufficient enough running through Castleisland for this. The route was bypassed primarily for vehicles/motorcyclists/tractors.

IIRC the route was bypassed primarily for all traffic that would otherwise have to pass through Castleisland town.

The Gardaí? Tralee Station is 066 712 2022

I think you understood my question. I wanted to know if anyone reading my post knew the law regarding cyclist and cycle lanes. I'm not going to waste my time or money ringing the Gardai in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

if they cant use the cycle lane they should use a car, ppl want the cycle lane and then dont use it typical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

:eek:

mob555 wrote: »
    I think you understood my question. I wanted to know if anyone reading my post knew the law regarding cyclist and cycle lanes. I'm not going to waste my time or money ringing the Gardai in Tralee.

Currently there is no law to ban cyclists from these 2+2 roads. They(2+2 roads) were only piloted a few years ago. Hopefully the minister for transport will eventually bring in new restrictions soon to take the cyclists off this road and use the alternative route which is much safer and less traffic on it. As for just 1-2 cyclists they should use the cycle path IMO for their own safety.

I would rather fall off the bike on the footpath than be killed by a car on one of the carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Currently there is no law to ban cyclists from these 2+2 roads. They(2+2 roads) were only piloted a few years ago. Hopefully the minister for transport will eventually bring in new restrictions soon to take the cyclists off this road and use the alternative route which is much safer and less traffic on it. As for just 1-2 cyclists they should use the cycle path IMO for their own safety.

I would rather fall off the bike on the footpath than be killed by a car on one of the carriageways.

I'm pretty sure that in the rules of the road it states that if there's a cycle land, it HAS to be used by a cyclist. Being an occasional cyclist, I can't understand why you'd rather travel on a 100 km/h road than a cycle lane.

The bypass is now mapped on google maps here.

The bypass is now mapped on google maps here.
    Im not surprised, because twice already this week i have met the google car driving up from Kenmare, though with the camera folded down. So they mst be filling in the gaps,of which there is many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Caher

I don't know what to tell you - you'd think that in gathering the opinion of all potential stakeholders they might have made some contact with the county's biggest cycling club - they didn't, what can I say?.

I entirely agree with you and would extend it further to say that anyone cycling anywhere in reduced light conditions, be it on an open road, town street or cycle track without effective illumination is an idiot/bike ninja and looking to prove Darwin right. I also agree that if traffic is busy and there are cars in the over taking lane then cars on the left most lane would have to brake, as they would for any other slower moving form of traffic.

IIRC the route was bypassed primarily for all traffic that would otherwise have to pass through Castleisland town.

Would this slower moving form of traffic include large vehicles such as cars, trucks and buses fitted with full size tail-lights, fog lights etc moving at 60 -80kph or cyclists moving at 10-25 kph (or less on inclines)?; Big difference in visibility, as well as reaction time and braking effort required in avoiding collision with the former Vs the latter category.

Also happen to know that one of the main campaigners for the cycle lane is a local sports bike enthusiast!

I've added the final section yesterday on OSM and as someone else pointed out it is now on Google Maps too. I also updated the old sections of the former N21 and N23 to R roads. Does anyone know what the official designation of the old N23 bit is?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Im not surprised, because twice already this week i have met the google car driving up from Kenmare, though with the camera folded down. So they mst be filling in the gaps,of which there is many.

I'm still surprised as Googlemaps still use Teleatlas map data in Ireland - and copyright on map still shows Teleatlas.

They did ditch Telatlas in the US though. And they have accurate traces from their street car surveys - I wonder if they're about to drop teleatlas in Ireland soon as well.

Is the bypass just making it easier to rob the banks in Castleisland now that its quieter in the town now? :D

• Advertisement

at least the alarm is working :D

Advertisement