Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying advice

Options
  • 06-02-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Im looking out for a new phone at the moment and Im thinking id like to get something with alot of features for a change, ie mp3/mp4, proper web browsing, IM'ing, good pc connectivity options etc etc. Up until now Ive always just had pretty basic models.

Ideally I would like an Iphone but the pocket isnt that deep. Ive had alook at phones like the Nokia E51, 6300 After looking around ebay Ive spotted some Iphone clones from uk sellers which are very tempting given the price. I might go down that road but before I do I just want to know what people here would recommend in the line of a phone for t'interweb, MSN, music and the like. My budget would be up to €150

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

€150 prepay or €150 on a bill ?

Can't go wrong with an E51 (or E71 if you do a lot of text input).

There's a cheaper version of the E71 coming out later this year - called the E63.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Oh yeah, it'll be €150 on prepay. The E51 seems to be the one alright. Ill take alook at the E71 later on too, cheers.

Does anyone have any experience of these Iphone clones made by Chinese companies like Cect?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Keep away from clones...you'd be better off going for a second hand iphone than a new clone....it's got the best looking web browser of any phone...

i'd be with Long B, nokia e series has to be given a good look.....n95 might be another contender....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Cool cheers lads.

One other thing occured to me. Is it a waste of time getting a phone like this if your in an area that doesnt have 3g?

I tried to get 3 mobile BB out in the sticks where i live and couldnt get a signal so im just thinkin if i have no access to that would the internet n multimedia stuff on these smartphones be unuseable?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Paddo81 wrote: »
    Cool cheers lads.

One other thing occured to me. Is it a waste of time getting a phone like this if your in an area that doesnt have 3g?

I tried to get 3 mobile BB out in the sticks where i live and couldnt get a signal so im just thinkin if i have no access to that would the internet n multimedia stuff on these smartphones be unuseable?

That depends on what network you're on...If you have no 3G coverage on any network bar 3 but still have GPRS (2G), then you should be ok. If you have EDGE coverage (an extension of GPRS) then you should be bale to browse the net pretty fast on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bingus666

Stay well away from clones, I just got diddled (€163) on ebay by getting a N96 (to update my N958GB), very good copy but once I tried to update on PC suite nothing happened. All links not working, no usual software: GPS, Device manager, web browser, games, WLAN & Camera was 2mp & not 5mp as it should be. Like buying a merc & getting a lada engine in it... piece a sh1t... have opened a paypal dispute & am confident to win it as seller sold a counterfeit item.... :mad:

Advertisement