Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracey Flinter for President

Options
  • 06-02-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I think a great choice in our next President should be Tracey Flinter. She is really dedicated to helping students out, like even the example that she is on boards.ie and does check to see if there are any ways in which she can help.

She is always a help to us 1st years in Cathal Brugha St. even when she looks busy she will always ask if you need help. She is very approachable and friendly. She helped when we had a problem with lack of class breaks.

She also help get the library opening hours extended over the exam period for the first semester.

So when it comes to voting time remember how proactive Tracey has been and vote Flinter :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

JohnG18 wrote: »
    I think a great choice in our next President should be Tracey Flinter. She is really dedicated to helping students out, like even the example that she is on boards.ie and does check to see if there are any ways in which she can help.

She is always a help to us 1st years in Cathal Brugha St. even when she looks busy she will always ask if you need help. She is very approachable and friendly. She helped when we had a problem with lack of class breaks.

She also help get the library opening hours extended over the exam period for the first semester.

So when it comes to voting time remember how proactive Tracey has been and vote Flinter :D
    Did she give you your <snip> to post that?

I'll vote for the least useless one. It will be a tough decision, because they're all pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

In response to your question..no.

She is just really helpful and has gotten a lot done so I wouldn't call her useless.

JohnG18 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call her useless.
    Well I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

What has she done? Did she fulfill last years campaign promises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

Ass wrote: »
    Well I would.

that's a bit harsh. the two times i've needed to call on her she's always given me a response and has rang me a week later to make sure everything's sorted. so based on my experience i'd vote for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

What has she done? Did she fulfill last years campaign promises?

She got the libraries opening hours extended which was one of her core issues. She helped 2 stuents in my class alone find accomadation.

I'd love someone to find her manifesto from last year and go through it ticking what was done and what wasn't.
    In student politics I find people tend to promise a lot and never deliver, mostly because they do the job for a year and then get to disappear. The only time broken promises really count is when they're going for election again...then it's rather nice to bring up the past.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

keep it nice folk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

I'd love someone to find her manifesto from last year and go through it ticking what was done and what wasn't.
    In student politics I find people tend to promise a lot and never deliver, mostly because they do the job for a year and then get to disappear. The only time broken promises really count is when they're going for election again...then it's rather nice to bring up the past.

true of all politicians.

plus i've learned over the past 4 years of being in a course that's run by a person who has no time to run the course that the academic affairs team can only help to a certain degree. the lecturers union is too strong for any real dent to be made by the student union. the best they can do is to try and open the lines of communication and back up the students in their complaints, oh and keep a file on complaints for each lecturer. it is frustrating that lecturers seem to get away with murder but there is very little anyone can do about that.

there have been examples given in her favour, can you give examples of where she has let you down?

Oh no, I'm not against having her as president, I'm just asking the questions everyone should ask. I'm just trying to give some balance as it were.

I've actually heard very little from the SU this year, which is a bit worrying since I'm in class with a convenor, but, meh, I've heard nothing good or bad (which some would view as bad anyway)

I dislike when student politicians (edit: All politicians,but we've no decent media to catch out our politicians) promise things they have no idea how to deliver. I think a few years back the wannabe president promised we'd all be using a gmail based student email (like TCD) but, um, look at the mess we're left using now.

Personally, having experienced student unions in other colleges, I'd say DIT's SU is quite weak, despite having big numbers (and if I'm not mistaken, relatively healthy amounts of capitation cash).

This is normally the point when an SU rep gets on and says "stop complaining and do something about it", but, I've tried in the past and it's reeeeally hard to change anything in DIT (especially relating to staff). There seems to be something institutionalised in the place that keeps it ticking over, yet we've got wallpaper over our cracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I saw her Cillet Bang poster earlier in the week, in which she promised to clear out the dirt from the college.

What is so dirty about the incumbant President?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I saw her Cillet Bang poster earlier in the week, in which she promised to clear out the dirt from the college.

What is so dirty about the incumbant President?

Anyone know?

Not sure but the place is filthy. Ever used the guys toilet in bolton street near the SU. Smells like stail urine every time you go in. Makes you want to vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Think postive

Best of Luck .

Not sure but the place is filthy. Ever used the guys toilet in bolton street near the SU. Smells like stail urine every time you go in. Makes you want to vomit.
    Jaysus, the lads jacks smells of piss? The shock, the horror...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Ass wrote: »
    Jaysus, the lads jacks smells of piss? The shock, the horror...

Its normal for guys toilets to smell a bit but this is like nothing I have ever smealt. Its as if someone pissed on the floor when the place was built and no on ehas cleaned it since.

Its normal for guys toilets to smell a bit but this is like nothing I have ever smealt. Its as if someone pissed on the floor when the place was built and no on ehas cleaned it since.
    Maybe it's not the jacks. Maybe it's just you. Do you smell of piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its ammonia you're smelling, not sure why there is such a strong concentration of it in that bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 i.like.stuff

This is normally the point when an SU rep gets on and says "stop complaining and do something about it", but, I've tried in the past and it's reeeeally hard to change anything in DIT (especially relating to staff). There seems to be something institutionalised in the place that keeps it ticking over, yet we've got wallpaper over our cracks.

I am involved in the union but Im not gonna say "do someting about it"...but I am going to say at least you can see how hard it is to get stuff done so you cant blame the union, its DIT being stubborn and they are the reason stuff does not get done fast...or at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭the_dart

I am involved in the union but Im not gonna say "do someting about it"...but I am going to say at least you can see how hard it is to get stuff done so you cant blame the union, its DIT being stubborn and they are the reason stuff does not get done fast...or at all!

Ha. That's funny because on the other thread, you told myself and another poster just that - "do someting about it". The inconsistency here is striking - you're a barrel of laughs. Maybe next year one of the elected reps going for re-election can run with the slogan "can't someone else do it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Flinter08/09

Well I suppose the saying is true there is no such thing as bad publicity! I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all of the students who did vote in this years SU elections. For all those that didn't or didn't even realise that it was actually happening I hope to engage with you next year so we can make the union bigger, better and stronger.

I agree with most of the comments that have been made here, DIT are slow to move and I also think that we have been slow this year in some ways in how we have reacted. There are a number of things we have been working on but students don't realsie it sadly, next year we hope to combat this with better communication in every way possible.

The fact that we even have students that are bothered to talk about the elections gives me some hope that students in DIT are actually concerned about what is going to happen in the next year within DIT.

Don't forget RAG Week starts on Monday!! :)

• Advertisement

Well I suppose the saying is true there is no such thing as bad publicity! I would just like to take this opportunity to thank all of the students who did vote in this years SU elections. For all those that didn't or didn't even realise that it was actually happening I hope to engage with you next year so we can make the union bigger, better and stronger.

I agree with most of the comments that have been made here, DIT are slow to move and I also think that we have been slow this year in some ways in how we have reacted. There are a number of things we have been working on but students don't realsie it sadly, next year we hope to combat this with better communication in every way possible.

The fact that we even have students that are bothered to talk about the elections gives me some hope that students in DIT are actually concerned about what is going to happen in the next year within DIT.

Don't forget RAG Week starts on Monday!! :)
    I didn't vote for you because you were shite. Just fyi. If you're not so shit next year, I might vote for you.

I said that because you said you had been involved and are still moaning about stuff not being done. If you were involved you would have known how hard it is to get stuff done is all Im saying, so I dont understand how you can still blame the union when you know its not their fault.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

wrapping this up soon...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Before this is closed, can i just ask Tracey what her aims for the coming year are?
    If Tracey would like to reply to this Im sure she would mind it being stickied, it would be interesting over the next year also to get regular updates from her if possible.

Oh wow, I completely missed this since I'm off on Erasmus, but, hah, wow. I actually came on because I saw someone join a facebook group about Martin Dunne for president, and since the name rang a bell I thought I'd strike up a discussion about the candidates... but... yeah, nevermind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

The Martin Dunne for President bit relates to USI, he is running for president there.

Thanks! In the meanwhile I realised why the name was familiar :P

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

wixfjord wrote: »
    Before this is closed, can i just ask Tracey what her aims for the coming year are?
    If Tracey would like to reply to this Im sure she would mind it being stickied, it would be interesting over the next year also to get regular updates from her if possible.

No reply from Tracey yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh come on now give her a chance, we aren't all tied to the internet 24/7

• Advertisement

wixfjord wrote: »

this is her manifesto - http://ditsu.adnet.ie/traceyflinter

Advertisement