Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky +

Options
  • 06-02-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello there
    Just wondering, do any of the residents in the Fairways know if there is any update to getting Sky+ installed. They were recently doing a promotion that if 4 or more people in your block expressed an interest in getting Sky+, and they would then go and sort it out with the management company. Asked Fred a few months ago and he mentioned problems with planning permission??? Would love to be able to leave NTL but that's a rant for another day.
    Know anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

I would sign up for that in a heartbeat, count me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 hon79

Hi Pablo
    According to Sky, many people have already expressed an interest so that is not the problem. Just wondering if the management company would allow it?

Tbh i doubt it in the extreme, the builders would have a contract with NTL to guarentee them full coverage in Charlesland as a whole. As we cant put dishes on our balcony we dont have much option.

However if Sky say they can make it happen if they get a critical mass of interest, then maybe they know somthing we dont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I think there would only be one dish per block and it would go on the roof, out of sight. So I doubt the management company could object.

They would not object about the dish as you said but they would object if they can be sued by NTL for allowing a competitor to set up in a block they have contract to be the sole provider in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Are you sure this contract really exists? Can't see how it would stand up in court to be honest.

There would have been some sort of tendering process for who got the contract to fit out the whole of Charlesland, its their wiring that runs through the apartment block and houses, thats why we dont need 1200 dishes.

I havnt seen anything but it stands to reason seeing as everyone has branded NTL points in their houses.

Friends in other developments have had the same problems with pre existing contracts in their blocks preventing them from going elsewhere.

A NTL engineer said that they go in during the building process and wire the whole place with their cabling (at their own expense i would imagine)

I really hoped to be proved wrong though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Tbh i doubt it in the extreme, the builders would have a contract with NTL to guarentee them full coverage in Charlesland as a whole. As we cant put dishes on our balcony we dont have much option.

However if Sky say they can make it happen if they get a critical mass of interest, then maybe they know somthing we dont?

If the builder had a contract with NTL then it's nothing to do with anyone else. Having said that I would be extremely doubtful that this is the case.

Sky will put a shared dish on the roof of the apartment block. If enough people contact Sky from the same block, Sky will contact the management company themselves to access the roof and install the dish. They will also notify other residents.

In my experience from another apartment elsewhere, NTL installed the infrastructure throughout the block when the apartments were built. From whom the customer received the service was then entirely up to themselves. A quick call to the management will solve it. It would be anti-competitive for a consumer to not be allowed to choose for themselves.

Emailed Wyse on info@wyse.ie on the 25/02/09.....still no response. This is actually the second time i got in touch with them about this with no acknowledgement.

I could suggest that if a few fellow residents also give them a mail they might start taking notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

I think the main reason for the management company being against Sky being installed is due to the fact that Sky hands over full ownership of the equipment after one year.

This would mean that if any Sky box would fail, the owner of the unit or the management company would have to pay to have it fixed. The same goes for the cabling infrastructure in the building.

When you look at the likes of UPC (NTL), they only "rent" the equipment and cabling to you and are therefore obliged to fix any issue that arises...

Just my two cents...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 hon79

Two emails to Wyse and still no response but not surprised either. Think I will have to forget about this idea for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

hon79 wrote: »
    Two emails to Wyse and still no response but not surprised either. Think I will have to forget about this idea for a while!

I didnt realise you couldnt just order sky? Im sick of NTL with their equipment. Digibox cuts off programmes all the time. Can only record one programme at a time and dont get me started on the remote!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

hon79 wrote: »

Would you not try calling them. Think they would find it hard to ignore over the phone.

Shouldnt have to..........they do take thousands of euro's off us every year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Shouldnt have to..........they do take thousands of euro's off us every year

I understand that but giving up is giving into them. Keep the pressure on and you and anybody else that are after sky there will get it.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    I understand that but giving up is giving into them. Keep the pressure on and you and anybody else that are after sky there will get it.
    True

Advertisement