Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New website C&C please

• 06-02-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Decided to move away from using a company name for my photography and go under my own name, so along with that came a new website:D So id love any opinions, critiques, improvements you would like to share. I decided to keep it plain and simple and easy to navigate:D

The main one im aware of is the sports section is mainly based around Mixed Martial Arts & boxing, but thats the only sports i do/have done at the minute lol:D

Thanks in advance:)

www.tommylakesphotography.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Just going throught the site and my initial view is that is is nicely done, however I'm not a lover of any site with a welcome page, I'd rather have gone to the next page to see what you have to offer.

Browsing the Models section first (ok I like reading menus :D), I liked the way the page is laid out. with the classy portrait of the model to the left and the thumbs to teh right. Initially when I clicked on the thumb I was trying to get rid of the image to get to the next. The white box (without the 'x') is a little bit confusing - and I have done a fair bit of web design. Maybe an 'x' in that little square might make it a little easier the not so web savy., However I do like the overlay. It's smooth and classy.

OK into the sports. I'm working of IE7, and when I clicked on a thumb in the lower section the full size image went to the top of the page, leaving me to scroll up to the image and them back down to the thumbs - just a scripting error. This is the same in the music section also - just a little anoying. BTW I love aslan as a band, but I'm not sure Christy would be too keen with the egg on the top of his head :D

In the families section, just my opinion but I the images too blown out and not at all apealing to the eye, in fact a bit harsh. Whilst the shots themselves are lovley and probably work very well framed, they do not you you justice here. The girl in the middle image being an example.

Finally, I have found the width of the site being cut short (please see attachment). Overall though Tommy - it's been well thought out and planned.

Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

cheers philip all taken on board:) improvements to come:)

does anyone else have the page width bein cut problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

First impressions are nice layout and fast loading.

After going through the site...

I'm a big fan of homepages. To me they are the backbone of any website.
    I definitely think you should construct a homepage and get rid of the default 'click to enter' page.
    I'm not sure I like the colour scheme? Way too much white.
    I'm not really a fan of your logo font. I find the font too thin and it doesn't really suit the website structure.
    Your code is valid which is always good.
    I see you used Flash for your whole website, a lot of people don't recommend using too much Flash as it can be bad for your SEO.
    Do you need a privacy policy/disclaimer if you are a registered business?
    I had no problem with page widths. (Firefox 3).

You have some cracking images there. Website bookmarked!

Hope this gives you a different point of view. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I agree with the first two commenters - get rid of the welcome page. Otherwise I like it, looks professional and has good images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

agreed, welcome page gone:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Tommy

It's much nicer now with the enter page gone. Just a quickie on the crop width, You've gotten rid of it however on the change between pages eg music to sport then white border shrinks then expands, its as if there is an interim loading that has not yet been repaired. Actually I've just gone through this again and it's the white fills around parts of the background. Try just seting your div background to white.

Advertisement