Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth it for the HD?

• 06-02-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

There is a new addition coming into my life in the next few weeks, a 40 inch 1080p HDTV. I have a Wii which I get decent use out of, 2 or 3 hours a week, some times more but what I'm wondering is should I consider getting my ands on a 360 or PS3 to take full advantage of the HD capabilities of the new TV?

I made a gaming choice when I bought the Wii, most of the games I want to play are on it, I dont particularly care for FPS's but I do miss quality driving games.

So what I'm asking is, Are the HD visuals reason enough to pick a 360 or PS3?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PGR 4 looks awesome and Forza 3 will be out this year. Forza 2 is great but not quite up there visually. Both 360. Don't know too much about other arcadey-type racers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Firstly I have both I play my Xbox more but, its just the way its worked out, there isn't a huge difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360, there are a few exclusives on either side, but not as many as there would have been before when the ps2 and original xbox were out.
    Gran Turismo 5 will we on the way during the year. You could pick up Colin McRae DiRT pretty cheap now and its a fairly decent game on either console.
    Purely Because the PS3 has Blu-Ray I'd go for that, with a 40" 1080p screen they'd look lovely. The diference on a HD screen between the wii and either of the other consoles is unreal. I can't stand to look at the Wii anymore. You don't know what ur missing, unless your like 9, are you 9? How can you afford that TV if your 9? I'll trade you for a Ben 10 watch! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Julez wrote: »
    Firstly I have both I play my Xbox more but, its just the way its worked out, there isn't a huge difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360, there are a few exclusives on either side, but not as many as there would have been before when the ps2 and original xbox were out.
    Gran Turismo 5 will we on the way during the year. You could pick up Colin McRae DiRT pretty cheap now and its a fairly decent game on either console.
    Purely Because the PS3 has Blu-Ray I'd go for that, with a 40" 1080p screen they'd look lovely. The diference on a HD screen between the wii and either of the other consoles is unreal. I can't stand to look at the Wii anymore. You don't know what ur missing, unless your like 9, are you 9? How can you afford that TV if your 9? I'll trade you for a Ben 10 watch! :p
    get the xbox,its not called the xbox 4 notting ;):),ya can now buy stand alone blue ray dvd players for the pc and and get a xbox cheaper than buyin a new ps3,and i dont tink theres much differenc brtween P and I graphics reolutin unless u have a tele bigger than a 42 44 inch,its only a salesman marketing ploy that info a tele is a tele rember and a tele is 4 life weather you like it r not:),if you go xbox all i recommend is projet gothem 4, i have all the driving games there for it and pgr4 is the 1 that dose it 4 me every time proper joyrides lol,i have to say there is noting wrong with forza or colin macre but pgr is the cream of the crop and there ment to be a new 1 in developement but i dont know if bizzare are developing it ,i have to add aswell xbox live isnt free like the ps3 version of it ,and its not worth payin for lately if your a ntl customer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not worth it just because you're getting a nice tv.

Id look at the back catalog of games and make a decision based on that, either way if you connect with hdmi it will look a lot better than the wii.

But levels of graphics vary from game to game. but in general 10 steps up from a wii game.

+1 for pgr4 on xbox though its a quality game.

if you watch a lot of movies then the blue ray on ps3 would nicec to have but cant comment on its games as ive only played metal gear solid 4 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

You shouldn't have posted this in the xbox forum, there are too much biased posts. Since quite a lot of the xbox exclusives are shooters which you don't care for, I'd say go with the ps3. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is very good racing game and since you like wii style I fully recommend LittleBigPlanet, if you haven't heard about it do an Internet search on it, it's quite hard to explain. I would also reccommend Uncharted: Drakes Fortune(adventure/action) game + the new one is coming out in the summer:). And MetalGearSolid4 and GT5 prolouge. Nearly all of these games will look great on a HDTV and watching blu-ray movies on the ps3 looks brillient. Go for what ever console you think you will prefer, you won't be dissappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Im an xbox 360 fanboy and love my xbox to bits however you say your not a fan of fps which is where most of the 360 games are excellent at.Id say you should go for ps3 if you dont like fps games.You might enjoy games such as little big planet,motorstorm and grand turismo.I have a phillips 42" 1080p tv and believe buy the new console today.Racing games to consider would be pure,pgr4,burnout,grid.

Out of that bunch id advise going for pure or grid purely based on graphics and better gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 John Sheehy

Keep your wii and don't bother getting a ps3 or xbox. If you're only using the wii 2 - 3 hours a week and it has all the games you like then I don't really know how much use you would get out of a ps3/xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Keep your wii and don't bother getting a ps3 or xbox. If you're only using the wii 2 - 3 hours a week and it has all the games you like then I don't really know how much use you would get out of a ps3/xbox.

But...but...the Wii is so crap.... :confused:

OP, in answer to your question, in a word: YES!

I was never a big fan of getting a new TV, but when we did and I switched from PAL-60 to 1080i HD, my God, the difference it made to the graphics!

Plus the TV has a "game mode" that I somehow makes it even better (I have no idea how, or the difference it makes, but I suspect it has to do with the frame rate or something like that).

Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I got a 42" HD tv yesterday and when i plugged my Xbox in and switched it to HD it looked amazing. The handy thing about the Xbox is your given the cable for HD whereas with the PS3 you will have to buy the HD cable seperatly.(Like i now have to:(). Although the PS3 can play blu-ray.

My advice would be to check the games selection of each console and see which one has the more games you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmm Ps3 total price = Console(399), HDMI cable (15), Headset (30) = 444 euro

Xbox = Console (239), 12 month live sub (60), HDMI cable (15), Wireless receiver (99) = 413 euro

Plus with the Ps3 you get an inbuilt blu ray player which would cost ya 200-300 euro.

Basically, Ps3 is better value no matter what the fanboys tell you :P

Xbox is only good for FPS, so if your into drving then Ps3 is the one for you, with Motorstorm and Gran Turismo 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Plus the TV has a "game mode" that I somehow makes it even better (I have no idea how, or the difference it makes, but I suspect it has to do with the frame rate or something like that).

Just my two cents.
    i presume ya have a plasma, if yes game mode moves the pictur 2 or 3 pixels every so often to stop burn in, if ys have a lcd i'm stumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Cheers guys, very helpful, a few of my mates have 360s but the ps3 does BluRay, its a tough choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If your mates have 360s you should probably get one too so that you can play online with them, swap games with them, etc.

I say this as someone who has both consoles!

guil07 wrote: »
    i presume ya have a plasma, if yes game mode moves the pictur 2 or 3 pixels every so often to stop burn in, if ys have a lcd i'm stumped

Ah good man, I had always wondered! You're right, it is in fact a plasma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Xbox = Console (239), 12 month live sub (60), HDMI cable (15), Wireless receiver (99) = 413 euro

Rofl...

I don't have a wireless receiver and yet somehow I can play on live. I wonder why that is? And your price estimates are laughable.

OP, what games do you play on the Wii? It's important to answer that because it really would be the best indicater as to which console you should buy! Both consoles have great racers.

PGR4 is racing perfection, simple as. But GT5 will have the Top Gear track... Hard to overlook ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Plus with the Ps3 you get an inbuilt blu ray player which would cost ya 200-300 euro.

Basically, Ps3 is better value no matter what the fanboys tell you :P

Xbox is only good for FPS, so if your into drving then Ps3 is the one for you, with Motorstorm and Gran Turismo 5.

Spoken like a true fanboy. I couldnt care less about either console but I just had to correct your rubbish..

Xbox 360 Arcade - €179
    HD Cable - €15

So thats €194 to play Xbox in HD.

The thing with the Xbox is it gives you a CHOICE with regards to having a hard drive/wireless/live etc.

As for racing games, Motorstorm is how many years old now and will GT5 ever appear? Where as there has been numerous highly rated titles for the Xbox.

Not a fanboi indeed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Spoken like a true fanboy. I couldnt care less about either console but I just had to correct your rubbish..

Xbox 360 Arcade - €179
    HD Cable - €15

I can't help but go one step further:

XBOX 360 60GB PRO + Forza 2, PGR4, Gears Of War, Halo 3 - €239.99 in Smyths.

I know the OP said they're not a fan of FPS but when they're free why not! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Rofl...

I don't have a wireless receiver and yet somehow I can play on live. I wonder why that is? And your price estimates are laughable.

I was comparing like to like, if you weren't so quick to reply maybe you would have noticed that.

And to here.from.day1 i am not a fanboy, i have both systems, and do concede that xbox is better for FPS's. However as i said above, when comparing like to like the PS3 is better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Yeah but what if you don't need the wirless adaptor???? or the HDMI cable??? thats 2 things u don't need to pay for with the 360

I only ever use my PS3 for watchin vids, can't stand the controller and because of that I don't play any games on it for long, do enjoy the odd burst of motorstorm tho.

Would rather play any game on the 360, not just FPS's.

• Advertisement

I was comparing like to like, if you weren't so quick to reply maybe you would have noticed that.

You might think you were comparing like to like, but you'd be wrong. here.from.day1 covered the points adequately. You're talking about things that simply aren't required for HD gaming (the HDMI cable if you have a pro console) or online gaming (wireless adapter). One could equally argue that you require the PS3 remote to watch blurays, but that would be stupid, because, while it makes it easier, it's not necessary.

Here's like for like for you.

Cost of playing games in HD.
    PS3 (€399) + HDMI Cable (€15) = €414
    Xbox 360 Arcade (€179) + HDMI Cable (€15) = €194

See what I did there.
    And to here.from.day1 i am not a fanboy, i have both systems, and do concede that xbox is better for FPS's. However as i said above, when comparing like to like the PS3 is better value.

Here's what you said: "Xbox is only good for FPS", which quite frankly is laughable when followed by "I am not a fanboy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Xbox 360 Arcade - €179
    HD Cable - €15

The thing with the Xbox is it gives you a CHOICE with regards to having a hard drive/wireless/live etc.

As for racing games, Motorstorm is how many years old now and will GT5 ever appear? Where as there has been numerous highly rated titles for the Xbox.

Not a fanboi indeed. :rolleyes:

There is a motorstorm 2 by the way and it was only released before Christmas. As for GT5, ok the prologue was released nearly a year ago now but even then, it was known that the full game was a long way off. I believed it is gonna be released in Japan at the end of the summer and over here not too long after. I certainly aint a fanboy either, i have both consoles:)

You might think you were comparing like to like, but you'd be wrong. here.from.day1 covered the points adequately. You're talking about things that simply aren't required for HD gaming (the HDMI cable if you have a pro console) or online gaming (wireless adapter). One could equally argue that you require the PS3 remote to watch blurays, but that would be stupid, because, while it makes it easier, it's not necessary.

Here's like for like for you.

Cost of playing games in HD.
    PS3 (€399) + HDMI Cable (€15) = €414
    Xbox 360 Arcade (€179) + HDMI Cable (€15) = €194

See what I did there.

Here's what you said: "Xbox is only good for FPS", which quite frankly is laughable when followed by "I am not a fanboy".

What are you talking about? Thats not comparing like for like, thats comparing the bare minimum need to get started.

The PS3 set up you have there has a hard drive and wireless internet connection, everyone agrees the arcade version of the 360 is pretty lame without a hard drive and whilst wireless isn't essential its included in PS3 so its should be included in an actual like for like comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I purchased both the 360 and the PS3 on their launch days.
    I buy 3-4 new release games a month for the 360.
    I can't remember when I last bought a PS3 game.
    I buy more PC games than PS3 games.
    If it wasn't for the blu-ray playback on the PS3 I'd never turn it on.

What are you talking about? Thats not comparing like for like, thats comparing the bare minimum need to get started.

The PS3 set up you have there has a hard drive and wireless internet connection, everyone agrees the arcade version of the 360 is pretty lame without a hard drive and whilst wireless isn't essential its included in PS3 so its should be included in an actual like for like comparison.

The devil can cite scripture for his purpose. I was being facetious... of course my comparison isn't valid, but neither is his. My saying 'See what I did there' is to show that anyone can compare 2 things and come up with the result they want.

For the record, answer this question: Which console offers the absolute cheapest method of playing HD games. ;)

The devil can cite scripture for his purpose. I was being facetious... of course my comparison isn't valid, but neither is his. My saying 'See what I did there' is to show that anyone can compare 2 things and come up with the result they want.

For the record, answer this question: Which console offers the absolute cheapest method of playing HD games. ;)

I don't think you were being facetious at all and his comparison is perfectly valid.

I don't think you were being facetious at all and his comparison is perfectly valid.

Think what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Think this is a PS3 review here

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CapRooney

ha ha had a good laugh at that vid. Although It would have been funnier if it was released at the time the PS3 came out as its kinda irrelevant now. The OP said which would make use of the HD capabilities more and i think the PS3 would because of the blu ray playback. Plus the 360 is brutal with for playing movies. Sounds like a boeing 747 taking off in the background!!! Also the PS3 has a more wider choice of games than the 360 who its libary seems full of fps and knock off's (a la lips and scene it!).

But then the 360 is cheaper but I feel like you end up paying top dollar for extras(wireless adaptor, batteries, hard drive) but then again depending on your needs you might not have to purchase them. All in all its up to yourself both are great console but coming from someone who has all 3 consoles I prefer my PS3.

You should have posted this in the general games section as opposed to the xbox section as the replies are from xbox users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement