Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical, when was your last?

• 06-02-2009 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Mine was about 2, maybe 3 years ago with my job at the time. It was actually really good of them, it was on the premises and completely free.

Nurse came in, saw everyone one by one over about 2 or 3 days. We did blood tests, EKG, urine test, weight/bmi, also lung/breathing test. Then a couple of weeks later a doctor came in and went through the results with us.

Considering I'm in a shítty condition physically, I was fine except for slightly high cholesterol, although he did say I'm at risk from diabetes:(

So, when was yours, how did it go?

Also, if I wanted a similar medical, do I just go to a GP? Would they do everything as stated above? Would they do anything more or less?

Ta very much. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

Never had one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, if it wasn't for the job, I would never have had one either:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So, when was yours, how did it go?

I had one about two weeks ago, as I mentioned in the thread I started.

All went surprisingly well, apart from high cholesterol.
    Also, if I wanted a similar medical, do I just go to a GP? Would they do everything as stated above? Would they do anything more or less?

Depends on the GP and what facilities they have. Where I go to, it is more of a medical center, so they have all the relevant equipment, including ECG.

But yes, your GP would be able to do most of the tests.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

About 6 months ago, everything came back fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Never had one either, for a job or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A few months ago for life insurance policy, went extremely well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Never had one.. Would be interested to get one though! Just to see like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

2004, for a job. came back perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I do a medical once a year for work. Very thorough.

But I dont think its the same as a general medical. My medical is looking for very specific things to do with breathing, eyesight, heart condition, etc.

To my knowledge they wouldnt investigate anything unusual unless it affected one of the criteria for work. They might tell me to of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I would get one but how necessary is it for an 18 year old? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Futurism wrote: »
    I would get one but how necessary is it for an 18 year old? :rolleyes:
    Well considering only old people get sick, it's probably not necessary at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Well I started my job at 18. Plenty of people failed the medical. Most for very small things.
    Some people for heart defects, diabetes, epilepsy, etc. All were unaware they had them. Age not a factor is what I'm trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Well considering only old people get sick, it's probably not necessary at all. :rolleyes:
    fluffer wrote: »
    Well I started my job at 18. Plenty of people failed the medical. Most for very small things.
    Some people for heart defects, diabetes, epilepsy, etc. All were unaware they had them. Age not a factor is what I'm trying to say.

Hence the :rolleyes:

I plan on getting one soon actually. Hopefully everything will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've never had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Free job related medicals ftw!

July of last year was my last one. Hearing and vision perfect, colour vision normal, teeth fine, urine fine, blood fine, testicles fine :D clean bill of health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

10 months ago. Turned out that I have pretty crap eye sight and I was told I would have to get glasses (never got them though). Everything else was fine, apart from the doctor being a thunderin bitch! :P

Advertisement