Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Labour Has Proposed To Fix the Economy

Options
  • 07-02-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Labour are starting to get attention from conservative FF/FG supporting journalists now. They don't like what they are doing, because it upsets the status quo. They have now have started to say Labour are bluffing, that they don't have any solutions. Well, I reckon they do and I reckon it's better than anything put forward by Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil.

Your opinion should go here, not propaganda from your party - GY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm with you on most of it but can you expand on this
    * A Stimulus Package to promote activity in the construction sector, including school building and urban regeneration
    * A Greens Jobs strategy, including measures to promote home insulation and green energy generation

I'm with you on the schools.
    But insulation? Even you'll agree that in the last 10 year builders have slapped together estates of poorly built houses and charged premium prices on them. So if the insulation is poor now you are asking the state to manage a scheme to improve insulation and energy efficency.

A prevenatitive measure would be to improve building standards. It's well known that the best built houses these days are council houses. Now I know there is a stigma to council houses but the standards applied far exceed that of most private houses. Stroll over to Accomadation forum and see the weekly rants about non-existant sound proofing.

* A Consumer Confidence Package, including a Guarantee for the family home and a temporary cut in VAT

What's a gurantee on a family home? I've a wife, two kids and I stop paying my mortgage then are you saying I will face no consequences.
    I'm not saying throw people on the streets but if you people don't bother to pay their obligations then it's only making suckers out of the people who do pay.
    Hey maybe I misread this part but it's not clear what this gurantee is about

It sounds more of the usual crap of lets point out what the government has done wrong and lets throw in some other ideas. Don't get me wrong, some of the ideas are good in themselves, but I think parties need to start looking at how the government itself operates and where they see themselves contributing.

I would have liked to see some notes on requirements for politicians in office to be skilled in the office they're placed. I'm sick to death of having people in charge of our economy who probably have problems doing their household budgets. I'd enjoy the novelty of having ministers who have actually worked before in the sectors they're assigned to.

I'd also have liked to see notes how how they'd intend to spend more efficiently seeking out more cost effective measures. Its all very well to say that we need better education, and better hospitals but money has always been pumped into these sectors without really looking at the problems.

The problem i always see with these announcements is that they're full of useful new ideas and full of things we can replace. I'd really like to see some intention to analyze what actually went wrong and put in measures to fix them. And to prevent it from happening again.
    * Provision could be made to assist families in difficulty in meeting mortgage repayments – this could be as cost effective or potentially more so, than paying for private rented accommodation for an evicted family.

I'm single and own my own home. I'm also now unemployed due to the current economic climate. Mind telling me if Labour is capable of helping me and the other single people with mortgages in Ireland? Since renting the place (i'm forced to live with my parents), and my employment benefit barely covers the mortgage and insurance....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I couldnt read it to the end, in economic terms its nonsense , if borrowing and spending worked then the same logic should work on an individual level which it obviously doesnt. For every "job" created under these schemes they wont count the numerous others destroyed

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Posting just advertise your party is not allowed. If you want to do a party political broadcast pay for the advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm sorry, but you've spammed a party political pamphlet on the site.

Not gonna happen.

If you want to edit your Original post to summarize your opinion on the proposals, or PM me your opinon, fine, do so and I'll re-open and edit your post.

Otherwise. Locked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Not sure if this thread is locked or not...

Would it be enough to have the proposal section in quotes with a simple discuss to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You do realise that the proposals are pie in the sky nonsense?

We are 19,000 million in the hole and we spend 60,000 a year. We are basically a third down, and are going to stretch our credit to the limit to cover it, and we may not be able to raise all of it even if we want to!

You can't spend what you haven't got.

Go away, take a look at the way the world is, not the way you want it to be, and come back with a set of proposals that actually take into account that we are in real trouble. We won't return to the levels of tax-take that allowed us to spend €60,000 million a year for at least a decade, if then. Should we borrow for those ten years?

Do you actually think that that is possible?

Some of the proposals are grand but we cannot spend more or cut taxes at the moment, we don't have it.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise the thread was locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Whoops... the warm buzz of my pager distracted me!! ;) locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tristram wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is locked or not...

Would it be enough to have the proposal section in quotes with a simple discuss to follow?

I'd also like to see discussion of the proposals. If someone has a link to them in pdf format or whatever and wants to start a debate on them that would be excellent. Cutting and pasting the party line into a post and not offering any analysis of it will be deemed as advertising for the party though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement