Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show

Options
  • 07-02-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

You have to admire the way in which Eamonn Dunphy handled Eoghan Harris on the late late show. Must say Eoghan Harris really is the most accomplished political prostitute in the history of the Irish state. He started as a communist, then freewheeled in the workers party, did standup comedian for the blueshirts and finished up appointed by Bertie to the Senate.

I rest my case!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

What are you on about!

Dunphy and his emmotional heartfelt performance but its too late for this years oscars.

waters, dunphy and harris = 3 tins of ronseal you know exactly what your going to get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Late Late in politics ? It might be live but is it not scripted ? Pat Kenny couldn't think of a decent question 'ad lib' to save his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Burtchaell wrote:
    ; Must say Eoghan Harris really is the most accomplished political prostitute in the history of the Irish state.

A very accurate summary of his performance tonight - he came out with some tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Burtchaell wrote: »
    Eoghan Harris really is the most accomplished political prostitute in the history of the Irish state
    :D

quote of the day

I thought Dunphy might mention the pay cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Absolute tripe alright. Maybe his chinese generals will save the economy for us:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

Dunphy played the populist card very well but he has very valid points regarding accountability & the public needing to see some heads roll (Seanie Fitz, the regulator etc)

But am I alone in thinking that the media are over playing the negatiivity, hyping up the bust as much as they hyped up the 'boom'. very little constructive commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Must say Eoghan Harris really is the most accomplished political prostitute in the history of the Irish state.

Indeed. The man is a walking, talking joke. Dunphy's tearjerk did little for me.

SOH32 wrote: »
    Dunphy played the populist card very well but he has very valid points regarding accountability & the public needing to see some heads roll (Seanie Fitz, the regulator etc)

But am I alone in thinking that the media are over playing the negatiivity, hyping up the bust as much as they hyped up the 'boom'. very little constructive commentary.

The media are building up the negativity and yet dunphy only takes a 10% pay cut on €300k

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Dunphy was the first to take the 10% cut. He was the first to offer it and how many have followed his example??? At least its a start. If they were all that correct then it would be better.

Dunphy was the first to take the 10% cut. He was the first to offer it and how many have followed his example??? At least its a start. If they were all that correct then it would be better.

He was the first to take the cut and the first to take the credit Enda Kenny style.

Dunphy always plays the same political cards the hepatitus C suffers, the suits (bankers / fai) and the victimised criminals in the joy for stealing bread rolls

• Advertisement

MrMiyagi wrote: »

Dunphy always plays the same political cards the hepatitus C suffers, the suits (bankers / fai) and the victimised criminals in the joy for stealing bread rolls
    ya , but its a very valid point. who deserves to be in jail more- a shoplifter or someone who embezzled millions?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ya , but its a very valid point. who deserves to be in jail more- a shoplifter or someone who embezzled millions?

True but I cant see the cops pulling up to the country club to collect fitzpatrick

At least the enron guys all got jail accept one died before trial

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

Daroxtar wrote: »

but do we honestly expect to see anybody convicted over the many irregularities?

There is much to be said about looking forward & expending energies on navigating our way out of this turmoil but surely a part of that process involves punishing those who breached trust, company law, stock exchange regs etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Dunphy the millionaire crying over the plight of the common man - f**k off yah spoofer.

its the biggest problem with the law here- no enforcement but everyone suffers for the mistakes of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Just to lighten things a little.
    I fell asleep last night on couch, Pat Kenny does that to me ;)
    Other half woke me and first thing I see facing me is Harris on the telly :mad:
    First words out of my mouth ala Fr Jack were "who let that gobshi** on ".
    I should have known it was still the late late :rolleyes:

Why does Late Late continously give a platform to that muppet ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Dunphy the millionaire crying over the plight of the common man - f**k off yah spoofer.

dunphy has always been a populist posing as a radical independant free thinking rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Two things about the Late late last night, first was the sanctimonious Harris oozing verbose rubbish and his beloved Bertie mentioned several times and then Brian Cowen with equal measure. Boy does he love to talk and the sound of his own voice. Nauseating.

The second thing, Cian O Connor and Uncle Pat gently guiding him through his interview and about losing his gold medal. At the end there was only one to blame for the doping of the horse, it was that dirty horse himself Waterford Crystal who got the dope , took it himself and never told Cian or the coach or anybody. Pathetic. A fairytale.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I think if Dunphy had his way we'd be burning down bankers houses right now, I'd probably be there helping too.... I thought it honest that he admitted to being hoodwinked by the dream lifestyle, chances of his house being knocked-on by the Sherrifs is slim mind you. I found myself getting emotional in my own way during his outbursts, I know too many people losing their jobs..........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think if Dunphy had his way we'd be burning down bankers houses right now, I'd probably be there helping too....

And how would that solve the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Of course it wouldn't help, I jest. I do think however its time for action and accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

...I do think however its time for action and accountability.
    Spot on! There are people that have spent time in Mountjoy for not paying the TV licence fee. John Waters claimed that there is no point in pursuing the bankers as that will not get us out of the recession, agreed, however there is a thing called 'justice' and the guys that have f**ked-up must be made accountable and punished accordingly, otherwise we may as well pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

juuge wrote: »
    John Waters claimed that there is no point in pursuing the bankers as that will not get us out of the recession,

I don't think he did. His message was that going after the bankers would not get us out of our trouble, and that he wanted to focus on what was necessary on what would would do that.

Things then became so fractured, with Dunphy ranting and then playing the sad violin, that the discussion was derailed.

But I don't think Waters has a clue about what to do; nor has Dunphy; nor has Harris (whose only message seemed to be "Trust Brian Cowen").

I turned it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

But I don't think Waters has a clue about what to do; nor has Dunphy; nor has Harris (whose only message seemed to be "Trust Brian Cowen").

I turned it off.

Well since you have the Answer's Mr Breathnach can you help me out. My brother was laid off last month after 13 years hard work to the same building company, married with 3 children, nice house in Tallaght. He took home 750 a week and with household bills a mortgage and 4 mouths to feed it was enough. He has no debts other than the mortgage, she drives 99 fiesta, he drives 96 renault megane, 1 holiday a year and 1 night out a month, but they were happy. Now his world is in turmoil still has 4 mouths to feed given 3000euro payoff company was broke, he put it straight of the mortgage, social welfare gives him 340 a week to cover everything, the guy was in tears on thursday at my table looking for a loan of a 100 euro to get shopping in tesco's. My point is Dunphy is right about Joe Public and till you experience it you know absolutly nothing about it my friend.

I never thought much of Eamon Dunphy up to now but he's the only person i've seen thats been real about whats going on in this country, and till your the one on the dole que wondering where the kids lunches, yes lunches for school the next day are coming from, i don't feel you can have a go at somebody for standing up for them, you never know you might see my brother down the dole office next week and you might know how it feels.

Jail them all every one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭PYRO#1

Hard times are coming. I think the country needs to pull together. The wealthy need to help the poor. Those in jobs need to shoulder the tax burden to help those who have lost theirs. We needs the banks to front up!!!!!!!!!!! This means the goverment needs to find those accountable, including the regulator, and punish them. The banks need to take a look at what people can pay back on mortgages and loans and accept less until we get the country back on its feet and people back working so they can continue to clear their debts. We need to make this country more self reliant and slowly grow our exports and we needs to upskill our workers. WE AS A PEOPLE AND A COUNTRY HAVE HUGE POTENTIAL!!! KEEPS YOUR HEADS AND DONT LOSE HEART UNTIL WE CAN GET OUT OF THIS MESS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

PYRO#1 wrote: »
    Hard times are coming. I think the country needs to pull together. The wealthy need to help the poor. Those in jobs need to shoulder the tax burden to help those who have lost theirs. We needs the banks to front up!!!!!!!!!!! This means the goverment needs to find those accountable, including the regulator, and punish them. The banks need to take a look at what people can pay back on mortgages and loans and accept less until we get the country back on its feet and people back working so they can continue to clear their debts. We need to make this country more self reliant and slowly grow our exports and we needs to upskill our workers. WE AS A PEOPLE AND A COUNTRY HAVE HUGE POTENTIAL!!! KEEPS YOUR HEADS AND DONT LOSE HEART UNTIL WE CAN GET OUT OF THIS MESS!!!

+1 WELL SAID MAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

does anyone have a link to the interview? i can't see one on rte

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭SeanW

What's up with Eoin Harris anyway - is he going for a "transparent whore of the year" award or something?

I only watched a few minutes of it, including Dunphy's breakdown, but in the space of about 1/4 of an hour, he:
    Compared Brain Cowen to Winston Churchill :eek:
    Said of punishing the banking regulator and bankers that made crazily bad loans that scapegoating won't solve anything :eek::eek:
    Then at another point when asked whether Brian Cowen should apologies for his (mis)handling of the property bubble during his time as Minister for Finance, he said that would be like asking Tony Blair to apologise for the Famine. :eek::eek::eek:

WTF? If he's the only one confident we'll pull through this and that Brian Cowen is the man to do it, then we may as well all just pack up and move to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Here here! pokerface_me knows exactly what its about. I totally agree and I never had much time for Dunphy until recently. At the minute he seems like the only one that has woken up and smelled the coffee!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Well since you have the Answer's Mr Breathnach can you help me out. My brother was laid off last month after 13 years hard work to the same building company, married with 3 children, nice house in Tallaght. He took home 750 a week and with household bills a mortgage and 4 mouths to feed it was enough. He has no debts other than the mortgage, she drives 99 fiesta, he drives 96 renault megane, 1 holiday a year and 1 night out a month, but they were happy. Now his world is in turmoil still has 4 mouths to feed given 3000euro payoff company was broke, he put it straight of the mortgage, social welfare gives him 340 a week to cover everything, the guy was in tears on thursday at my table looking for a loan of a 100 euro to get shopping in tesco's. My point is Dunphy is right about Joe Public and till you experience it you know absolutly nothing about it my friend.

I never thought much of Eamon Dunphy up to now but he's the only person i've seen thats been real about whats going on in this country, and till your the one on the dole que wondering where the kids lunches, yes lunches for school the next day are coming from, i don't feel you can have a go at somebody for standing up for them, you never know you might see my brother down the dole office next week and you might know how it feels.

Jail them all every one of them.

I'm a public servant and I was mightily p....ed off after the introduction of the pension levy. After reading that post above I now realise how lucky I am. I'm by no means well off and money can be very tight but at least I have money coming in every week. If my levy means that it will help people like the chap mentioned find a way out of this mess, then so be it.

Advertisement