Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You omitted the bit where I said "Where people have done wrong, I believe they should be dealt with as wrongdoers." and quoted only "If we identify and punish wrongdoers, people might feel some satisfaction. But that won't fix our problems."

Fair enough but which approach should be taken ?

It`s yet another area where the "concensus" middle ground approach which enriched Ireland under the Aherne years may need to be replaced with some far more basic stuff.

For example the practices of Sean Fitzpatrick at Anglo Irish were not,we are told,actually illegal in themselves,however the depth and scale of the concealment which continued for years exposed the fatal flaw in our ENTIRE Financial Regulatory mechanism.

The Financial Regulators apparent ignorance of the more fundamental elements of auditing practice went towards further reducing the confidence quotient heretofore regarded as a bulwark of banking practice.

The established Financial Sector would appear to have moved rapidly to ensure that any element of investigation which might lead to legal proceedings will be stalled long enough for the shredders and incinerators to achieve a head of steam..

It`s worth repeating the former Taoiseach`s exhortations to some of the naysayers to "go off and commit suicide" if they thought things were all that bad.

If nobody`s guilty then there never was a crime..and so therefore it`s back to business as normal :)
    perhaps we should ditch our silly mindset of having to own our own house and do like other europeans so , rent for 40 years if nesscessery

Mind you there are an increasing number of young Irish,particularly those who have lived in the mainstream european countries,who are questioning this Irish disease whereby we sacrifice the best and most productive years of our lives on the altar of "Home Ownership"

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Fair enough but which approach should be taken ?

You don't have to choose one or the other. Deal with wrongdoers; do a number of things in an attempt to solve the problem.

Attempting to solve the problem is the greater need, and I think people are being deflected from the urgency of that need by a number of things, including anger at those who got things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    €100 a week is more than enough money to survive espescially went your rent is paid.

God, I don't agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

. €100 a week is more than enough money to survive espescially went your rent is paid.

€14 a day? You try doing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

€14 a day? You try doing it.....

I dont think you believe that yourself.

Look once your rent is paid with the rent allowance what do you need. €100 is more than enough.

Say €40 on food = shop in supermarket buy the valu labels this would overfill a trolley.

Say €20 on bills = split between ESB and Heating

Then €40 on clothes / discreationary spend

I have been in dole queues recently and have had to endure people bragging about being "on the swindle" and "being away on holidays for a few weeks".

Its b€llsh*t absolute b€llsh*t :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

True but I cant see the cops pulling up to the country club to collect fitzpatrick
    But why not? The problems in this country go much deeper than the banks.

MrMicra wrote: »
    But why not? The problems in this country go much deeper than the banks.

I agree with you.

But pursueing white collar criminals through the courts will cost the tax payer millions. It is also expensive to keep these guys in jail.

Better regulation and more leglislation will prevent more Anglo's from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Our tax would be going somewhere usefull!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Look once your rent is paid with the rent allowance what do you need. €100 is more than enough.

Say €40 on food = shop in supermarket buy the valu labels this would overfill a trolley.

I have been in dole queues recently and have had to endure people bragging about being "on the swindle" and "being away on holidays for a few weeks".

Well logically people who are "on the swindle" are not living on just dole money. Those who find themselves genuinely suddenly dependent on the dole will need every cent to survive. Report the swindlers and don't begrudge the genuine recipients.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

are you out of your fkn mind? what about petrol, tax and insurance? what about loan repayments? what about phone bills? 20 euros on heating and electricity? howdya manage that- shove a match in the meter wheel to stop it spinning? rent ??? what about mortgages that aren't fully covered by relief? and then think of the joy of geting an extra 26 a week per child? whoopee fkn doo. that'll buy a whole pile of napies and baby food alright. cop the fk on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

This was like watching an episode of the 3 stooges.They were obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel when they asked them 3 on. Says a lot about them that they all able to appear at short notice when the interview with O Searcaigh was cancelled.

The last time I saw dunphy crying was when he was pregnant with Johnny Giles's baby & as for Harris - he should get a part in Joseph and his technicoulour dreamcoat - he has been red, green, orange you name it he has supported it at some time in his illustriuous politic life.

As for Watters ??? The three of them really mad up the "B" team on Friday Night

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Daroxtar wrote: »
    what about petrol, tax and insurance?

Use public transport, if possible.
    what about loan repayments?

Is your loan the taxpayer's reponsibility?
    what about phone bills?

Use pre-pay or better yet, ditch the mobile.
    20 euros on heating and electricity?

You'd have more for both if less was spent elsewhere.
    rent ???

Rent allowance.

Just how do you suppose the people in Northern Ireland survive with £60 per week?

The point here is that the taxpayer shouldn't be expected to offer the unemployed the same luxuries that they could afford when employed. It's simply unjustifiable.

The dole should be a temporary measure to help people out with the bare necessities while they seek employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Soldie wrote: »

Rent allowance.

Just how do you suppose the people in Northern Ireland survive with £60 per week?

The point here is that the taxpayer shouldn't be expected to offer the unemployed the same luxuries that they could afford when employed. It's simply unjustifiable.

The dole should be a temporary measure to help people out with the bare necessities while they seek employment.

You are talking through your hoop. Get rid of the phone and actively job hunt? Heat, food and public transport are not luxuries.

The people in the north get a great deal more in terms of vouchers etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

You are talking through your hoop. Get rid of the phone and actively job hunt? Heat, food and public transport are not luxuries.

Then ditch the landline.

I didn't describe heating and food as luxuries - they're clearly necessities.

The point I'm making is that our dole of €204 euro per week excluding rent and child allowance is more than generous, and it ought to be reduced.

If the people in the North can survive on £60 (~€70) per week then I think it's safe to say that we can reduce our dole of €204 per week (which has risen each year, at a rate often exceeding that of inflation) without seeing people dying in the streets. Afterall, our cost-of-living is hardly three times higher than theirs, is it?

Perhaps people will have to get used to shopping in Lidl instead of Superquinn, and live without their luxuries of mobile phones, broadband, digital TV and otherwise.

Then ditch the landline.

I didn't describe heating and food as luxuries - they're clearly necessities.

The point I'm making is that our dole of €204 euro per week excluding rent and child allowance is more than generous, and it ought to be reduced.

If the people in the North can survive on £60 (~€70) per week then I think it's safe to say that we can reduce our dole of €204 per week (which has risen each year, at a rate often exceeding that of inflation) without seeing people dying in the streets. Afterall, our cost-of-living is hardly three times higher than theirs, is it?

Perhaps people will have to get used to shopping in Lidl instead of Superquinn, and live without their luxuries of mobile phones, broadband, digital TV and otherwise.

Hello,

I have to agree.

Plus consider this there are free phones and job seeking resources at every fás office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Have you ever heard of the DLA (derry living allowance ;), if you have the dole at a very low rate suddenly everybody develops depression etc and gets another claim. The dole is quiet good down here but all that would happen if they lowered it would be that wages would go down for all the lower end work

Sounds like a sponger mentality to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Eamon crying? He's on 300k a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Rent allowance.

1/ i live in rural meath. NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT.
    2/ loan taken out to cover medical expenses- a proper health service would have negated that. not the taxpayers fault, the governments.
    3/alredy on pre-pay. 8 month waiting list for a landline( not to mention extra expense of having it installed) maybe i should leave my contact address as the local morse code/ pigeon mail station while i'm trying to get a job.
    4/ maybe i would have more if i spent less elsewhere. but considering i already shop in lidl, i dont drink or smoke or go out anymore, i dont have digital tv and its fkn freezing so i need to turn the gas on once in a while to keep my heavily pregnant wife warm. thats not luxury, thats necessity. i think that comment is prejudicial, sanctimonious, shallow, pathetic, out of touch, arrogant and the absolute height of ignorance.
    are you a politician?
    5/ I have never been on the dole in my life before now. thats 17 years of paying tax and prsi to keep long term wasters and dossers on the dole and even bigger wasters and dossers in the dail. now i find that after all my contributions i am entitled to----wait for it---- the same as them even though they have given nothing, only taken out. I WAS THE TAXPAYER so my rate should reflect that yet i get 204 because my wife works part time, which excludes us from mortgage/rent allowance and parasites who never did a tap all their life get more. you should get back relevant to what you put in.
    6/ i went shopping in the north at the weekend and their cost of living going by the prices i saw is about half of what it is here, but apart from that its a different bloody country so how they survive is of no relevance or comparison. why not give poles on the dole 30 euro a week by the same logic? lets give philipinos 20 while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

1/ i live in rural meath. NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT.
    2/ loan taken out to cover medical expenses- a proper health service would have negated that. not the taxpayers fault, the governments.
    3/alredy on pre-pay. 8 month waiting list for a landline( not to mention extra expense of having it installed) maybe i should leave my contact address as the local morse code/ pigeon mail station while i'm trying to get a job.
    4/ maybe i would have more if i spent less elsewhere. but considering i already shop in lidl, i dont drink or smoke or go out anymore, i dont have digital tv and its fkn freezing so i need to turn the gas on once in a while to keep my heavily pregnant wife warm. thats not luxury, thats necessity. i think that comment is prejudicial, sanctimonious, shallow, pathetic, out of touch, arrogant and the absolute height of ignorance.
    are you a politician?
    5/ I have never been on the dole in my life before now. thats 17 years of paying tax and prsi to keep long term wasters and dossers on the dole and even bigger wasters and dossers in the dail. now i find that after all my contributions i am entitled to----wait for it---- the same as them even though they have given nothing, only taken out. I WAS THE TAXPAYER so my rate should reflect that yet i get 204 because my wife works part time, which excludes us from mortgage/rent allowance and parasites who never did a tap all their life get more. you should get back relevant to what you put in.
    6/ i went shopping in the north at the weekend and their cost of living going by the prices i saw is about half of what it is here, but apart from that its a different bloody country so how they survive is of no relevance or comparison. why not give poles on the dole 30 euro a week by the same logic? lets give philipinos 20 while we're at it.

the north eastern 6 countys of ireland are a different country....? are you for real.

it is cheaper in the Occupied territory but it is not different country it is under british control now. all that aside i agree with most of what you said.

these people who want to take from the people who have least in society are the ones who i bet are either on inflated unjustified salarys or are plain ignorant of the facts.these are the ones who benefitted most from the celtic tiger and never realise the celtic tiger never reached places like but not limited to, Coolock, Finglas, Ballymun, Tallaght, Crumlin, Dolphins Barn, and the lsit goes on, go to these areas and see if the celtic tiger profited them any,

while all the rich fat cats were living it up these people were scraping by just survivng. and life goes on and nobody is accountable, why am i suprised it is Corrupt Ireland.

200 euro in this day and age is practicly useless, it is the amount of money most of these clowns asking for it to be reduced would spend on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

SOH32 wrote: »
    But am I alone in thinking that the media are over playing the negatiivity, hyping up the bust as much as they hyped up the 'boom'. very little constructive commentary.
    Quite the opposite, The media have yet to see the real impact, they are still trying to catch up with everyday events of this recession and trying to put the pieces together. It is those in Leinster house and their supports like Eoghan Harris that have "5 second goldfish memory" and "Donkey Blinkers" on them that refuse the see the large effect of this recession. The same group that refuse to see that Lisbon Treaty was going to Fail (They Forgot what happen with the NICE Treaty) and expect people to blindly do what they say (like Brian Cowen). They refuse to see that Social Welfare offices are getting packed with queues not seen since the 80's. He refuse to see that more people now leaving Ireland that entering.
    The Industries and Shops here are closing in similar pattern throughout the world. (exception of Aldi and Lidl which are expanding due to their lost cost products)
    Early Last Year when Bettie Ahern was complaining that the media here were negative on the Irish economy, and this was before the Credit-Crunch (sub-prime mortgage ). He did it again after the effects of the Credit-Crunch became known. It was not difficult to see that events throughout the world would effect us in this globalize economy, where money is transfer around the world in less than a few seconds.

If Politicians like Eoghan Harris is running the Country expect the 2nd Great Depression.

I do hope we pull out of this recession soon.

TomRooney wrote: »
    it is cheaper in the Occupied territory but it is not different country it is under british control now
    We are all in Europe. We can move freely within Europe. It is time to move beyond the notion of occupied territories.
    while all the rich fat cats were living it up
    I dont think the rich "fat cats" are costing the taxpayer €300 million a week in social welfare.

In my opinion they are weak people at both ends of the spectrum, unregulated bankers abusing their power and other side people that plan to spend there lives on the dole complaining about a lack of opportunities while not availing of free training programmes etc
    200 euro in this day and age is practicly useless
    Get real I could fill 5 trolleys with food with 200 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the north eastern 6 countys of ireland are a different country....? are you for real.

different currency, different Government, different legal system....I dunno man, his story seems to check out! :rolleyes:

why not give poles on the dole 30 euro a week by the same logic? lets give philipinos 20 while we're at it.

Its not fair to blame the recession on recent arrivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Maybe, but not in Ireland.

Tbh, I don't really want to hear what Eoghan Harris, Dunphy, Waters, Hook and all these self proclaimed experts have to say anymore. Fact is, they're not going to be affacted in the slightest by the recession.

When discussing the recession, include the people who it's going to effect directly as guests. Let them sit down bside Pat and stare him in the face.

tbh wrote: »
    different currency, different Government, different legal system....I dunno man, his story seems to check out! :rolleyes:

enforced currency, enforced government, enforced legal system, none of which is done democraticly but enforced on the irish people in the 6 countys, or do you suppose these irish men in the 6 countys are less irish than you with less right to call there homeland ireland, just because they live behind a british imposed border...?

Its not fair to blame the recession on recent arrivals.

recent arrivals are not responsible for the current recession, but there ongoing large presence exacerbates the situation and puts a large drain on our finances.

the Gombeens in Lienster house are directly responsible and should be held accountable. we the people must tighten our belts while ju ju lips cowen gets 330,000 euro per year for 152 days work a year. this is not right. the president of the USA is not even on half of this money.

We are all in Europe. We can move freely within Europe. It is time to move beyond the notion of occupied territories.

I dont think the rich "fat cats" are costing the taxpayer €300 million a week in social welfare.

In my opinion they are weak people at both ends of the spectrum, unregulated bankers abusing their power and other side people that plan to spend there lives on the dole complaining about a lack of opportunities while not availing of free training programmes etc

1)
    mr myagi, europe is irrelevant to me, while there is a foreign nation claiming jurisdiction over any part of ireland there will always be issue.

may i inquire as to where your homeland is...?

2)
    no im sure there not, it would be more like 300 billion euro in corruption and mishandling of our economy.

3) the people who just dont want to work are certainly in the small minority, whereas corrupt bankers are endemic, almost all big business is corrupted and controlled by certain cliques and syndicates all hand in hand with the political dynastys that exist in this nation.

4)
    i seriously doubt that unless you travel to africa with your 5 trolleys, i shop in lidl and i spend 100 euro on bare basics per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

enforced currency, enforced government, enforced legal system, none of which is done democraticly but enforced on the irish people in the 6 countys, or do you suppose these irish men in the 6 countys are less irish than you with less right to call there homeland ireland, just because they live behind a british imposed border...?

how about the Euro? Any less enforced? Enforced Government? They have a vote, same as I do. Or the legal system? that's not enforced in Ireland? If I want to smoke dope, can i?

The men in the six counties can call themselves British, Irish, Welsh, Pakistani, whatever they want. Doesn't change a thing, something they have in common with six billion other people in the world.

• Advertisement

europe is irrelevant to me
    If we hadnt joined Europe wed have 3 industries fishing, farming and tourism and look how badly they are going at the minute
    may i inquire as to where your homeland is...?
    I am Irish but I believe in learning from the past not living there.
    Look Ireland is a tiny country on the periphary of Europe. We need to engage with others if we want to survive. Issolation has done alot for North Korea:rolleyes:
    300 billion euro in corruption
    The bankers / fat cats are weak and will pursue profit in unethical practices in the absence of proper regulation
    people who just dont want to work are certainly in the small minority
    Yeah maybe 49%. Have you ever signed on a good share of the people have no interest in working
    political dynastys that exist in this nation
    This isnt zimbabwe we vote for our political leaders. I voted for the opposition last time. But most people fell for Bertie's brand of celtic tiger narriation.
    i seriously doubt that unless you travel to africa with your 5 trolleys
    Not a problem. I can easily fill a trolley for €40. Shop around buy in bulk. The supermarket isnt always the best place to buy veg etc. Alot of the supermarkets have buy one get one free offers etc

Advertisement