Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange cats in cat flap

Options
  • 07-02-2009 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi we keep getting neighbours cats coming through our cat flap.
    They come in and eat the food, and have started to 'mark' the house as their territory if you no what I mean. The cats arnt strays and dont need the food. So does anyone know how to help keep the stray cats out while letting our cats in ,without spending a fortune?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can buy a remote-controlled flap. You fit the transmitter on your cat's collar. The flap will not open otherwise.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've got an infra-red cat flap for my cats, as I had the same problem, but if I would get one of the magnetic ones instead in future, as the collar tags are much, much cheaper and my cats have lost one collar each at this stage! My male cat manages to lose his collar within days of putting one on, so I've given up with him altogether - luckily he's very smart and has figured out how to open the flap from the outside!

You can get good deals on the spare collars on ebay, but I think they're not so good for the whole set up due to the postage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chezzabelle

Hey :) as esel said there is a cat flap that only lets your cat in, I have seen them in my vets, dont know if you could find them cheaper online somewhere? This would be the best thing I think, hope you get your problem sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Or you can sit and wait with a loaded water pistol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Magnetic cat-flap is great as it only works if the magnet touches the flap, think they're about €30 in Argos. You get 2 or 3 magnet you just thread them onto cats normal collar. It can also be locked to only let cat out not back in, or to let cat in and not back out(handy at night if you like cats in), and locked both ways.
    We had 2 now over last 7 years and only problem was the dopey cat standing with his tail in the flap holding it open, while stray pushed it and got in.
    I did do the water pistol thing few times and but stray just disappeared.
    In my experience it was well worth it.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

If you want to splash the cash there are also catflaps that can be keyed to read your cats RFID chip & only allow them in ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

You could also hire a bouncer, get him to check ID's as they come and go this way the cats could bring back some mates! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

cheaper option - put the food away as soon as your cats are done with it. the visiting cats won't be as tempted if they know there's no food about. if that doesn't work then water cannon/fancy cat flap's are go :D

Advertisement