Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desktop Environment....

• 07-02-2009 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Which one and why?

Personally, I use Xfce... First because when I first started looking into the Linux world, I was pointed to ubuntu like all n00b's. Since I had a bit of a crappy laptop at the time, I wanted something a bit lightweight, but still idiotproof, so I found Xubuntu.

It's light, reasonably customiseable and IMHO, looks better the Gnome or KDE. It can do composition, but has none of the excesses of Gnome or KDE. I don't like that. Especially Gnome's jelly windows which are pretty irritating.

So, despite haveing a more powerful PC, I'm still using Xfce and Xubuntu.... because I like it. It snappy, to the point, and gives me exactly what I click. It's not always as user friendly as Gnome... but it's alright enough to muck around with, and you can end up with something that looks pretty nice, pretty crisp, and very clean.

Apologies for the 6 options being a bit limited... I just plucked them from the top of my head...

Which do you prefer 38 votes

Gnome
    0% 0 votes
    KDE
    63% 24 votes
    Xfce
    26% 10 votes
    Fluxbox
    2% 1 vote
    Enlightenment
    7% 3 votes
    Other.....
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 category

I use whatever is small and simple. fluxbox right now.

In general, I only run two programs via my desktop environment: a terminal emulator and a browser.

So anything with virtual terminals, minimal eye-candy, and simple-to-configure keyboard shortcuts suits me just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Dartz wrote: »
    Especially Gnome's jelly windows which are pretty irritating

Eh... that's disabled at a click of a tickbox, Ted.

I've gone through every DE/WM on that list at one point or another, currently mostly using Gnome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I voted for Gnome because that's what I use on my main PC. But multiple answers should be allowed because it really depends on the purpose of the box. My HTPC has XFCE, I'm rebuilding my netbook this weekend and I'm going to use flux. And on servers the answer is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Macros42 wrote: »
    I voted for Gnome because that's what I use on my main PC. But multiple answers should be allowed because it really depends on the purpose of the box. My HTPC has XFCE, I'm rebuilding my netbook this weekend and I'm going to use flux. And on servers the answer is none.

+1,
    it really depends on the pc. I also prefer gnome but I've got the power to run it with compiz effects on my main pc. I've also used Kde and Xfce on laptops and eeePC but i find them very basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Sorry about that, I forgot to check the box if you'll believe that.

I'm still not a fan of Gnome though, even with the desktop effects turned off, it still feels very.... unstraightforward. Despite what it's supposed to be, it still feels very busy. I find it very unpallatable and I can never quite figure out why.

It might be a stupid thing to say, but I really just dont like it.

• Advertisement

Not a stupid thing to say at all - horses for courses. I don't like KDE, other people do. It's all about choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Macros42 wrote: »
    Not a stupid thing to say at all - horses for courses. I don't like KDE, other people do. It's all about choice.

......and kde looks like Windows 7, enough said......

/runs for cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

No need to run for cover! :)

There is a clear resemblance between Windows 7 and KDE. KDE had some resemblance to Windows from the beginning with the position of the K menu in place of where a Windows user would find the Start menu.

And it's stayed that way since those early days but, needless to say, it's all configurable can be hacked to taste.

Liking KDE, and even 4.2. Use Gnome fairly often as well. Both are very usable and good to look at. More drawn to the K kamp, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Gnome on desktop. xfce on my eee pc.

The K in KDE stands for Krap. They have made it too much like windows

ethernet wrote: »
    No need to run for cover! :)

I think he was referring to this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Openbox, wanted something different.

It doesn't make much of a difference. So long as I get my applications and preferences set up quickly, the way I want them, I'm happy enough.

Tried Gnome and KDE and there was just too much I didn't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Gnome on any desktop I've used. Can't comment on the rest (bar KDE, which is indeed Krap as someone said :) ) as I've never really used them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Gnome on OpenSolaris
    4dwm/IRIX Interactive Desktop (Indigo Magic) on Irix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I like minimalistic window managers. Fluxbox is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I use Xmonad, it's Haskell based and has a tiling function/dynamic window rearrangement ability. Saves time faffing around with the mouse:pac:

A mighty ++ from me.

Is that like Ratpoison?

I tried that but I found it hard to use with more than a few things going. Keyboard jumping between windows got a bit tiring for me, and I gave up on it before getting into it's groove....

But I do see the point, it was faster than a granny late for bingo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Enlightenment looks lovely, going by what I've used of it in the elive distro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Openbox on netbook and gnome on server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dartz wrote: »
    Is that like Ratpoison?

I tried that but I found it hard to use with more than a few things going. Keyboard jumping between windows got a bit tiring for me, and I gave up on it before getting into it's groove....

But I do see the point, it was faster than a granny late for bingo

Yep, just more up to date at present.
    It does take a bit of getting used to I have to admit.
    Once you learn the Mod + <key> combinations, it's very nice to use.

I also like screen for the console aswell, but I don't use it that much lately.
    Choice is a good thing:D

Heh... Only time I ever use a bare console is if I've broken X (or my entire computer) somehow and am trying to figure out how to fix it. It's happened three times so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement