Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Even if GOD exists it doesnt mean we have an immortal soul

• 07-02-2009 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Alot of great thinkers and philosophers that believe in the existance of God use the argument that the universe could not have created itself becuase nothing cant create something therefore there has to be an intellegent being at work now I would like to ask even if this is the truth this doesn't answer the most important question which is do we have an immortal soul? is there life after death

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 category

there has to be an intellegent being at work now I would like to ask even if this is the truth this doesn't answer the most important question which is do we have an immortal soul?
    Since you're posting on the Christianity forum, I presume that you want the Christian answer to this? Christians would just say yes, of course there is. Says so in all those revelations from God.

If you're asking in a more general, philsophical sense (which is implied by the framing of your question), there is some interesting philosophy of religion focusing on the idea of an immortal soul. However, it doesn't make a great deal of sense to discuss this idea outside some kind of religious framework.

One thing worth pondering is from an anthropological/sociological point of view: most human beings who have ever lived appeared to believe in some kind of life after death. Majority belief in no way implies true belief, but it is interesting to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

No, the existence of God does not mean we must have an immortal soul.

As a Christian I believe that an immortal soul is a gift given only to those who believe in Jesus Christ, as part of the spiritual rebirth. I don't think that everyone's soul is "naturally" immortal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 category

Húrin wrote: »
    As a Christian I believe that an immortal soul is a gift given only to those who believe in Jesus Christ, as part of the spiritual rebirth. I don't think that everyone's soul is "naturally" immortal.
    Oh. I thought generally-accepted Christian doctrine holds that the soul itself is immortal - that the question is where (for want of a better word) the soul ends up after the death of the body.

Are there strands of Christian thought that believe the soul after death is annihilated apart from God?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

category wrote: »
    Oh. I thought generally-accepted Christian doctrine holds that the soul itself is immortal - that the question is where (for want of a better word) the soul ends up after the death of the body.

Are there strands of Christian thought that believe the soul after death is annihilated apart from God?

The 'immortal soul' is a common doctrine in most of orthodox Christianity as far as I'm aware. I'm a christian myself, but I don't believe it to be a correct doctrine. There is only one 'immortal' being and that is God. He's the only being that can say 'I will proove to be what I will prove to be', which is what his name YHWH (Yehowah, Yahweh) means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

According to the Jewish historian Josephus, only one of the 3 Jewish schools believed themselves to have an immortal soul in the same way as christians do. The Pharisees believed that every soul was imperishable, but only souls of good men passed into other bodies, souls of bad men being subjected to eternal punishment. The Sadduces believed in free will but the permenance of the soul, punishments in hades, and rewards they denied utterly.

The third group the Essenes had the "most unshakeable conviction" that bodies are corruptable and the soul remains immortal forever.
    Teaching the same doctrine as the sons of Greece, they declare that for the good souls there waits a home beond the ocean, a place troubled by neither rain nor snow nor heat, but refreshed by a zephyr that blows gentle from the ocean.

He goes on to say ...
    This then is the religious teaching of the Essenes about the soul, providing an inexcapable inducemant to those have once tasted their wisdom

(the Jewish War)

It has been argued that Jesus himself was an Essene and looking at some of the accounts of the gosples and comparing them to the day to day pastimes of the Essenes it makes a convincing argument. Perhaps this then is where the notion of the immortal soul in Christanity has it's roots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It certainly does not follow that because God exists then man must have an immortal soul.

I believe that we have an immortal spirit & soul because of the revelation of Scripture.

Advertisement