Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Interviews?

Options
  • 07-02-2009 6:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

I applied to DIT for next Fall. Do Mature Students have to go through an interview process by any chance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Don't think so but it could differ from course to course - I'm in DT249, BSc in Computer Science and never had to do one to join the program a couple of years ago, neither did anyone else that I know in that course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi JohnMc,

I think it depends on your situation - if you're applying via CAO and you have the points, or Direct Entry as a mature student. Bob from the Mature Student Office looks at boards quite a bit, so I'll ask him to respond. Or you can contact him directly at ms.info(at)dit.ie

Best of luck:)

Just noticed you're based in Woodside. My brother used live there, and I spent some great summers/xmas's hanging out in woodside Irish bars! Hope it's not too cold over there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Thanks guys.

Campuslife. The weather is actually nice here atm. The bars are nice. I'm close to the Coocoo's Nest and Sean Og's [Not sure if you know any of them by name] I watched the Leinster match at the Nest and had a nice lunch out [I should have done that yesterday instead of trying to watch the match online in vain :(]It was in the 60s today and might be in the 50s during the week. I'm dreading flying back on Sunday to the rain and the snow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi JohnMc1,

I used to live in Woodside myself! 3 years on 64th st :P

There's no set answer to your question, although for full-time programs (I note that J-blk is doing a part-time program), there is typically an interview involved. This is because DIT doesn't allocate places to Mature Students based on Leaving Cert results or a points system, but rather on a combination of your previous work experience, any further studies you may have completed after leaving secondary school and your personal statement (which you should have filled out as part of your CAO application).

Based on the above factors, you may be called for an interview - these typically take place in March/April. You may then be offered a place on your chosen course based on the interview coupled with the previously mentioned factors. In some cases, students with an excellent educational background or extensive high-level (and relevant) experience may be offered a place on a course without an interview, but this would be the exception rather than the rule.

All of this information applies if you have applied to study a full-time course. If you have applied to study a part-time course, as J-blk stated, there usually isn't an interview involved.

If you need more information, just drop me a line at ms.info(at)dit.ie!

Bob

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your response. I'm on 63rd Street atm. Small world. I had a feeling there would be an interview. I'll be back in Ireland next Monday so thankfully I'll be back in time for any interviews. Are the interviews mandatory btw? I know some schools it is and if you can't make it you're disqualified and some it isn't and you can mail in your qualifications if you cannot make the interview.
    Thanks again Bob.
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Small world indeed!

On the suject of mandatory interviews, I would be of the opinion that it would be best to do your utmost to attend the interview unless there are seriously mitigating circumstances. But if you're back at home by Monday, you're home in plenty of time for any interview that comes up.

You can always contact me at ms.info(at)dit.ie for more information regarding financing, study skills and more - http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/

Bob

ditmature wrote: »
    Small world indeed!

On the suject of mandatory interviews, I would be of the opinion that it would be best to do your utmost to attend the interview unless there are seriously mitigating circumstances. But if you're back at home by Monday, you're home in plenty of time for any interview that comes up.

You can always contact me at ms.info(at)dit.ie for more information regarding financing, study skills and more - http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/

Bob

Thanks again Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

ditmature wrote: »
    There's no set answer to your question, although for full-time programs (I note that J-blk is doing a part-time program), there is typically an interview involved.

Thanks for the informative post - I should have stated I'm in a part-time course in the first place, didn't really occur to me that the full time programs would differ. I'll have to keep it in mind in the future :).

Advertisement