Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamaican food, especially ackee

• 07-02-2009 7:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm just back from Jamaica, and loved the local cuisine over there. I was looking around and trying to find anywhere in Dublin that sells Jamaican foodstuffs like ackee, cassava, yam, breadfruit etc.

Does anyone know of any Jamaican/Caribbean food stores in town that might have these?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi Roach

There's a lady that used to sell canned ackee and calaloo as well as a range of Walkerswood and other brands of sauces, jerk seasoning and spices at the Coco market in Marlay park on Saturdays mornings and in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays. I'm not sure if she still does, but it's worth a shot as she had a great range of stuff.

I think there might be some speciality stores in town, but I'm not sure. You'd probably need to look around to find the fresh fruit and veg varieties... might be a little harder to track down.

We were in Negril a few years back and also fell in love with the local cuisine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

mikeruurds wrote: »
    Hi Roach

There's a lady that used to sell canned ackee and calaloo as well as a range of Walkerswood and other brands of sauces, jerk seasoning and spices at the Coco market in Marlay park on Saturdays mornings and in Dun Laoghaire on Sundays. I'm not sure if she still does, but it's worth a shot as she had a great range of stuff.

I think there might be some speciality stores in town, but I'm not sure. You'd probably need to look around to find the fresh fruit and veg varieties... might be a little harder to track down.

We were in Negril a few years back and also fell in love with the local cuisine.

That would have been my friend Jenny. I haven't seen her in a while so I don't know if she still does the markets but I've heard that she's moved out of Dublin. There's an email address at the end of that article that she can be contacted on. If you're not successful I'll try to contact a few of my Jamaican friends to find out where you can buy that stuff. It's so easy to buy Caribbean food in the UK but I guess there isn't as much demand for it here.

I could murder some Jamaican patties right about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Gyalist wrote: »

I haven't tried making these myself, but try this.

I'll try contacting Jenny at the website and see can she help. Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Gyalist wrote: »
    That would have been my friend Jenny. I haven't seen her in a while so I don't know if she still does the markets but I've heard that she's moved out of Dublin. There's an email address at the end of that article that she can be contacted on. If you're not successful I'll try to contact a few of my Jamaican friends to find out where you can buy that stuff. It's so easy to buy Caribbean food in the UK but I guess there isn't as much demand for it here.

That's a real shame. Jenny had some really lovely stuff. I bought a load the last time and was hoping to stock up soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vin.m

Just stumbled upon this thread looking for Caribbean food in Dublin.

I believe the Jenny you're talking about has taken up art and moved to Canada.

Shame really, Dublin/Ireland needs some Caribbean food options.

Has anyone discovered any since the last posting? Some Jamaican patties would hit the spot right about now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Roach

Not sure about Jamaican patties, but my wife an I have been getting a fair amount of stuff from the Eurasia store on the Fonthill Road.

They get most fruit and veg (Yam, Cassava, Beadfruit, all the hot peppers we need, and they also do a decent amount of canned products (ackee etc). They also have a ton of good spices and sauces, so if you have a look there you'll probably find something to satisfy the urge!

They also get Ting in there on rare occasions; our local Tesco also got it for a few weeks so we stocked up then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

So it's been another five years... Does anybody know any places in town that sell Caribbean food stuffs like Scotch Bonnets etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

kmfrob wrote: »
    So it's been another five years... Does anybody know any places in town that sell Caribbean food stuffs like Scotch Bonnets etc?

Mod note:I'm afraid this thread is just too old to revive so I'll close it. If you're looking for shops in Dublin then you're much more likely to get helpful replies in the Dublin City forum :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement