Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness in the UK - Red,Surger,440ml cans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Has anyone sampled the Guinness Red ? Thoughts, opinions ?
    How did you find it versus "proper" draught Guinness ?
    I tried it last year. It's only marginally more tasteless than draught Guinness. Review here.
    Anywhere in Ireland do Guinness Red or the Guinness Surge can and sonic plate ?
    Mercifully no. Why would anyone buy a product that becomes a brick once the special cans for it are no longer made? It's the same as that proprietary beer dispenser Carlsberg do. I had thought that Diageo had ceased making the surger altogether, but I could be wrong.
    They don't taste the same as our normal 500ml cans. They taste lighter and slightly sweeter.
    Have you tried tasting them blind? It can be quite revealing.
    I'm confused as to why they taste different if all Guinness comes from the Dublin brewery.
    Guinness, like pretty much all industrially-brewed beer, is brewed in high-gravity form and then watered down as required. The Guinness shipped to the UK is watered at a Diageo keggery over there. So if there is a difference it could be down to the English water being used. Though Diageo's process controls mean there should be no difference as they can adjust the water's chemical profile to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Was there not something lick this ayer ago or am I wrong
    BeerNut wrote: »
    So if there is a difference it could be down to the English water being used. Though Diageo's process controls mean there should be no difference as they can adjust the water's chemical profile to match.

I would be surprised if they did not use reverse osmosis water and re build it back to exactly the profile they need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I tried it last year. It's only marginally more tasteless than draught Guinness. Review here.

Good read, thank you. Interesting that you mentioned Kilkenny., a friend of mine was telling me just last night that Kilkenny is the brand that Smithwicks is sold under overseas - is this Guinness Red essentially just another attempt at that ?
    Mercifully no. Why would anyone buy a product that becomes a brick once the special cans for it are no longer made? It's the same as that proprietary beer dispenser Carlsberg do. I had thought that Diageo had ceased making the surger altogether, but I could be wrong.

Very good point, I am however intrigued by it. I think you could only buy the plate and cans in Tescos. Not sure if you still can though :confused:
    Have you tried tasting them blind? It can be quite revealing.

I haven't actually. I'm going to Scotland next week and I may buy Guinness in the airport - unfortunately due the liquid restrictions I can't bring any of these "UK" cans back.
    Guinness, like pretty much all industrially-brewed beer, is brewed in high-gravity form and then watered down as required. The Guinness shipped to the UK is watered at a Diageo keggery over there. So if there is a difference it could be down to the English water being used. Though Diageo's process controls mean there should be no difference as they can adjust the water's chemical profile to match.

Thank you for that :) It was bugging me for ages. I had a friend who worked in the Storehouse and he kept repeating to me "All guinness is brewed in Dublin for the UK market". He never mentioned anything about the watering.

Cheers :)

is this Guinness Red essentially just another attempt at that ?
    I don't think so -- you normally get a sweet crystal malt thing with Irish red, but there's none of that with Guinness Red. And I think Kilkenny is still on the UK market. If you're looking for a red ale you'd be disappointed. But if you were looking for a stout you'd be disappointed too.

AFAIK, they have started selling Smithwick's under its own name abroad now as well, in the US at least.
    Very good point, I am however intrigued by it.
    I understand it was invented for bars, where they didn't have the space for kegs, gas and lines. I suppose the novelty value prompted them to make a domestic version.
    "All guinness is brewed in Dublin for the UK market". He never mentioned anything about the watering.
    You mean... giant multinational corporations lie to us? :eek: You should ask him what the ingredients of Guinness are. Industrial brewers love that one.

You mean... giant multinational corporations lie to us? :eek: You should ask him what the ingredients of Guinness are. Industrial brewers love that one.

Thanks again for the response :)
    I'm only a casual drinker but I'm enjoying reading these, more erm, "specific" opinions.

Now, Re: ingredients of Guinness - are you telling me it's more than just "hops,barley,water and yeast" ?
    The Guinness Storehouse tour is dreadful I thought - it was free though - and the Guinness in the "Gravitiy Bar" was some of the worst I've ever tasted.

• Advertisement

are you telling me it's more than just "hops,barley,water and yeast"
    I couldn't possibly say. I'd imagine, however, that if they were the only ingredients this would be a selling point and they'd shout it from the rooftops. As is, I assume Guinness contains preservatives, foam enhancers, flavourings and colours which have nothing to do with the above mentioned ingredients. The point is that they refuse to tell us.

I'm told that, rather than buy specific varieties of hop, Guinness buy simply based on the chemical properties of what's on offer. Which is pretty much like a wine maker buying any old grape, because it's all just grapes, isn't it? Guinness: truly, the Blue Nun of beers.

Pardon my ignorance but is there not consumer laws that mean all ingredients have to be stated?

*stop me if you've had this conversation/debate before*

Pardon my ignorance but is there not consumer laws that mean all ingredients have to be stated?
    There is. It just doesn't apply to alcoholic beverages. I've never understood why that is.

Only drinking beer that tells you what the ingredients are is a fairly good rule of thumb for drinking, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I dunno if that's such an accurate guide either.
    Some beers list "Barley, Hops and Water" as the only ingredients.
    There's no chance of them brewing it without yeast, so what other ingredients have been mysteriously left off the bottle?

There is. It just doesn't apply to alcoholic beverages. I've never understood why that is.

Hmm... I smell a rat. I'm sure it's convenient for all parties involved to keep the ingredients list unkown to the public.

I heard something about a fish byproduct being used to make Guinness :confused:

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    There's no chance of them brewing it without yeast, so what other ingredients have been mysteriously left off the bottle?
    If the yeast is all filtered out, as is usually the case with factory-made beer, it doesn't count. Likewise with finings like isinglass (that fish byproduct): if it's not actually in the container at time of purchase it's not an ingredient.

I heard something about a fish byproduct being used to make Guinness :confused:

Its the fish swimbladder bladder;)

I just did a super fast search - is it similar to gelatine?

is it similar to gelatine?
    Any I've seen has been white and crystalline, like coarsely ground salt. And smells like the bottom of a trawler.

Sorry, I meant it serves a similar purpose as gelatine ?

It seems so. It's a clarifying agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

I understand it was invented for bars, where they didn't have the space for kegs, gas and lines. I suppose the novelty value prompted them to make a domestic version

Correct, specifically hotel bars and the like which have a smaller turnover of beer. It's quite common in small hotel bars in the US. There's a place in New England I frequent where I first saw it a couple of years ago.

Closer to home Eddie Rockets on Camden St. sell it :pac:

MediaTank wrote: »

Closer to home Eddie Rockets on Camden St. sell it :pac:

:eek: *runs off to get next bus to Camden St :eek:

It's a bit weird when Diageo spraff on endlessly about the importance of a two-part pour by a skilled barman, and then launch products which clearly demonstrate that it doesn't make a lick of difference to the final product: stick a plastic ball of compressed nitrogen in a can or run an electric current through the beer and you get (they say) the same effect. Major doublethink there.

Are you saying you'll get the same quality pour from a single pour ?

You left out the Draught glass bottles which have a "rocket" wedge. They're very expensive.:)

• Advertisement

:eek: *runs off to get next bus to Camden St :eek:

I know what you mean LOL

Of course. How could it possibly affect the flavour? It might look a bit different in the head region, but the beer underneath is going to be exactly the same.

The two-part pour is a marketing gimmick, dating back to the time when Guinness was actually mixed from two different barrels and serving it correctly involved real skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone remember the guinness 'draught' bottles with the syringe type thing that you sucked up some guinness and squirted it back through the beer in the glass.? It cane in a six pack with the syringe thing on top.

Anyone remember the guinness 'draught' bottles with the syringe type thing that you sucked up some guinness and squirted it back through the beer in the glass.? It cane in a six pack with the syringe thing on top.

Same idea as a sparkler and similar effect

Yep :)...

You left out the Draught glass bottles which have a "rocket" wedge. They're very expensive.:)

Sure do, it was first launched in Galway if my memory serves me correctly. Dublin was the last place you could buy it. I also remember everyone struggling to get a head on the beer - it didn't work if the glass was not bone dry for some reason.

"Irish" can of Guinness Draught vs. "English" can of Guinness Draught

I bought some cans in the airport and brought em to Glasgow with me...
    Bought some of these "UK" cans and have just done a blind taste test.

It wasn't totally even as one was colder than the other. The "Irish" can of guinness seemed flat. I was thinking this was because of the plane somehow? or the way I stored it. I left it in the fridge pack box at room temperature before putting in the fridge last night.

I'd have to concede though, all in all, taste-wise there's not much difference, if any. The UK cans were "BIGGER SIZE - FULLER GLASS" 530Mls.

Guinness Red
    Well I tried it and you were right... it's erm, tasteless. It just tasted like a standard bland beer. I got it in one of these knaff O'Neills pubs. They also had/have Smithwicks but when I was there it was off.
    They do Caffreys as well but I've never tried it and not too sure I want too... it looks like a glass of suds :p

It wasn't totally even as one was colder than the other. The "Irish" can of guinness seemed flat.
    Could be to do with the temperature and how it affects the gas when the pressure is released. But I don't know.

They do Caffreys as well but I've never tried it and not too sure I want too... it looks like a glass of suds :p
    Best to stay out of the Irish theme pubs when in Britain. With all that cask ale around it's positively sinful.

I will agree that there's a load of rubbish attached to Guinness and Diagio's marketing ways but the temperature definately affects taste. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse :)

With regards Irish themed pubs...
    If I'm in England I stay away from them usually with the exception of London where there's some decent pubs owned by Irish lads that just aul boys drink in, ie, not touristy as such . I'm in Glasgow which well, half of it is Irish safe and the other half you get fellas chanting "UP TO OUR NECKS IN FENIAN BLOOD". There's plenty of Guinness drinkers over here though so there's loads of places to get a good pint and there's a few bars with some Irish decor, not quite touristy but there's some of those...

There's a bar called Failté that has old irish newspaper for wallpaper and a really realy old Telafón phone box. They also have one of them green telephones shaped like Ireland behind the bar.

• Advertisement

There's a bar called Failté that has old irish newspaper for wallpaper and a really realy old Telafón phone box. They also have one of them green telephones shaped like Ireland behind the bar.
    Mmmm, lovely. Just the kind of thing you would never see in an actual Irish pub.

Advertisement