Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Reynolds back fighting for the Irish title

Options
  • 07-02-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Most people around the town will know Stephen and Alan Reynolds - the Irish boxing champions who have a day job as traffic wardens.

Well the 7 times Irish champion Alan is back fighting for his Irish title after three years out and won his fight last night in Dublin.

I hope he gets the support from Sligo people that he deserves.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2009/0206/iaba1.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

...wish him all the best..
    both lads were dominant in the amatuers at various times
    and a real credit to the region in there achievements and there
    behaviour so its good to see the Reynolds name back up in lights.
    good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

All the best Alan, hope you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Good Man Alan, knock the socks off them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Never heard of them.

But then I am not a townie. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well they are from Ballinacarrow.

I don't believe Alan to be a traffic warden , Block is but not Alan(he wasnt a few months ago anyway), as far as I know he is a government artist.

Best of luck to him all the same..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

slideways wrote: »
    Well they are from Ballinacarrow.

I don't believe Alan to be a traffic warden , Block is but not Alan(he wasnt a few months ago anyway), as far as I know he is a government artist.

Best of luck to him all the same..

I am not sure he is a "government artist" - I know that he and his brother do a lot of good work training kids and keeping them of the streets of an evening!

Quick update on Alan's progress he won his first fight on points by a wide margin and proceeded to the quarter finals where he stopped his opponent in the third round.

He now goes through to the national semi-finals next weekend!! Great news!!!

The other member of the St. Josephs club, Thomas Roohan lost on points in his first fight against Thomas McCarthy from the Oliver Plunkett club. Thats no disgrace as McCarthy won a silver medal in the Youth world championships last year.

Go on Alan!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No idea who he is as I don't really follow sports but if you're reading this, Alan, best of luck and give 'em hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

All the best Alan!!!

after the slagging that the Weekender has got on here recently, at least they saw fit to do an article on Alan! Fair play!http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqleyqlcw&cat=sport

Alan stopped his next opponent, the Ulster champion, John Sweeney, in the third round of his semi and is through to the finals next weekend which is libe on RTE!!

http://www.iaba.ie/boxing/Main/2009_Elite_Semis_Sat14th.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reynolds246

did anyone see the reynolds fight....sweetcheeks are you a news correspondant watching reynolds or just a fan.
    what was the fight like

did anyone see the reynolds fight....sweetcheeks are you a news correspondant watching reynolds or just a fan.
    what was the fight like

Purely a fan, although I did contact all of the journalists at the Champion/Post and Weekender and urge them to do a story on Alan's return.I haven't seen any of his fights yet but I've spoken to a couple of people that were at the fights and they said he is looking better and better with each fight. Some said that he doesn't look like he warms up enough and starts sluggish but comes good in the end.I've seen Sheehan fight a few times and he is a quality operator - however, I reckon that Reynolds has enough to beat him. He should fight in the EU championship and if he medals turn pro - I never understood why they didn't turn pro years ago. I did hear about Stephen (maybe it was Alan) going Chicago to see a promoter but nothing came of it.With a sign in name like yours you must know them (or are one of them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sweet cheeks - are you Alan Reynolds??? / Joke

Best of luck Alan! I will definitely be watching the fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm Alan Reynolds.

I mean, good luck to Alan. (Which traffic warden is he? Keep it clean please!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I'm Alan Reynolds.

I mean, good luck to Alan. (Which traffic warden is he? Keep it clean please!)

The one who:
    If you saw him giving you a ticket and you were about to complain, you would instead ask for a second one for luck! :)
    Or is that his brother ;)

Best of luck Alan! I will definitely be watching the fight!

nah, I doubt either of them even know who I am. I just like boxing, mostly professional boxing but still have to admire this achievement. If this was a tennis player, rugby player or track athlete then it would be on the front page of the Sligo papers - I guess boxing is just too damn working class for these journo's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 reynolds246

Purely a fan, although I did contact all of the journalists at the Champion/Post and Weekender and urge them to do a story on Alan's return.I haven't seen any of his fights yet but I've spoken to a couple of people that were at the fights and they said he is looking better and better with each fight. Some said that he doesn't look like he warms up enough and starts sluggish but comes good in the end.I've seen Sheehan fight a few times and he is a quality operator - however, I reckon that Reynolds has enough to beat him. He should fight in the EU championship and if he medals turn pro - I never understood why they didn't turn pro years ago. I did hear about Stephen (maybe it was Alan) going Chicago to see a promoter but nothing came of it.With a sign in name like yours you must know them (or are one of them!).
    i dont know them buh a few years ago i pretended they were me brodders to get out of a fight and then started to take interst in the boxing scene..i see one of dem in town working,hes da warden i hear he dosnt hand the tickets out dho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

i dont know them buh a few years ago i pretended they were me brodders to get out of a fight and then started to take interst in the boxing scene..i see one of dem in town working,hes da warden i hear he dosnt hand the tickets out dho
    http://www.iespell.com/

slideways wrote: »

you are suppose to read it not correct it! Its not like its the leaving cert :cool:

here is the latest update http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlojmhau&cat=sport

its live on RTE on Friday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

In fairness it's not the easiest post to understand.Text speak is highly discouraged but I'm not sure if that even qualifies as text speak.

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    In fairness it's not the easiest post to understand.Text speak is highly discouraged but I'm not sure if that even qualifies as text speak.

quite the drop in vocabulary in the space of two posts:rolleyes:

reynolds246did anyone see the reynolds fight....sweetcheeks are you a news correspondant watching reynolds or just a fan.
    what was the fight like

Huh?:confused: You've lost me!

Huh?:confused: You've lost me!

sorry bob...was just comparing the spelling between the posts
    in this thread by previous poster.

Oh I noticed that too but I thought you were referring to me because you quoted my post.
    I wish Alan the best of luck.I remember hearing a lot about him years ago but nothing for ages.
    Best of Luck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This is "text speak"? I thought it was a quote from "Roots". I'm really not down wi da kidz no moah.

dardevle wrote: »
    quite the drop in vocabulary in the space of two posts:rolleyes:

reynolds246did anyone see the reynolds fight....sweetcheeks are you a news correspondant watching reynolds or just a fan.
    what was the fight like

I'm strictly a fan of boxing - I've meet the Reynolds brothers briefly in a club a couple of years ago and I have seen Alan fight for about three or four years - but he has been off the elite scene for that length of time.I think the two boys were doing some white collar boxing stuff - I'm not a fan of that but if gets people boxing and aware of what level of skill, stamina, determination and fitness it takes to be an elite amateur or a professional then I suppose its a good thing as long as no one get hurt.The Reynolds might look like big lumps but they come across well on TV and have a personality, which if they did decide to turn pro would count for a lot. I remember there was a four nations tournament in the UK about five years ago and the BBC had a half hour programme ever night on the progress and by the end of it it was becoming The Reynolds Show with the amount of time that they were edited into it because they were really the only ones that had the confidence (and possibly the ability) the engage the camera.Thankfully the Irish Star are giving the elite finals some decent coverage - makes a difference that a paper gives the sport coverage as its usually sailing, Leinster schools rugby and cricket - sheesh!Anyway we have one of our very own fighting for a national title in the most prestigious weight category (heavyweight) of the elite division of the amateur sport in a country that picked up three medals in the sport in at the Olympics and its going to be covered live on national television - its probably as good as it gets apart from a European (EBU), world (AIBA) or Olympic final.I'm excited and delighted about it (can't you tell?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I trained for the White Collar Boxing last summer with them for a few months. I chickened out of the fight night in the end as I didn’t put enough training in so I was getting killed by the end of the second round. The lads in the club are super coaches Stephen (traffic warden) was the main coach and really knew what he was doing. Every session was different and you worked every muscle every night. The lads trained under Mercedes Taff who has massive respect in the Irish boxing scene so a lot of her drills are passed on. If anyone is thinking of doing it I would highly recommend it.

Big article of him in the Sligo Champion,didn't read it though(I'm far to lazy):P

Big article of him in the Sligo Champion,didn't read it though(I'm far to lazy):P

excellent - the Weekender and the Champion - just waiting on the Post as well but he said he would do something. Just goes to show what a little prompting can do.Fair play to the weekender though, they were on the ball before the others.

• Advertisement

excellent - the Weekender and the Champion - just waiting on the Post as well but he said he would do something. Just goes to show what a little prompting can do.Fair play to the weekender though, they were on the ball before the others.

It is the paper that is issued first though,the Champion were hardly going to have their article on show on Monday just to be in there before the Weekender.
    Hope he does well though,knock 'em dead Alan!(not literally)

Advertisement