Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy? - Troublegum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was blown away by Troublegum when it was released. They played in the Theatre Royal in Limerick when touring the album, and it was awesome live.

Defo their best album by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

that gig in the theatre royal was great....i had my first few cans of scrumpy jack beforehand under sarsfield bridge. kerbdog were the support on the night, impressed by them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was in Leisureland in Galway when they played there that year as well. I assume it was the same tour as Kerbdog were there as well. There was also a third band on the bill who for the life of me I can't remember :mad:.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

great album,pity they dont gig as much any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

that gig in the theatre royal was great....i had my first few cans of scrumpy jack beforehand under sarsfield bridge. kerbdog were the support on the night, impressed by them too.

Saw them in the Stables Club in UL back in 1990 or 91. The local punk rockers were calling them Melody at the time. Think there was only about 30 of us there. Great nite tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Damn I could have had a few cans with you :) Loved scrumpy Jack before heading to gigs at the Theatre Royal and to the original Termights. Although I tended to have a few cans at the side of Sarsfield Bridge across from the city side.

Kerbdog. Now that is a blast from the past. Themselves and the Cranberries were regulars at the free gig at three every Saturday at the Savoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Great band up to a point. Never really liked anything after Troublegum. Must have seen them 5 or 6 times back in the day and they always rocked. I remember one gig in particular in Belfast where Cop Shoot Cop shared the bill- that was awesome, they covered "Alternative Ulster" and the place went beserk. I must look for that "Merry Fcuking Christmas" split single where they did the U2 covers, must be knocking round the house somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Great album. Haven't spun it in a long time, must dig it out. They were patchy afterwards but Suicide Pact was bloody good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Just a note, there's an alternate video done by Therapy, the video quality is kinda lousy as it's only ever been aired on MTV once. It's a fairly twisted video, due to those who may have a nervous disposition, i will refrain from posting up the link, but if you type in therapy banned isolation into youtube, you'll find it.

It was aired on Headbangers Ball in 1994 at around 1.55 just before the show went off, as Michael and Andy were guest presenters.

Troublegum was a letdown for me I have to say, I loved the earlier stuff, Babyteeth and Pleasure Death etc. It was tame by comparison to Nurse although looking back, it's aged well. If you like Therapy? though you'll avoid Infernal Love and keep listening from Semi Detatched onwards. In fact the Music Through A Cheap Transistor radio sessions are worth checking out too. :)

Kess73 wrote: »

Kerbdog. Now that is a blast from the past. Themselves and the Cranberries were regulars at the free gig at three every Saturday at the Savoy.

Saw them support Therapy? on the second night of their two SFX gigs in 1993 in support of the Opal Mantra EP. Cop Shoot Cop had suppored them the first night (and were supposed to have supported them the second too), so i got a really nice surprise with that as i'd seen them on Alternative Nation mere weeks beforehand with the video to End Of Green.

To bad everything they did after their debut album was utter rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Nurse was the album that got me into them. Loved the earlier stuff, and Troublegum when it came out, from being in Dublin in my first year of college and dropping down to HMV grafton street for the launch to the rather dubious performance of "Nowhere" on the The Word where the lads could barely play ! Been looking for a copy of "Pantapon Rose" which was a B-side on one of the singles (perhaps trigger inside). Like most, Infernal love didn't grab me the same way, but it grew on me and ultimately ended up as one of my favourites. To this day I don't know why. I remember seeing them gig at xmas 95 in the point depot with Mexican Pets, Joyrider and Ash as support. Amazing gig, one of the best.

Semi Detached was missing something, I knew it was wrong when I heard the first single, church of noise and didn't like it. The first Therapy single I didn't like. It just wasn't the same as it was a couple of years earlier when I had been bunking off in town avoiding studying for my leaving cert on release day of all the various EP's (short sharp shock, hats off to the insane, opal mantra etc.... ) The releases after that got progressively worse. They were ok, but they had lost that vital something that made them stand out. Sure there were one or two standout tracks from time to time. I wish I could put my finger on it.

I still keep them on my IPOD though to this day. Particularly the stuff from 1990 - 1995. And if anyone does come across pantapon rose on MP3 or the cover of seaside town, do let me know !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I still keep them on my IPOD though to this day. Particularly the stuff from 1990 - 1995. And if anyone does come across pantapon rose on MP3 or the cover of seaside town, do let me know !

Pantopon Rose was on the Nowhere CD single i believe, not the remixes by Joey Beltram and Sabres Of Paradise, not sure I have it though.

Tatty Seaside Town was on the Trigger Inside single, which I do have, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I saw them support Motorhead.
    Their version of Isolation was , erm.... different/interesting.

I saw/met the singer afterwards outside chatting to people , mainly Nothern Irish folks - he seems to have amassed a good few "friends" he used to work in factories with :D

Did anyone see them on their 1994 tour with the Manics ?

I saw them support Motorhead.
    Their version of Isolation was , erm.... different/interesting.

Being a big Joy Division fan, i didn't like it. I'd heard it months before the album as well as they were playing it live a lot. Most of Troublegum had been written and recorded about two years in advance with a big portion of it being released as EP's (with the exception of Opal Mantra).

That said, it was better than Femtex or Brainsaw.

I meant to put some sort of rolley eyes smiley at the end of that sentence :)
    Hearing Joy Division covers by anybody (even New Order) just sounds wierd.

I meant to put some sort of rolley eyes smiley at the end of that sentence :)
    Hearing Joy Division covers by anybody (even New Order) just sounds wierd.

I actually didn't mind Orgy's cover of Blue Monday, Although New Order successfully manage to butcher Joy Division covers mainly because Bernard Sumner is not Ian Curtis. The only one who can replicate Curtis' voice faithfully, in my opinion is Kirk Brandon, when he, Mike Peters, Slim Jim Phantom and Captain Sensible (as Dead Men Walking) did a cover of Transmission. Musically it didn't live up to the original, but vocally, it was the closest one would get.

Although from what i've read & heard, Brandon is just too much of a complete dick to work with.

Swoooosh

Most of that went over my head :p:o
    I gotta get searching :)

Swoooosh

Most of that went over my head :p:o
    I gotta get searching :)

80's 101 for Alan Dunne!
    Mike Peters is the vocalist for The Alarm
    Kirk Brandon was the vocalist for Theatre Of Hate (also featured Nigel Preston & Billy Duffy from The Cult), and Spear Of Destiny
    Slim Jim Phanton is the drummer for the Stray Cats and...
    Captain Sensible is the guitarist for The Damned.

You're velcome :D

My girlfriend gave out to me for not knowing The Alarm!-We were going through her nanny's vinyl and there was loads of Alarm.
    I know and like the Damned :cool: I don't think I know any releated bands though.
    I've heard of SoD and of course The Cult :)

My girlfriend gave out to me for not knowing The Alarm!-We were going through her nanny's vinyl and there was loads of Alarm.

Just back from Gathering 17 in LLandudno, North Wales after seeing them, Met Mike Peters before the show too, he's still belting out 3 and a half hour sets after surviving cancer twice. I've a ton of respect for the guy.
    I know and like the Damned :cool: I don't think I know any releated bands though.

Saw em earlier this year at the Button Factory, i think the place was kinda half full, but decent enough gig. Them, along with The Alarm are doing a UK tour this year I believe.
    I've heard of SoD and of course The Cult :)

I'd actually go out and shoot you if you didn't, just to put you out of your misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great album alright but everything else they released was a complete shambles and embarressing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Great album alright but everything else they released was a complete shambles and embarressing

Can't fully agree there i'm afraid. Infernal Love was bloody dire, but Semi Detatched and One Cure Fits All were somewhat returns to form. They weren't as pop-rock as half of Troublegum was, but they were definitely along the lines of Babyteeth and Pleasuredeath.

Thinking of it now, it was never the same after fife left. Hopkins was pants, they went from a unique sounding band, to a typical irish rock act. I think that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I really believe that fyfe was the best element of the band - he was a unique drummer...

Thinking of it now, it was never the same after fife left. Hopkins was pants, they went from a unique sounding band, to a typical irish rock act. I think that was it.

Yeah, Fife's sound was quite distinctive for the band, even if it did sound like bottles and bin lids at times, you knew it was a Therapy? track that was playing as a result of it.

Sadly, it still couldn't save Infernal Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

god i hate that saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

never got into therapy in a big way,was impressed by them live though. seen them in 94 or 95,not sure,at sunstroke in dalymount with the chili's and helmet,sounded great live. can't believe it's 15 years since that album came out,i feel old!:(

lord lucan wrote: »
    never got into therapy in a big way,was impressed by them live though. seen them in 94 or 95,not sure,at sunstroke in dalymount with the chili's and helmet,sounded great live. can't believe it's 15 years since that album came out,i feel old!:(

Was there for that gig too, Sunstroke 94 at Dalymount Park. Soundgarden were also billed but had to bail cos Cornell's throat gave out and had to give up the european festival tour, which included Reading too if i recall correctly. Ice Cube was also on the bill and was turfed off the stage after 5 minutes at the request of the Gardai for starting a "f*ck the police" chant.

Good times. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

15 years. I too feel old now Be great if they did a tour playing all of it. Everyone else seems to be doing it so why not i'd go for sure

• Advertisement

Pants, pants, pants. Thats a special request for rarnes1 ;-)

Anyway Fyfe, yes, he was different, I don't think Nurse would have happened without him. The drums made that album. I do remember the metal press being confused as to what to label Therapy? as at the time of Nurse. Industrial was what I think was settled on. Somewhere near Ministry and NIN. Troublegum put them back into a more mainstream place and they took off from there.

I do remember the band being interviewed after Fyfe left and saying that it was so much better, there was a looser feeling, that when Fyfe was on his form it was great and when he was off, then it was a disaster. Funny enough, around the same time another band was talking about things being much better now that they were looser. That band were Metallica who were promoting LOAD at the time.

Since then I have taken "Loose" to be a literal translation of "we have lost it". Therapy lost their fire and become a standard Irish rock band, albeit one I still had a soft spot for. Metallica on the other hand tried to become Bon Jovi.

All this therapy talk got me into my attic this morning and lo and behold I found all of the EP's (on cassette), complete with all bonus cards / artwork etc... and even dug out a 12" Short Sharp Shock EP (the one with the flourescent green and pink) and the Teethgrinder 12" single. They bring back memories, I tell you.

Advertisement