Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Therapy? - Troublegum

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Was there for that gig too, Sunstroke 94 at Dalymount Park. Soundgarden were also billed but had to bail cos Cornell's throat gave out and had to give up the european festival tour, which included Reading too if i recall correctly. Ice Cube was also on the bill and was turfed off the stage after 5 minutes at the request of the Gardai for starting a "f*ck the police" chant.

Good times. :D

christ i'd forgotten all about that:eek: aaaahhhh,the good old days.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

lord lucan wrote: »
    christ i'd forgotten all about that:eek: aaaahhhh,the good old days.:D

I was so drunk at that gig, and everyone seemed to be at it, I bumped into a number of ex's (some i was with again that day) in Dalymount that year.

WE DIDN'T NEED 0X*G3N, WE HAD DALYMOUNT F*CKING PARK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Sunstroke 94 - I was stone cold sober, and Ice Cube played 45 minutes! ;)

He was great, I've never been a rap fan but he really worked the crowd brilliantly.

Terrorvision were great too, Frank Black was dull & RHCP were pretty good (I wouldn't cross the road to see them now). I think My Little Funhouse were on that bill too...

Therapy? rocked the place - Page Hamilton joined them for 'Unbeliever', they really were at the peak of their popularity that day.

I saw them a few more times after that, they weren't great at the Point in 1995, although later gigs in the likes of the Ambassador & Olympia were good alright.

peter1892 wrote: »
    Sunstroke 94 - I was stone cold sober, and Ice Cube played 45 minutes! ;)

I only remember a couple of songs! Of course alcohol and memory tend to distort things.
    He was great, I've never been a rap fan but he really worked the crowd brilliantly.

I enjoyed him as well, i'd liked N.W.A stuff anyway and had heard Lethal Injection which i really must dig back out sometime. :)
    Terrorvision were great too, Frank Black was dull & RHCP were pretty good (I wouldn't cross the road to see them now). I think My Little Funhouse were on that bill too...

Yeah Terrorvision had a good set, although they were pretty much at the tail end of their life as far as decent albums were concerned. Frank Black was utter rubbish, Just didn't fit in there with the line up. I don't remember My Little Funhouse at Dalymount that year, which was a shame cos Standunder still holds up as an awesome album today.
    Therapy? rocked the place - Page Hamilton joined them for 'Unbeliever', they really were at the peak of their popularity that day.

Yeah, the EP's were the best way for the band to go from Nurse to Troublegum. By the time 1994 had ended, they were on top and it seemed like they were going to stay there for a bit too, MTV played their stuff on heavy rotation, Screamager and Trigger Inside were on radio quite a lot too.

Then Infernal Love came around and it was just blah. Of course, their appearance on the Late Late show was hysterical as 200 shocked faces sat there when their performance of "Stories" was finished. Priceless. :)
    I saw them a few more times after that, they weren't great at the Point in 1995, although later gigs in the likes of the Ambassador & Olympia were good alright.

I dodged that gig, and many said I dodged a bullet, Didn't Fyfe leave the band too not long after that gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I dodged that gig, and many said I dodged a bullet, Didn't Fyfe leave the band too not long after that gig?

Yeah, I think they did one more gig with him (Ulster Hall the same week) and after that he was gone. He's such a unique drummer & it was never quite the same without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

Do any of you remember 'On The Waterfront' - the manager from The Commitments used to present it. That was my introduction to Therapy?
    I wore out my VHS copy of that , and it was only a two or three song set. Andy rockin a Tele and a Marshall- best sound he ever had.
    Actually I always loved the samples which was a big part of their sound too- used to spend ages trying to figure out what movies they were from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Saw Therapy? in Leisureland on that tour also saw them at Oxygen an't remember the year and some tiny pub in Limerick on the Semi detached tour with about 200 people there best gig I was ever at.
    Troublegum for me was a mixed bag - the first 7 songs are great but Isolation, Femtex, Brainsaw and Lunacy booth are all very dodgy.
    Nurse, Babyteeth, Pleasuredeath and some of Semi detached and Suicide Pact were great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I saw them in Sunstroke, Point, The Mean Fiddler (I think) & Donnington Monsters of Rock '95 - the last gig I was at was at The Point just after Infernal Love & the crowd had changed completely, full of teeny boppers - I trew myself off one of the metal barriers they have in the crowd & where I was expecting to be caught and carried over the crowd - instead the crowd opened like the dead sea & I snotted myself on the concrete...

Always a great band live - I'd still love a pogo on a nazi t-shirt, or to be able to fit into my Therapy?/Masrshall T...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    the crowd had changed completely, full of teeny boppers - I trew myself off one of the metal barriers they have in the crowd & where I was expecting to be caught and carried over the crowd - instead the crowd opened like the dead sea & I snotted myself on the concrete...

That was exactly the same reason i stopped going to fibbers in 95/96 actually. Because it became a dwelling for teenyboppers and students who the closest they got to metal was the Oasis album their better halves got them for christmas.

A dull time for metal indeed. Thankfully Bruxelles was always an option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

listening to therapy now again after reading this thread. I was about 12-13 when I first listened to it and just thought it was awesome.

Such a great album and will always be one of my top bands, for that album alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

buck65 wrote: »
    Saw Therapy? in Leisureland on that tour also saw them at Oxygen an't remember the year and some tiny pub in Limerick on the Semi detached tour with about 200 people there best gig I was ever at.
    Troublegum for me was a mixed bag - the first 7 songs are great but Isolation, Femtex, Brainsaw and Lunacy booth are all very dodgy.
    Nurse, Babyteeth, Pleasuredeath and some of Semi detached and Suicide Pact were great though.
    +1 with the exception of isolation love that track but your right the first half of the album is deadly. does weaken a bit after that

I picked up the new album 'Crooked Timber' & its not bad - it doesn't have the same pop feel of Troublegum but its certainly better than the efforts from Metallica & (the alleged) Guns N' Roses this year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Their best album.

davylee wrote: »
    +1 with the exception of isolation love that track but your right the first half of the album is deadly. does weaken a bit after that

Bleugh, i'm sorry, but i can't agree with Isolation. It should have stayed a Live only track, or maybe a b-side, but it had no right on the album, nor as a single release. The only good thing it did was introduce a few more people to the music of Joy Division, but that was about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have to say I love Isolation. The drums are just so chaotic and their sound meshes really well with the guitar and bass. Now that I have the song in my head I wish I had it to hand so I could listen to it now :).

I do think that the last few songs on the album (Brainsaw in particular) are a bit of a let down but that's probably because the rest of the album is so good.

malice_ wrote: »
    I have to say I love Isolation. The drums are just so chaotic and their sound meshes really well with the guitar and bass. Now that I have the song in my head I wish I had it to hand so I could listen to it now :).

I do think that the last few songs on the album (Brainsaw in particular) are a bit of a let down but that's probably because the rest of the album is so good.

For me, i was a Joy Division fan before I was a Therapy? fan, so i figured it was just down to me being petrified of change when it came out. But when this thread kicked off, i listened to the album a couple of times and i still feel exactly the same about Isolation. It just doesn't fit in to me. It sounded more like it should have been a b-side with their cover of Breaking The Law and C.C Rider (which i actually could have lived with on the album)

I do agree with you on Femtex and Brainsaw, although Lunacy Booth grew on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Fair enough, if you were a Joy Division fan first then you were always going to have a different take on that song. When I got the album first I didn't even know it was a cover. As I said earlier, I love the the mix of the instruments and the lyrics tie in nicely with the whole angst-ridden vibe that runs through the rest of the album.

Up until 5 minutes ago I had never even heard the original fully :o. I dug it out on Youtube while typing up this post.

For anyone else who might be unfamiliar with the original here it is along with the cover version so you can draw a comparison:

I got into Joy Division after listening to the Therapy? version. I love Therapy?s one...

malice_ wrote: »
    Fair enough, if you were a Joy Division fan first then you were always going to have a different take on that song. When I got the album first I didn't even know it was a cover. As I said earlier, I love the the mix of the instruments and the lyrics tie in nicely with the whole angst-ridden vibe that runs through the rest of the album.

Up until 5 minutes ago I had never even heard the original fully :o. I dug it out on Youtube while typing up this post.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate Joy Division covers, Warrior Soul's cover of Interzone, i thought was done really well. And you don't get more anger and angst than Kory Clarke.

I first heard Therapy's version live at the SFX in 1993, and it is a good live track. I just think some covers should be kept live, because it makes them that more special to hear. But that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great great album. Haven't listened to it in ages, must find and play in the car again now :) Best driving fast music ever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stephen_b

new video just put up last week from the latest album.quite an interesting album.you never know what to expect from them with each release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtP4-dJak8Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

boycey wrote: »
    Do any of you remember 'On The Waterfront' - the manager from The Commitments used to present it. That was my introduction to Therapy?
    I wore out my VHS copy of that , and it was only a two or three song set. Andy rockin a Tele and a Marshall- best sound he ever had.
    Actually I always loved the samples which was a big part of their sound too- used to spend ages trying to figure out what movies they were from!

Jesus On the Waterfront!!!

My brother worked on that show if I remember correctly. He said Robert Arkins was a wee bit up himself hosting it

Advertisement