Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on jailbreaking my iphone 3g

• 07-02-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hi, ive thought about this before but never did it as i dont know enough about it...basically id like to be able to:

use my phone as a wireless modem

have a landsacpe kepyboard to send texts

will jailbreaking allow this? Do you have to pay for apps from cydia? if so how? credit card? is it ok?

what about all the apps i have from itunes? will i loose them? will i still be able to buy apps from the app store ( i want to buy slingbox app when it is available)?

will i loose any functionality? when apple release the next update , can i just synk my phone and update as usual?

bacically i want to know exactly what im getting myself into b4 i do it..and is it an easy process?jailbreaking it?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 astropaul

Jailbreaking your iPhone3G is very easy with PwnageTool and
    opens up a lot of extra functionality which Apple does not allow
    on the AppStore. For example, video recording with Cycorder,
    a range of SMS apps, that do SMS in landscape like you say.

Most apps in Cydia are free, some are paid, some are ad-supported.
    The paid ones you go to the app webpage, pay via PayPal etc

> what about all the apps i have from itunes? will i loose them?

No, you can run Cydia and iTunes/AppStore together.
    They just ignore each other. I think your Cydia apps are
    not backed up when you do a backup.

> will i loose any functionality? when apple release the next update

No, you will gain functionality. But updates will lock the phone again.
    So it means if you want to keep Cydia and the phone Jailbroken,
    you need to re-jailbreak it after every iPhoneOS update. It takes
    about 30 mins to do this.

Good luck,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

astropaul wrote: »

Jailbreaking your iPhone3G is very easy with PwnageTool and
    opens up a lot of extra functionality which Apple does not allow
    on the AppStore. For example, video recording with Cycorder,
    a range of SMS apps, that do SMS in landscape like you say.

Most apps in Cydia are free, some are paid, some are ad-supported.
    The paid ones you go to the app webpage, pay via PayPal etc

> what about all the apps i have from itunes? will i loose them?

No, you can run Cydia and iTunes/AppStore together.
    They just ignore each other. I think your Cydia apps are
    not backed up when you do a backup.

> will i loose any functionality? when apple release the next update

No, you will gain functionality. But updates will lock the phone again.
    So it means if you want to keep Cydia and the phone Jailbroken,
    you need to re-jailbreak it after every iPhoneOS update. It takes
    about 30 mins to do this.

Good luck,

Thanks for the advice.

Can you give me a link as to where i can get this Pwnage tool thing so i can go ahead and jailbreak? Thanks.

U mention above ''updates will lock the phone again''...u dont mean a network lock do u? I got my phone in itally with no network lock , so is it safe to assume that if i update after a jailbreak that my phone wont get network locked? I take it it just deletes cydia and un jailbreakes the phone so it goes back to the state it was in just before u jailbroke it?

when i jail break, does anything happen that is not reversable? i.e can i get my phone back to its exact origional state before jailbreaking if i need to?

Thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Can you give me a link as to where i can get this Pwnage tool thing so i can go ahead and jailbreak? Thanks.

Ah come on, how hard is it to type pwnage into Google? Or into the search function on this forum?
    U mention above ''updates will lock the phone again''...u dont mean a network lock do u? I got my phone in itally with no network lock , so is it safe to assume that if i update after a jailbreak that my phone wont get network locked? I take it it just deletes cydia and un jailbreakes the phone so it goes back to the state it was in just before u jailbroke it?

Yes, that is correct. Your phone should still be unlocked, but it will "un-jailbreak" it.
    when i jail break, does anything happen that is not reversable? i.e can i get my phone back to its exact origional state before jailbreaking if i need to?

Yes, you can get it back to it's original state. Just restore it from iTunes (hint: the bit in iTunes where it says "If you are experiencing problems with your phone you can restore it to it's original settings by clicking restore" :))

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ah come on, how hard is it to type pwnage into Google? Or into the search function on this forum?

Yes, that is correct. Your phone should still be unlocked, but it will "un-jailbreak" it.

Yes, you can get it back to it's original state. Just restore it from iTunes (hint: the bit in iTunes where it says "If you are experiencing problems with your phone you can restore it to it's original settings by clicking restore" :))

thanks for the info....

i just asked for a link because i know there are plenty of people out there that get a kick out of making viruses and disguising them as something else in order to get you to download them...so i though maybe there are some un official versions of this about that will screw up my iphone...then again maybe im just being over cautious...but was just looking to download it from an officail site..if there is one..

on another note...

has any tried the cydia app that lets u use the iphone as a tethered modem? PDA something i think its called...is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2538

Here is the link for jailbreaking/Unlocking the iphone 3g.
    Its very easy if you need help just ask

• Advertisement

thanks..

my current software in version 2.2....is it ok to go ahead and update it to the latest version 2.2.1 before i go ahead with the jailbreak? i dont need it unlocked as it is factory unlocked...

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

thanks..

my current software in version 2.2....is it ok to go ahead and update it to the latest version 2.2.1 before i go ahead with the jailbreak? i dont need it unlocked as it is factory unlocked...

thanks

Google search for dev team, its all explained on there.

everytime i download the zip file quickpwn for 2.2.1 firmware it wont work..

it will download, then i extract, the when i double click on the pineapple thing to open and run quick pwn it says ''the application failed to initialise properly''...i tried downloading it from a few different places but same thing every time....
    can any1 help?

thanks

Why do you have to use quickpwn if its factory unlocked.?
    Did you try the link i sent you for iclarified?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My sister is getting a second hand RTG iphone 3G , will her O2 sim work straight away or will I need to Jailbreak it for her ?

• Advertisement

If its locked to 02 it should work. You might have to reactivate it in itunes.
    If you have problems with it pm me.

Just thinking , I'm gonna have to jailbreak as she wants some of the stuf from cydia that I have on mine .

sharkman wrote: »
    Just thinking , I'm gonna have to jailbreak as she wants some of the stuf from cydia that I have on mine .

Its better to have them jailbroken anyway. you have more options and can install better programs

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stream

thanks for the info....

has any tried the cydia app that lets u use the iphone as a tethered modem? PDA something i think its called...is it any good?

Does anyone use their Iphone as the sole method of accessing internet on their laptop? ie no longer a need for home broadband? Or is this only practical as an on-the-go utility for accessing internet on laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Its better to have them jailbroken anyway. you have more options and can install better programs

Personal experience has taught me that you sacrifice some stability & performance in exchange for the extra apps though.

Just read this : GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone running 2.2 firmware and you want to keep your ability to use yellowns0w (or the option to use it in the future) do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool.

Whats this all about , I'm about to jailbreak my sister-in-laws iphone and dont want to mess it up .

If you're unlocking a 3G iPhone for use on another (non-O2) network, you'll need to use PwnageTool in Expert Mode and disable the baseband update. This is because the phone is upgraded to 2.2.1 through iTunes you won't be able to unlock it.

OK , so if its for an O2 RTG sim I just use QuickPwn !

Yep, should be no problem as long as the SIM currently works in the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

everytime i download the zip file quickpwn for 2.2.1 firmware it wont work..

it will download, then i extract, the when i double click on the pineapple thing to open and run quick pwn it says ''the application failed to initialise properly''...i tried downloading it from a few different places but same thing every time....
    can any1 help?

thanks

Install the latest .NET framework version from the Microsoft website. That should fix the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement