Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess shop

Options
  • 07-02-2009 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All

I have just found out that the Guess shop just off Grafton street has closed down. I have a voucher for that shop and so do many of my friends but there is no forwarding address or information on how to get money back. Also have checked in Arnotts as they stock Guess bags but they also dont know anything and wont except Guess vouchers...
    What do I do??

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to correct forum.
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

If a store that sells a voucher closes down, the voucher holder becomes an unsecured creditor of the retailer who must register their claim with the liquidator. A claim will be considered only after all those of secured creditors, which means it is virtually impossible to get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    If a store that sells a voucher closes down, the voucher holder becomes an unsecured creditor of the retailer who must register their claim with the liquidator. A claim will be considered only after all those of secured creditors, which means it is virtually impossible to get your money back.

That only applies if the company itself is closing down. I assume that in this case, it is only the store that has closed/relocated and the company still exists.

No contact details on their main website (very poor form).

You can try contacting them here and ask to be put on to the relevant department.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Company Registrations Office lists a Guess? Operations Ireland Ltd, at 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay, but it was dissolved on 15/02/2008.

I'd go with the previous poster's suggestion and try to contact their main offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It seems usual advice at moment to get rid of vouchers for any shop ASAP as this type of things is happening already e.g. Zavvi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

On a similar note, I bought my wife a voucher for Bijou (beauty salon) in Limerick for Christmas. Passing teh door a few minutes ago, I noticed they've shut up shop.

How do I even go about finding out who the liquidaror is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

BnA wrote: »
    On a similar note, I bought my wife a voucher for Bijou (beauty salon) in Limerick for Christmas. Passing teh door a few minutes ago, I noticed they've shut up shop.

How do I even go about finding out who the liquidaror is ?

No hope there ... you'll be last in the queue for money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Do you mean in general or are you specifically talking about the Bijou situation...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd say he means in general. If a business goes into liquidation, then they have no money left to pay their debts, so you have basically no hope of getting your money back, unless you bought the voucher with a credit card. It would be very unusual if, after liquidating all the businesses assets, that there'd be anything left after paying the secured creditors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rosebrown

I too have over e100 worth of vouchers for Bijou in Limerick. Called them today to make an appointment and the phone is disconnectedand the whole place was locked up, shutters down when I drove by in the middle of the afternoon! I'm sickened!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rosebrown wrote: »
    I too have over e100 worth of vouchers for Bijou in Limerick. Called them today to make an appointment and the phone is disconnectedand the whole place was locked up, shutters down when I drove by in the middle of the afternoon! I'm sickened!!

the voucher is worth about 0.0001c now, might as well bin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

AFAIK if the business is bought by a new owner, then the new owner is supposed to honour the credit note. For eg my sis had vouchers for a beauty salon, which closed down, but a new beauty salon went into the same premises. the new owner had bought out the original business. In this case the new owner had to honour my sisters vouchers. So if a new owner takes over - even if they change the name - and operate the same business as the old one, they should honour the vouchers. Not sure if this ALWAYS has to be the case, but it might help some of you out there to get use of the vouchers.

Advertisement