Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shipping van to oz

Options
  • 07-02-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi I have mate looking at getting residency in oz. he is been self employed kitchen fitter for 4- 5 years. he is looking at taking the family out, he was asking me about shipping his van with all his tools to oz before he goes. is it worth it?

does oz have VRT?
    the cost outway the benefit? i would say off the top of my head that the cost of all his tools plus van would be hitting 20k (blind guess)
    anyone done this before?

where in oz is the best place for him to go? hearing different things about perth.

Anyways let us know what ye think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Just saw this now. Don't think there is VRT in Australia. If there is, then it is probably just a token amount cause i know there's tons of cheap jap import sports cars in Sydney and Perth.

As for costs. A container from Syd to Dublin used to cost about 1000euro and you can fit more than just a van in it. That was the price to ship a car from Oz to here in a container anyway.
    Only problem is the van prob has no air con and u will need it in Australia in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

great thanks for the response do you have a contact or website you can get for a crowd that deals in containers.

Ya i dont think its got air con ford transit 06.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greatdane

as far as i remember from about 4 years ago,

If you import a "home industry" car (a make that is built in oz)
    eg, ford, mitsubishi, holden there is a loading on the car to protect locally built cars. If you look at the imports they are all nissans and toyotas

also you will need to get the van fumigated and a few other things when it lands at port.
    Then get it registered with stamp duty payable.

to be honest i would buy out there as it is much cheaper.

The mate is taking into account that he can stuff the van full of his tools so he can hit the ground running out there i dont the van is the issue i think its more his tools.

Saying that maybe what might be best is he flogs his van here ships his tools and buys another van the other side.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

I considered taking my 4wd over here but the amount of paperwork is truly astounding after I researched it further.

As for hitting the ground running in Perth read the other Jobs in Oz threads you dont hit the ground it hits you.

Also customs love tools in my container they went straight through every tool I had looking for dirt and gunk.

A brand new holden 2 door Ute with tray will cost him $19,950 + a few grand for the back boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Better off to sell the van. So many rules and regulations here.

well thanks for all the replies ill pass on to him anyways see what he thinks. thanks zambia ill have a look at the other thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Like zambia said make sure he cleans all his tools to a shine before shipping. AQIS sometimes love to play "bugger the immos plans up"

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

you cant import a car to australia unless its one of the followinmg

a)older than 1988 (used to 15 yrs but changed to 88)
    b)on a list of classic and collectors cars hence you only see sports car jap imports
    c) you owned it for 12months overseas and are returning to australia,

now i'm not sure if a new immigrant qualifies for (c) or whether the above applies to commercial vehciles i think you cant import any commercial vehicle but may be wrong

also bear in mind a car imported to australia will have to firtsly go thru the strict quarintinee process as stated above. it will also have to be australian complianced i.e indicators stick on right hand side, safety bars in doors and few other small things, you generally need to budget 1-2k for these works to be done and certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

K

Check out

importing a motor vehicle

Should answer alot of questions.

Looks like all the guys are right more hassle than its worth .

Also take a look at

www.carsales.com.au to give yourself a guide price on van n cars in the like

Example

TOYOTA HIACE SBV

If i was you I’d buy a good Australian icon

HOLDEN UTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

You can pick up a diesel Hilux 4x2 with a canopy new for a lot less hassle than it would cost in time & quarantine bastard-headness for shipping out a van. Plus you would have air con & fit in with the local tradies better. Just get some tattoos, King Gee work clothes & lose some teeth.

EDIT: I woudn't worry about getting a Holden Commonwhore SS ute unless you really like driving sideways.

Advertisement