Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bakery Shop Balbriggan

Options
  • 07-02-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Noticed recently that a bakery opened in Balbriggan down on the corner of George's Hill near the train station.

Landed down this morning hoping to get some bread. Now, it's not a bakery as such, no baguettes and viennas or anything like that. What it is though is a nice wee café doing buns, cakes, scones, muffins and tea/coffee.

We got two buns and took them home........I wouldn't be mad into sweet things but motherful jesus they were gorgeous, would highly recommend this place!!!

I wish there were more small shops like this around the town, anyone fancy opening a fruit and veg shop and a good deli........ah go on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Haven't been in there myself yet but one of the lads in work was raving about some sort of bun he got there. Hope the coffee is nice, find it hard to get decent coffee in the cafes in Balbriggan.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sounds yummy:)
    So where is Georges hill?
    I presume it is not near Trax?
    It isn't the new coffee shop with mizzonis in it,is it?
    I saw no baking there:(

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Sounds yummy:)
    So where is Georges hill?
    I presume it is not near Trax?
    It isn't the new coffee shop with mizzonis in it,is it?
    I saw no baking there:(

It's literally around the corner from Trax. If you were standing outside Trax facing the train station, go right and you'll stumble upon it :)

Must try that new coffee shop actually. I've heard really good things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that is the one with Mizzonis,will go investigate!

I found it and got cake:)
    It was a bit late so not much left for sambos so went back to mizzonis for pizza,you can sit in and eat it,I was so impressed:)
    Café by day pizza place by night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 japzeye

Went in today on the mainly possitive response on here,totally disappointed! Got a few buns/cakes,really unhappy,they ended up in the bin :mad:

japzeye wrote: »
    Went in today on the mainly possitive response on here,totally disappointed! Got a few buns/cakes,really unhappy,they ended up in the bin :mad:

Oh thats a shame. Two of the folks in work went in yesterday at lunchtime and were absolutely raving about the sticky buns. Haven't tried it myself though.

I'm going to give it another go next week,maybe it was just a bad day when i went in.

I'm going to give it another go next week,maybe it was just a bad day when i went in.

Let us know how you get on.

The two work mates in question also tried the other food there. One had a sandwich and a tea, the other had the soup and a glass of water. Both very impressed. He said the bread used on the sambo was "the freshesh I've ever had." When he went to pay the lady behind the counter said they had a deal where you could get a soup and a sambo and a tea for €6, so even though they were separate orders they were able to pay that way.

It's great to see some nice (non-fast food) places opening up in the town. Hope they do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Have to agree with japzeye on this one.

We went for lunch special in castellina chianti last fri and saw this bakery when walking out so decided we'd get our dessert there!

Bought a kind of doughnutty cake,it looked lovely but it was sickening,was covered in a kind of goo and tasted like the sponge part was dipped in sherry or something,like the way trifle is but a lot more sickly sweet.
    And a lot of the cakes were advertised by nice lady working there as fresh cream cakes,my b/f is chef and he said its not fresh cream used at all.

Place is spotless clean though so might give it another chance some day when need sugar rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

suzieb wrote: »
    And a lot of the cakes were advertised by nice lady working there as fresh cream cakes,my b/f is chef and he said its not fresh cream used at all.
    So are you saying it's false advertising by The Bakery Shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

I am saying that on the day I went in, the lady described the cakes to me as "fresh cream" cakes which they were not-so I suppose that depending on the particular customers nature some would see it as false advertising.

I on the other hand would call it chancing their arm and if people are happy enough and believe its fresh cream it probably doesnt make that much difference to them whether its fresh or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 balbrigganseye

Have to agree with people who were a bit disappointed. Tried it because of recomendations here. Wasnt overly impressed. Will give it another go. Want to support all businesses around the town. Too many empty retail units around the town - looks bad and doesnt do anything for towns confidence. Hopefully just teething problems for this bakery.

Passed by twice this week an was closed,anyone know what happened? Wasn't a huge fan myself but hate to see anyone close down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Passed by twice this week an was closed,anyone know what happened? Wasn't a huge fan myself but hate to see anyone close down.

Thats very sad if it has closed down already. I had been in it a couple of times, and found it a nice little stop off while out walking. it had plenty of room to bring a pram in too, which is a rarity these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It has to have been closed for at least the past 3 weeks as I walked past over the Easter break and the shutters were down.

Come to think of it I've not seen some of the employees around the area recently either. Such a pity if it's true to see another local business failing before it has a chance to get off the ground. I would wonder if the location was a big handicap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I would wonder if the location was a big handicap though.

Must have been. I only found it by chance, even with the signs. There's little to no footfall around there at the best of times. I didn't bother going in because of the description on here of the cream not being fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

It looked pretty open today. I have only been back once since my OP.
    Had a sandwich the last time, it was lovely, homebaked bread and homemade coleslaw.....tasty, I wasn't mad on the coffee though, bit watery.
    Hope it stays open.

Anybody know if there has been any movement on the proposed farmers/fish market in Balbriggan, thought there was meant to be a decision by end of March???

http://stephenkilgallon.ie/2009/02/23/show-your-support-for-a-farmers-fish-market-for-balbriggan/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Helmet wrote: »

Anybody know if there has been any movement on the proposed farmers/fish market in Balbriggan, thought there was meant to be a decision by end of March???

Trevor Sargent was talking about this on The Right Hook yesterday. I only caught a minute or two of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

Did he mention anything about it getting the go-ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Confab wrote: »
    There's little to no footfall around there at the best of times.

but with these being the worst of recession times, the good news for them is that the amount of people having to go into the post office, and queue down the street means that hopefully they will get a lot more footfall.

Of course most of those feet falling past it are now unemployed and might not be able to stretch to a sticky bun!

I hope they do get the business - as others said its good to see businesses doing well in the town. And its nice to see a food establishment which is not overpriced con (i.e a bagel which is basically the same size as a small bread roll, but with the middle cut out, so not even as good value as a bap! lol) or a greasy spoon. Now the greasy spoon has its place when the hangover kicks in, but a nice coffee shop where you can relax and have a coffee and a cake is a nice addition.
    Would be great if they could offer more of a 'bakery' though - like the one on the main street in drogheda - I love their cakes and bread. If somewhere like that opened in the town I would be there in a flash, and 10 stone heavier in a month (knock on effect would be extra business for weight watchers too! hehe)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Confab wrote: »
    Must have been. I only found it by chance, even with the signs. There's little to no footfall around there at the best of times. I didn't bother going in because of the description on here of the cream not being fresh.

Have been in the shop many times. It is still open for business, there was a problem with the baker who supplies cakes. I Think it's fab. I would certainly tell the lady that you are not happy that something is being advertised that's not correct. Think they are really struggling and might be glad of the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Very disappointing that this shop closed down- TBH I think there is more of a need for a coffee shop near the church/Lidl, I think it would do well with free parking at the church and the parents who drop kids to activites at Glebe North.

Advertisement