Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool 17:30 [Game Thread] Setanta Ireland

• 07-02-2009 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Three points is vital for Liverpool's challenge while there are rumours (mainly from Adams, himself) that he has gotten the dreaded chairman's vote of confidence after some poor performances by them

Liverpool team I'd pick

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Hyypia Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Babel Benayoun Riera
    Torres

Subs : Cavailieri, Agger, Ngog, El Zhar, Plessis, Babel, Pacheco

Team I think Rafa will pick

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Hyypia Aurelio
    Masch Alonso
    Kuyt Benayoun Riera
    Torres

Subs : Cavailieri, Agger, Skrtel, Ngog, El Zhar, Plessis, Babel

I really don't really want to see Torres on for longer than sixty minutes, if that. He can then come off with a "knock" and miss travelling for the international week. If we are two or three up then get the younger guys on to see out the match e.g. Babel (if he doesnt start) , El Zhar and Ngog

I would expect a 4-5-1 from Portsmouth with Crouch up front hoping to keep it tight and nick a goal. Will be interesting to see what the atmosphere in the ground is like i.e. will the fans get behind Adams or he is a dead man walking. I'm hoping for a similar performance from Portsmouth to the Fulham game where they were simply shocking.
    Portsmouth (from): James, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Pamarot, Hreidarsson, Belhadj, A Traore, Davis, Kranjcar, Little, Mvuemba, Crouch, Nugent, Utaka, Cranie, Mullins, Gekas, Basinas, Begovic.

Portsmouth could welcome back Sol Campbell (hip), while Greek signings Angelos Basinas and Theofanis Gekas could make their debuts.

Armand Traore (groin) is doubtful, Younes Kaboul faces a late fitness test and Jermaine Pennant is ineligible.

Comments

I think Alonso is injured mate :( - ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Two or three up inside an hour? That's optimistic! I'd agree with the theory, though - take Torres off as early as possible.

It'd be nice to see an early onslaught and a game wrapped up early for a start, but that's not been the style this season...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If we are two or three up then get the younger guys on to see out the match e.g. Babel (if he doesnt start) , El Zhar and Ngog

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

If you's are three nil up inside an hour I'll give you 20 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see nothing but grief, freezing Fratton Park on a Saturday evening. The crowd will be up for it, Alonso is not injured as far as I can tell. Torres will be marginal I think. Could easily see Kuyt/Ngog in a 4-4-2. Benny right, Riera left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

SantryRed wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

If you's are three nil up inside an hour I'll give you 20 quid.

Cheers I'll take that;)
    I think Alonso is injured mate :( - ankle.

I have heard anything definite but I'm really hoping he isn't as with Gerrard and Lucas out, our options become a lot more limited - anyone's guess who Rafa might play there instead of him - Plessis, Spearing, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun might all be considered :eek:
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Two or three up inside an hour? That's optimistic! I'd agree with the theory, though - take Torres off as early as possible.

It'd be nice to see an early onslaught and a game wrapped up early for a start, but that's not been the style this season...

May as well be optimistic - in spite of all the doom and gloom it's a game to go top, against a team that are playing poorly and we did trounce Chelsea last week. Also surely we are due some early goals in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

We jsut have to won this one,just have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cheers I'll take that;)

I have heard anything definite but I'm really hoping he isn't as with Gerrard and Lucas out, our options become a lot more limited - anyone's guess who Rafa might play there instead of him - Plessis, Spearing, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun might all be considered :eek:

May as well be optimistic - in spite of all the doom and gloom it's a game to go top, against a team that are playing poorly and we did trounce Chelsea last week. Also surely we are due some early goals in a game.

Kinda. Liverpool are usually very tepid and cautious in the first half, only springing to life at around the 60 min mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yep, talking about being three up inside half an hour is crazy talk. Let's not get the run of ourselves, I will take any sort of win. I don't care if it's a scrappy one nil win. This could be a really tough match despite Pompey going nowhere under Adams. It's only a matter of time before he's gone from there, summer at most. I'm just glad they didn't get rid of him before this game.
    But it's still going to be a nervy one. It's live on tv, an evening kick off. The fans will be up for it against a big club and they create a fantastic atmosphere down there.
    So, as i say. Let's not get the run of ourselves, any sort of victory will do!

P.S, it's live on Setanta so obviously it's gonna be a draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Going to be a very tough game. They have no burden of expectation weighing them down and great fans to cheer them on. No Gerrard removes the possibility of a get out of jail free card. Yes, I understand that we need to win - but if we do I would be surprised if it is comfortable.

Bracing myself.

Suggestion that Alonso is out on RAWK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Draw please

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

It will not be a walk in the park anyway.
    I think a 1-0 win with a peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i've heard that this will be the team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Hyypia
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Carragher
    Mascherano

Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

N'Gog

i've heard that this will be the team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Hyypia
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Carragher
    Mascherano

Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

N'Gog

i would only like to see this team for the last 20 mins if we were 3-0 up

coco06 wrote: »
    i would only like to see this team for the last 20 mins if we were 3-0 up

apparently Alonso is out, that's why Carra has been pushed up

apparently Alonso is out, that's why Carra has been pushed up

did a quick look around but didnt see anything about Alonso, where did u hear it?

did a quick look around but didnt see anything about Alonso, where did u hear it?

RAWK. To be fair the team is usually right from them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

link to stream ?

its on at 17:30..... oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jazzy wrote: »
    link to stream ?

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/

reina,
    carra skrtel agger arbelo
    aurelio masch dossena
    benayoun babel
    ngog

saw this team too and have to say i dont like it. might just be wind up .

• Advertisement

ROFL

Aurelio on right, Doss left wing (more "plausible" but still stupid)

Where did you get this?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just showed the team going into the dressing rooms at fratton park. Xabi and Nando will both be playing id imagine.

reina,
    carra skrtel agger arbelo
    aurelio masch dossena
    benayoun babel
    ngog

saw this team too and have to say i dont like it. might just be wind up .

course its a wind up ffs. Teams for prem games dont have to be until an hour before kick off AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Hyypia
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Carragher
    Mascherano

Kuyt
    Benayoun
    Babel

N'Gog
    I'd prefer if it was agger in midfield if the team resembles this!

A win here would be excellent to put a bit of pressure on utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Im expecting us to win but you'd never know with the Pool these days.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Very confident TBH. Portsmouth 1-4 Liverpool.

Highsider wrote: »
    Very confident TBH. Portsmouth 1-4 Liverpool.

Seriously?

I can't see yous winning here.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously?

I can't see yous winning here.
    Course you can't

Highsider wrote: »
    Course you can't

:confused:

I don't support a Premiership team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Torres on bench - Ngog to start

Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Skrtel, Mascherano, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Ngog.
    Subs: Cavalieri, Torres, Hyypia, Riera, Alonso, Kuyt, El Zhar.

And it's ngog up front on his own and five at the back.

0-0 here.

Torres on the banch, though. Might be in interesting idea to bring him on for half an hour only if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

3 at the back with wing backs one assumes - one hopes anyway

Happy days. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

That's a bizarre first 11. Even for a 3-5-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

zing wrote: »
    Torres on bench - Ngog to start

Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Skrtel, Mascherano, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Ngog.
    Subs: Cavalieri, Torres, Hyypia, Riera, Alonso, Kuyt, El Zhar.

Reina
    Arbeloa--Skrtel--Carra--Aurelio
    Masch--Agger
    -Babel
    Yossi
    Dossena
    Ngog

perhaps?

or else

Skrtel--Carra--Agger
    Arbeloa
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Babel---Yossi--Dossena
    Ngog

• Advertisement

Christ, i cant get my head around it. Whats the formation? 3 fullbacks on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Team seems to be confirmed on RAWK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Aurelio LW maybe??

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Aurelio LW maybe??

Of Doss and Aurelio, it has to be Doss on the wing (i hope!), Auelio's the better defender (and just as good attacking as well)

the official site seems to suggest it's:

Reina

Carragher
    Skrtel
    Agger

Arbeloa
    Dossena

Mascherano
    Aurelio

Benayoun

Babel
    N'Gog

• Advertisement

I'd play Agger with Masch.

the official site seems to suggest it's:

Reina

Carragher
    Skrtel
    Agger

Arbeloa
    Dossena

Mascherano
    Aurelio

Benayoun

Babel
    N'Gog

took a look at the site, you're quite right. Interesting! Aurelio's a good footballer, so hopefully should be able to do a job in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive never seen Rafa put out a formation like that before...

Would of preferd to keep two center halfs with cara and Skirtel and have Agger and Masch as the def mids. Agger imo would be great in that position he is good with the ball and has a cracker of shot on him.

Dossena does not inspire confidence.

Hope Babel impresses today would rather see him as striker. Ngog from what ive seen aint up to much though he pulled off that elastico trick which impressed me once a few months back :rolleyes:

joe123 wrote: »
    Ive never seen Rafa put out a formation like that before...

Would of preferd to keep two center halfs with cara and Skirtel and have Agger and Masch as the def mids. Agger imo would be great in that position he is good with the ball and has a cracker of shot on him.

Dossena does not inspire confidence.

Hope Babel impresses today would rather see him as striker. Ngog from what ive seen aint up to much though he pulled off that elastico trick which impressed me once a few months back :rolleyes:

we have played it before a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully Dossena will be more comfortable in a wing-back role.

Yeah its a throwback, actualy the whole "vibe" reminds me of 2005. :eek: Wheres Biscan when we need him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

babel could be very dangerous today,

he played very well as a striker the other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah its a throwback, actualy the whole "vibe" reminds me of 2005. :eek: Wheres Biscan when we need him?
    Doing an interview for PLWorld this week actually.

Christ, that interviewer on Setanta is an annoying cvnt. Im expecting Rafa to smack him

i'm loving the contempt Rafa has for the interviewer.

"Anyone who knows about football knows that a striker runs more than a centre back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What the feck is that Torres should be starting today its only a friendly between England at midweek and no game next week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement