Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool 17:30 [Game Thread] Setanta Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

win.

i'll let everyone else talk down to the trolls on the thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Pigman III

What an ugly away section...

Liverpool fluke it again.Were not the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I have to grudgingly take my hat off to Liverpool there. A gutsy win that you really need to produce in a title race. Didn't see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fcuk off all yee fickle rafa haters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i dont know who i have more disdain for

liverpool or portsmouth for just collapsing like a cheap deck chair

probably still liverpool

so you dont need gerrard for the get out of jail cards all the time we see :)

as long as torres is on the pitch that is, luck will run out however and if you are happy with todays performance you need to go see a head doctor, this is not a championship winning squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lets hear you all. LET ME HEAR YOU ALL

What you saying now? WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY NOW??

Thoroughly deserved 3 points. Great fight and determination displayed by the likes of Masch, Kuyt and Yossi. Get in.

lol calm down son

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

so far i haven't gotten carried away with all the this is our year thing.............but after watching that..........could it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

anladmór wrote: »
    portsmouth are going down for sure. adams is clueless. very poor defence as well. david james had a curtis alexander season last year.

Doesn't help when the club has no money and has your best player sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

What an impact from Torres, a goal and an assist !!!! Legend :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Pompy's defense are going to drive Tony Adams back to the bottle. Kuyt changed the game, put more pressure on p'mouth's dodgy defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thoroughly deserved 3 points. Great fight and determination displayed by the likes of Masch, Kuyt and Yossi. Get in.

You are crazy. They did not deserve to win that game. Benitez got out of jail big time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I won't give Rafa undeserved praise for this but anyone criticising Reina or Kuyt is either a utd fan or needs their head examined.

Great fight-delighted they were able to save Reina's blushes.

EDIT: You think Pompey deserved to win it? We owned the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kaimera wrote: »
    win.

i'll let everyone else talk down to the trolls on the thread :)

And I'll suggest that NOBODY does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kuyt man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bongomc wrote: »
    What an impact from Torres, a goal and an assist !!!! Legend :D:D:D:D

You would be lost without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RAFA IS A LEGEND......

I'd agree with you if he'd started with the eleven that finished. I'm sorry, but it was brutal selection and even he realised it towards the end.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Id ask you Should Torres not have been started? Maybe play 60 minutes we have our goals and then just maintain?

Should Alonso have started?

It took Benitez till the 75th minute to stick Torres on who had a huge part in Kuyts goal and scored a great one himself.

Benitez nearly ****ed it up royally against the worst Portsmouth side theyve had in years.

Apart from all this thank god we won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wreck wrote: »
    why the fcuk did Kuyt not start?

lol, you're bucking a general trend there, well done!
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Doesn't help when the club has no money and has your best player sold.

i fully agree with this. Every time i've seen them under adams they've played well. They lack quality up front. Not adams fault. There defence are making schoolboy errors. Adams must be tearing his hair out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

ye, liverpool showed good fighting spirit to get a win out of that potential banana skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

why the fcuk did Kuyt not start?

Perfect example of how people will condemn Raffa no matter what he does.

I always said Torres would hit form.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kuyt IS A LEGEND......

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Benitez is not a premiership winning manager and late goals against terrible teams should not cloud your judgement of his crazy team selection and tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ardent wrote: »
    You are crazy. They did not deserve to win that game. Benitez got out of jail big time there.

how can you possibly say that?! Kuyt scored a perfectly good goal to go 2-1 up that was chalked off, and pool still come back to win anyway and you say it wasn't deserved?! Christ...

pool were the better team and scored 4 good goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I hold my hands up. I didn't think that Liverpool team had a chance in hell in getting a result at the start of the game, or when they went 2-1 down. That comeback shows that this side are well capable of winning the league, something I never truly believed till now.

Well done.

Gotta say though, Torres is world class. We need him fit and firing for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Pigman III wrote: »
    What an ugly away section...

What you mean Liverpool fans won a fashion award of been the best looking fans among the premier league clubs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

sickened as a united fan..but jesus must say it was a very entertaining end.. just switched over just before the first goal.. good spirit from liverpool to fight back.. Kuyt was really good when he came on.. Could be a good tight run in now to the end.. all i will say is if Torres gets injured yer in trouble.. going by the comments here n'Gog was crap and babel missed a sitter..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

anyone who can't give liverpool credit for that is a dope

not only did we win,
    we we missing Steven "one man team" Gerrard
    kuyt scored a perfectly good on side goal,
    Nugent I'm fairly sure was offside for his,
    Aurelio hit the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fair play to liverpool - pulled it out in the end. big pressure on United for tomorrows game now.

Damn it.

Benitez is not a premiership winning manager and late goals against terrible teams should not cloud your judgement of his crazy team selection and tactics.

Better than 0-0 draws though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm so happy, completely deserved to win, Kuyts goal should have stood, and Babel well :o.

Top of the league now, even if it's just for one night, any Liverpool fan who starts nitpicking at the team or Rafa tonight is frankly a complete tool who deserves a scrotum attached to the inside of their mouths.

What a finish from Kuyt, and Aurelio, and Torres, what a game, what a result, :D:D:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ardent wrote: »
    joe123 wrote: »
    Id ask you Should Torres not have been started? Maybe play 60 minutes we have our goals and then just maintain?

It took Benitez till the 75th minute to stick Torres on who had a huge part in Kuyts goal and scored a great one himself.

Benitez nearly ****ed it up royally against the worst Portsmouth side theyve had in years.

Apart from all this thank god we won.

Yet again, I feel obliged to direct ye to:

- Post in the first half;
    - Babel's missed sitter;
    - Kuyt's good goal that was ruled offside;
    - uncharacteristic keeper error for their second goal;

Have a little think about the above please.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'd agree with you if he'd started with the eleven that finished. I'm sorry, but it was brutal selection and even he realised it towards the end.

For anyone trying to defend Rafas lunacy today read that post from ikky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mayordenis wrote: »
    anyone who can't give liverpool credit for that is a dope

not only did we win,
    we we missing Steven "one man team" Gerrard
    kuyt scored a perfectly good on side goal,
    Nugent I'm fairly sure was offside for his,
    Aurelio hit the post.

+1. We pulled a "United" today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kuyt was indeed MOTM which is unexpected to say the least given his recent form, shudda had a brace. When he came on the composure in the final third improved no end

As for Babel, well its just as well he got flagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

congrats,but surely you can see the world without the rosy tinted specs now and then? i understand the adrenaline rush of a last gasp winner that is undeserved though.
    RAFA IS A LEGEND......

i assume your taking the piss
    I just can't understand why some Liverpool fans continue to defend Benitez - imo Liverpool will never win the PL with him at the helm. Two late goals to get out of jail against one of the worst teams in the league and people are praising his bizarre team selection? Seriously, whatever about Torres (who is quite obviously fit since coming off the bench), why the fcuk did Kuyt not start?
    mike65 wrote: »
    Rafa is NOT a genius he is a very naughty/lucky boy. Bloody hell.

:pac:

ahhh two posters with sense!

well done lads

pulling it out at the death is title winning stuff, but i just cant see it with this particular team, making it that hard against what i would consider to be one of the worst if not the worst teams in the league right now is shocking....

should have been over at HT with the right team and tactics....

portsmouth are rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

joe123 wrote: »

Dude, did you not actually see how tired Torres looked against Everton?! Was much better off being saved for a tired team, and look he scored! Rafa = vindicated.

As for Alonso im sure Rafa would have preferred he didnt play at all after he picked up a knock in the last match. But sure yeah you're right, lets play our best players when they're injured - thats the way to win a league :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

In contrast to the posters saying this comeback shows that Liverpool can win the league, I would argue that this game shows exactly why they won't.

lol, you're bucking a general trend there, well done!

I think Kuyt is an excellent player for Liverpool, hardworking and dependable no matter where he is asked to play. Imo he has been one of their best players this season. I think it's unreal that he didn't start today.

Yet again, I feel obliged to direct ye to:

- Post in the first half;
    - Babel's missed sitter;
    - Kuyt's good goal that was ruled offside;
    - uncharacteristic keeper error for their second goal;

Have a little think about the above please.

So starting with the team we started with was alright so??

Clearly it showed he put out the wrong team.
    We were out of it untill Alonso Kuyt and Torres came on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees. To all you Rafa bashing fools out there put that in your pipe and smoke it. Some of the shameful comments from Liverpool fans on here during our games in a disgrace and to be truthful you are an embarrasment to the club and to the real supporters. Well in Rafa.Fu<k the begrudgers

Whats a "united"?
    United don't really concede any goals and they don't even play 5 at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

kryogen wrote: »
    i dont know who i have more disdain for

liverpool or portsmouth for just collapsing like a cheap deck chair

probably still liverpool

so you dont need gerrard for the get out of jail cards all the time we see :)

as long as torres is on the pitch that is, luck will run out however and if you are happy with todays performance you need to go see a head doctor, this is not a championship winning squad

Its February, look at the table. :)

Exactly. Premiership winning teams have to pull out results like that. That's 2 in a row we've done it, games we would have drawn last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Reading back on this thread made for some funny reading..

Great win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Comfortable victory IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kuyt being the diplomat , "Ryan was unlucky with his chance" , Obviously that translates into "that ****ign retard nearly cost us the match" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

and do their fans not like it

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    how can you possibly say that?! Kuyt scored a perfectly good goal to go 2-1 up that was chalked off, and pool still come back to win anyway and you say it wasn't deserved?! Christ...

pool were the better team and scored 4 good goals.

The game I watched, we huffed and puffed against a WOEFUL Portsmouth team and only upped our game when we went behind. Benitez handicapped our chances with his team selection but Torres came to the rescue again. We've got out of jail a few times this season but we won't always be this lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Comfortable victory IMO

:P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement