Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool 17:30 [Game Thread] Setanta Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Dude, did you not actually see how tired Torres looked against Everton?! Was much better off being saved for a tired team, and look he scored! Rafa = vindicated.

As for Alonso im sure Rafa would have preferred he didnt play at all after he picked up a knock in the last match. But sure yeah you're right, lets play our best players when they're injured - thats the way to win a league :rolleyes:

True he was tired. Rafa is not vindicated. A 3-2 win in the last minute against a struggling portsmouth is not good enough.

A goal in what the 90th minute makes Rafa Vindicated? All to often its been Gerrard whos got us out of jail and now its Torres.

And yeah Torres being tired no wait didnt Rafa just sell the striker we bought for 18 million without a replacement??

Yes thought so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Whats a "united"?
    United don't really concede any goals and they don't even play 5 at the back.

just scoring a late goal when you weren't really playing great. Like vs Stoke, Bolton, Sunderland . . .
    Not having a go. It's a fine quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yet again, I feel obliged to direct ye to:

- Post in the first half;
    - Babel's missed sitter;
    - Kuyt's good goal that was ruled offside;
    - uncharacteristic keeper error for their second goal;

Have a little think about the above please.

I think you're forgetting the errors that lead to the goals that were allowed for liverpool.
    Overall both teams were very poor and neither could've argued with a draw i think.
    Well done to liverpool for upping their game in the last 15 minutes and forcing the defensive errors in the end.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Kuyt being the diplomat , "Ryan was unlucky with his chance" , Obviously that translates into "that ****ign retard nearly cost us the match" :D

Kuyt is a foreigner as well.:confused:

If a certain other team finished the game like that they would be legends.:rolleyes:

Great win for Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Can people please be happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kuyt is a foreigner as well.:confused:

And?

He was also on his own givign the interview.I translated what he said (being nice) into what he meant (in his head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Listen to this plank Tim Sherwood. I won't say what i really think of this guy. Does'nt he work for Spurs...oh yeah where are they. Ha Ha :pac:

just scoring a late goal when you weren't really playing great. Like vs Stoke, Bolton, Sunderland . . .
    Not having a go. It's a fine quality

Ah yeah. Torres is some player.At least this will keep the title race interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

joe123 wrote: »
    True he was tired. Rafa is not vindicated. A 3-2 win in the last minute against a struggling portsmouth is not good enough.

A goal in what the 90th minute makes Rafa Vindicated? All to often its been Gerrard whos got us out of jail and now its Torres.
    and Kuyt, dont forget him. Wow, 3 players who can save us, thats pretty good in my book!
    And yeah Torres being tired no wait didnt Rafa just sell the striker we bought for 18 million without a replacement??

Yes thought so.

Yup, he said we had enough, and look, one of the people he cited scored 2 goals and put another ball on a plate for a teammate. I'll tell you one thing. If Keane had come on today instead of Kuyt, i dont think we would have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If a certain other team finished the game like that they would be legends.:rolleyes:

Great win for Liverpool

ssshhhhh your not allowed to make comments like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gahahahaha.

This thread is f*cking legendary. There's about 6 Liverpool "fans" on here that should be barred from celebrating if Liverpool win anything this season.

That was an epic finish of Istanbulic proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rockee wrote: »
    Its February, look at the table. :)

have you had a proper look yourself?

your ahead by what a point? and we have 2 games in hand...... not exacty favorite to be top when we catch up on games are you :)

scraping wins against a team like portsmouth should not be acceptable to you lot, i dont understand it

the team selection was terrible regardless of what llyod tries to say to the contrary

highlighting barely clipping the outside of the post in the first half as a reason for why the team was good is pathetic tbh.........

you had no composure and no rhythem especially in the final 3rd, until he changed the team and brought on Kuyt...he added a bit extra, then alonso steadied the midfield quietly and finally torres pace killed a terrible and also tired defence

liverpool won that game in spite of their manager rather then because of him

can you keep doing it?

yes "insert name of Setanta presenter" - Torres had a real long run out today. Morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity Dunphy doesn't do Super Soccer Saturday or whatever they call it these days.
    That was an epic finish of Instanbulic proportions.

I did mention 2005 vibe earlier. We won with no Biscan on the pitch. Amazing frankly.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote: »
    The game I watched, we huffed and puffed against a WOEFUL Portsmouth team and only upped our game when we went behind. Benitez handicapped our chances with his team selection but Torres came to the rescue again. We've got out of jail a few times this season but we won't always be this lucky.

as much as you may not want to believe it, Liverpool were the better team today and even with bad ref decisions and players missing gilt edged chances, still won. Deservedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Dude, did you not actually see how tired Torres looked against Everton?! Was much better off being saved for a tired team, and look he scored! Rafa = vindicated.

No he's not. Why not bring Torres on much sooner than 75 minutes?? He's not THAT exhausted!!

And, yes, he scored - but it was a standing header. I don't see how if he had started the game it would have been a different outcome.

So...vindicated my arse. The manager is very lucky.

PiE wrote: »
    Gahahahaha.

This thread is f*cking legendary. There's about 6 Liverpool "fans" on here that should be barred from celebrating if Liverpool win anything this season.

That was an epic finish of Instanbulic proportions.

Too right. Not that i think we will win it, but if we did there would be a naming and shaming thread started, and we can throw cyber-fruit at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Sooooooo..if rafa has'nt a clue (obviously:rolleyes:) as a manager that means all the other managers in the league are worse than him because they are below us in the league No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

€2k that cost me. All they had to do was draw at least and I'd of been sorted, absolutely sickened after watching it. It's not even losing the money (well of course it is) but it's more the worse than schoolboy defending that gave the goals away...

...I'm going for a drink or twenty :mad:

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    can you keep doing it?

this is the question. Hopefully yes, but being here at all is a massive step up, and something all the Liverpool fans on here should be delighted with. Of course they won't be as some of them seem to only delight in misery and negativity.

your ahead by what a point? and we have 2 games in hand...... not exacty favorite to be top when we catch up on games are you :)

scraping wins against a team like portsmouth should not be acceptable to you lot, i dont understand it

the team selection was terrible regardless of what llyod tries to say to the contrary

highlighting barely clipping the outside of the post in the first half as a reason for why the team was good is pathetic tbh.........

you had no composure and no rhythem especially in the final 3rd, until he changed the team and brought on Kuyt...he added a bit extra, then alonso steadied the midfield quietly and finally torres pace killed a terrible and also tired defence

can you keep doing it?

But United scarring wins against Sunderland Bolton and a 10 man Stoke is fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

congrats,but surely you can see the world without the rosy tinted specs now and then? i understand the adrenaline rush of a last gasp winner that is undeserved though.

Being honest, can you look over the chances both teams created; the abillity of either team to threaten and create chances; and the general flow of the game - and claim that Liverpool did not deserve three points?
    joe123 wrote: »
    So starting with the team we started with was alright so??

Clearly it showed he put out the wrong team.
    We were out of it untill Alonso Kuyt and Torres came on.

When you hit the post and miss a sitter, then concede a pretty good goal down the other end from their first incisive moment it doesn't 'clearly show' that you put out the wrong team.

Just as winning 3 - 2 in of itself would mean you put out the right team / made the right changes.

From what I have seen, I have to conclude that the performance was worthy of a win. The team that started and finished was the better team - and managed to get the win despite a poor officiating decision canceling out a goal and an unfortunate goalkeeping error providing them with a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Highsider wrote: »
    Sooooooo..if rafa has'nt a clue (obviously:rolleyes:) as a manager that means all the other managers in the league are worse than him because they are below us in the league No?

5 years in charge and beating portmouth with virtually the last kick of the game kinda answers that question :)

can you keep doing it?

I have to agree with everything you say there.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What a day of sport and betting for moi.

- Liverpool winning in such dramatic circumstances.
    - Ireland finally beating France in the 6 Nations.
    - West Indies embarrasing, destroying and taking the piss out over England's batsman.
    - Camillo Villegas leading in the US Golf.

Awesome stuff :D

Need Villegas to finish in the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Can people please be happy?

Yeah ive calmed down now :)

Whatever I think of benitez at times I still maintain its stupid people calling for benitez to be sacked at this stage of the season it would do NO good.

However too many more of these get of jail games and our final outcome at the end of the season will definitely have to weigh up my thoughts on Benitez.

Ha Ha Ha. Tottenham mark man for man. Sh*t, quick lads we'd all better start.

Going in after a match and blaming players and pointing fingers for mistakes must do wonders for team morale.

I look forward to Sherwood, Macca and Burley's joint thesis on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kuyt really was immense after he came on. Worthy winner of MoM despite the fact that he played for only a portion of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

nuxxx wrote: »
    5 years in charge and beating portmouth with virtually the last kick of the game kinda answers that question :)

That doesn't make a jot of sense, there are managers with much longer served in the PL than Rafa who have relied on last gasp winners against poorer sides this season.

• Advertisement

Only since Kuyt was left out today have any pundits considered him a "threat".

They are making me very angry.

Highsider wrote: »

no, some of them are worse, then again most of them dont have Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alosno, Kuyt, Carragher, Reina, and whoever else you rate as good enough to win the league.........

probably have a few pound less to spend on players too......

might hinder them from finishing ahead of liverpool in the table......

nobody is saying benitez doesnt have a clue btw, just that he is too erratic and stubborn to win the league for liverpool

as much as you may not want to believe it, Liverpool were the better team today and even with bad ref decisions and players missing gilt edged chances, still won. Deservedly.

Liverpool are better than most teams in the league but that does not translate into a divine right to win games. I repeat, we did not deserve to win that game today. In fact, we were very fortunate not to lose or draw (yet again) against woeful opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ha Ha Ha. Tottenham mark man for man. Sh*t, quick lads we'd all better start.

That Zonal marking is awful. The amount of space he had for that second goal was shocking.

probably have a few pound less to spend on players too......

No, Fergie's had plenty to spend.

That's the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So the manager names a side that he thinks can do a job. They don't, he changes it so that they do and he is inept. If he had left us to lose would that have been okay ? What if he had started it, we went two nil up, took those players off and then we drew, would that have been okay?

Some people really do need to take a look at themselves, particularly Ferguson fanboys just on to have a go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RasTa wrote: »
    That Zonal marking is awful. The amount of space he had for that second goal was shocking.

FYP

the thing people don't seem to grasp about Zonal marking is that it still relies on people doing their jobs. Over the last few weeks we haven't being doing our jobs right. Mistakes have led to goals.

• Advertisement

no its not, it never is..... i dont get excited by those type of performances
    Being honest, can you look over the chances both teams created; the abillity of either team to threaten and create chances; and the general flow of the game - and claim that Liverpool did not deserve three points?

no....liverpool only looked a threat at the end...a draw was the fairest outcome imo
    No, Fergie's had plenty to spend.

now thats just sad.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

In case posters have not read the two warnings already posted by mods on this thread I will repeat for all to see:

This thread is for discussion of the match between Portsmouth and Liverpool. If you cannot discuss this game without abuse, or trolling, then do not post, or you risk an enforced break from this forum.

You have been warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

FYP

the thing people don't seem to grasp about Zonal marking is that it still relies on people doing their jobs. Over the last few weeks we haven't being doing our jobs right. Mistakes have led to goals.

It seems to come up every season, I still don't like it.

no its not, it never is..... i dont get excited by those type of performances

I am not excited more relieved.

Still stand by what i said should have had at least Torres on from the start, anyone who has seen Pompy in the last 8 weeks has seen the defence has been bad, get your goals 1st then if you wanted to rest him could have taken him off when 2 or 3 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

FYP

Exactly - the amount of abuse zonal marking gets you would think man marking never concedes goals but we see it every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A draw would have been a fair result but if anyone was going to win it...

I would also be wary of atributing too much of the victory to Rafa.

The players did it today. I am happiest for Reina-he looked distraught after their second.

• Advertisement

I am not excited more relieved.

Still stand by what i said should have had at least Torres on from the start, anyone who has seen Pompy in the last 8 weeks has seen the defence has been bad, get your goals 1st then if you wanted to rest him could have taken him off when 2 or 3 up.

thats how i would feel, relieved but angry at my teams shortcomings, i always do when we perform like that

It would have made much more sense to most right minded people to start strong then take a rest.....start with Torres and Kuyt, let them try create a couple of goals, if you were to go 1 up or 2 up there was no chance of pompey coming back into it and both could have gone off for a rest around the HT mark imo

I went to see Fulham -v- Portsmouth in Craven Cottage last week and came away with one very strong impression from Portsmouth and that is they are completely awful this year.

Any team with aspirations of winning the Premiership, which Liverpool should have, should not be chugging over the line against a team like this. Portsmouth are poorly organised, poorly motivated and in organisational disarray with Adams at the helm and Liverpool's performance today was just poor.

It is the hallmark of a championship winning team to pull out results when they are having an off day. I just wonder how long it will be before I see Liverpool have an on day?

So so happy with this result, absolutely delighted for Kuyt as well, hopefully this will calm the Kuyt bashers for a while (though i doubt it).

I'll enjoy my pints tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Setanta questions to Adams were pretty disgraceful IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When you hit the post and miss a sitter, then concede a pretty good goal down the other end from their first incisive moment it doesn't 'clearly show' that you put out the wrong team.

Just as winning 3 - 2 in of itself would mean you put out the right team / made the right changes.

From what I have seen, I have to conclude that the performance was worthy of a win. The team that started and finished was the better team - and managed to get the win despite a poor officiating decision canceling out a goal and an unfortunate goalkeeping error providing them with a goal.
    Just switched over from the rugby to see the Pompey goal. :(

jesus , thats some eyesight you have seen ALL the chances.

And no mention of the 2 schoolboy errors by pompey to let ye back into the game. The winners win always write the history but in reality ye got out of jail today big time.NO THANKS TO YOUR MANAGER
    If you are a religious man , don't forget to say a little thank you tonight for Torres:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement