Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth v Liverpool 17:30 [Game Thread] Setanta Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

noodler wrote: »
    Setanta questions to Adams were pretty disgraceful IMO.

Was a shambles indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

So the manager names a side that he thinks can do a job. They don't, he changes it so that they do and he is inept. If he had left us to lose would that have been okay ? What if he had started it, we went two nil up, took those players off and then we drew, would that have been okay?

Why didn't Kuyt start? Why didn't Alonso or Torres? Why weaken a team that has already lost one talismanic player to injury by resting obviously fit players? What formation were the players who did start supposed to be playing - at times it seemed like they didn't know themselves. Benitez got very lucky today, I don't understand why you can't see that.

Some people really do need to take a look at themselves, particularly Ferguson fanboys just on to have a go...

I really think some Liverpool fans need to seriously reconsider their blind faith in Benitez. And for what its worth, I'm not a United supporter and have no particular dislike for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

noodler wrote: »
    Setanta questions to Adams were pretty disgraceful IMO.

Missed that. What did they ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wreck wrote: »
    Why didn't Kuyt start? Why didn't Alonso or Torres? Why weaken a team that has already lost one talismanic player to injury by resting obviously fit players? What formation were the players who did start supposed to be playing - at times it seemed like they didn't know themselves. Benitez got very lucky today, I don't understand why you can't see that.

Alonso had a knock. We've a lot of important games coming up and we didn't want to use him unless necessary. Similar story with Torres, switch fatigue for a knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Wreck wrote: »
    I really think some Liverpool fans need to seriously reconsider their blind faith in Benitez. And for what its worth, I'm not a United supporter and have no particular dislike for Liverpool.

His successes at the club have earned him the faith that Liverpool fans have in him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

is it just me or does anyone else feel like posting in a match thread is akin to p1ssing in the wind?

really really dislike it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ardent wrote: »
    Missed that. What did they ask?

Stuff like have you talked to the chairman since the game ended, what did he say, will you still be here next week? etc.

Some small man behind the mic looking for a story.

Anyone else think Sherwood is extremely bitter? whats the story there?

Terrible pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/B]

jesus , thats some eyesight you have seen ALL the chances.

And no mention of the 2 schoolboy errors by pompey to let ye back into the game. The winners win always read the history but in reality ye got out of jail today big time.NO THANKS TO YOUR MANAGER
    If you are a religious man , don't forget to say a little thank you tonight for Torres:)

How do you know for certain that I wasn't flicking back and forth between the two games from the first half on? :confused:

Yet again, we were incredibly unlucky to not be 1 - 0 up and 2 - 1 up at different points - and the goal that we conceded to go 2 - 1 down was the product of a keeping error (which is quite rare from Reina). As such we were incredibly unlucky to be in jail in the first place.

Anyway, I'm tired of retyping the same point. It clearly isn't computing with some people which can't be helped. We'll have to agree to disagree for now I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This game is over, I would imagine that the thread will be soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yet again, we were incredibly unlucky to not be 1 - 0 up

im sorry, i do really take issue with this point, how can you possibly say you were incredibly unlucky not to be 1-0 up? are you still referring to the free kick that BARELY clipped the outside of the post on its way wide???

seriously that was not close enough to be called incredibly unlucky, its misleading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I literally jumped in the air when the third goal went in. Absolutely delighted. That was Kuys best performance in a long time, he really changed the game. Benayoun is also on a great streak at the moment. In his last 5 games or so, he has almost always got either a goal or an assist. I think he should play the hole while Gerrard is out. Really happy for Aurelio...always felt he could score more than he does.

I'm still quite worried about the attacking options at Liverpool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Good article in the Times this morning about Liverpool by Michael Walker.

How can a club on top of the league be in such uncertainty.

kryogen wrote: »
    im sorry, i do really take issue with this point, how can you possibly say you were incredibly unlucky not to be 1-0 up? are you still referring to the free kick that BARELY clipped the outside of the post on its way wide???

seriously that was not close enough to be called incredibly unlucky, its misleading

That + sitter missed by Babel will usually mean you are one up most of the time. So to not be on this occasion is unlucky. But again, if you disagree with that it is your prerogative to do so.

The free kick was not that close

and come on, Babel was not unlucky, that miss was bad, plain and simple, bad... no luck involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Jazzy wrote: »
    is it just me or does anyone else feel like posting in a match thread is akin to p1ssing in the wind?

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Liverpool cruise its Gerrard and Torres who did it,when we lose its zonal marking and rafa's fault,when we win without them 2 we are lucky:rolleyes:

Great comeback,bitter pundits,class from Yossi and Kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Cometh the hr, cometh the men.

Fernado torres ,what a player :)

images.jpg

This game is over, I would imagine that the thread will be soon too.

the best thing said on this thread all evening

• Advertisement

That + sitter missed by Babel will usually mean you are one up most of the time. So to not be on this occasion is unlucky. But again, if you disagree with that it is your prerogative to do so.

Sorry Lloyd but while you normally make sense in your posts this one is total nonsense frankly. Missed chances do not mean you were "unlucky" to not be leading. It means your players did not make the most of their chances. Unlucky is a bad deflection or a dodgy bounce. Lack of concentration and poor finishing is not bad luck.

and come on, Babel was not unlucky, that miss was bad, plain and simple, bad... no luck involved

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry Lloyd but while you normally make sense in your posts this one is total nonsense frankly. Missed chances do not mean you were "unlucky" to not be leading. It means your players did not make the most of their chances. Unlucky is a bad deflection or a dodgy bounce. Lack of concentration and poor finishing is not bad luck.

how about flagged offside when your on?

Is the linesman disallowing a perfectly good goal unlucky ?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

do you have anything of substance to contribute?

do you consider it unlucky if you miss a sitter?

yes

but it doesnt have anything to do with Babels miss

• Advertisement

do you ? ;)

do you ? ;)

doin my best here! its hard to have a logical discussion round here though as well you know :D

mayordenis wrote: »
    how about flagged offside when your on?

Lloyd did not mention this incident. I was referring to Liverpool being "unlucky" to not be leading.

That said, I am glad to see you guys so on the ball with the defence.

I just saw the offside incident. Looked fine to me, should have been allowed. That was unlucky sure. If that was anything to do with what I was talking about then you'd have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ray Houghton, who clearly watched the game, just asked why Skrtel played right back. Liverpool legend, but he's dead to me. Utter rubbish is all he comes out with.

And if you had a point then we would have something to talk about.

Liverpool won.

FAHHHHHHCCCTT

• Advertisement

do you consider it unlucky if you miss a sitter?

About as much as some of your posts tbh.

So what if he missed a sitter ffs. Who cares, it happens every player.

Liverpool won, had a perfectly good goal chalked offside too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ray Houghton, who clearly watched the game, just asked why Skrtel played right back. Liverpool legend, but he's dead to me. Utter rubbish is all he comes out with.

it's unreal how little the rte boys know about football

they don't even know the most basic things about formation it's shocking

Liverpool won.

FAHHHHHHCCCTT

Ahh come off it now, you know he had a point, it being

missing a sitter is not unlucky

FAHHHHHHCCCTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    About as much as some of your posts tbh.

So what if he missed a sitter ffs. Who cares, it happens every player.

Liverpool won, had a perfectly good goal chalked offside too.

i have no issue with him missing a sitter, you missed the point..... i was responding to a direct statement by another poster..... maybe you should read previous post and understand what they are about before typing?

this is going nowhere and about to get there very fast

good luck... well done with the result

You guys are criticizing the initial team selection. I think you could agree that a footballer of Babel's standard would be expected to finish that chance more than 95% of the time. Or that if it happened to be another Liverpool player in that position at the end of this move they would have been more likely to finish it on the night?

As such, would it be fair to say that the manager is a tad unlucky to have his life made all the more difficult due to levels of execution that fall well below what one would expect from his players?

Liverpool won.

FAHHHHHHCCCTT

There it is. I knew there was a reason posting in Liverpool or Man Utd match threads was annoying. None of the fans can see beyond their own parochial interests.

I do have a point. If Liverpool keep thinking they are "unlucky" or that "it's the sign of a good team to win when not playing well" then they might as well hand the trophy to Manchester Utd now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/b]
    And no mention of the 2 schoolboy errors by pompey to let ye back into the game. The winners win always write the history but in reality ye got out of jail today big time.NO THANKS TO YOUR MANAGER :)

Well benitez did buy aureilo, kuyt and torres so it is thanks to our manager..
    Liverpool did deserve to win that game.. they were the better team all game. You failed to mention how fortunate there second goal was and kuyts perfect goal!

It wasn't that surprising that Torres and Alonso were on the bench. Torres looked exhausted against Everton and alonso picked up a knock..
    I'm delighted for kuyt cause he hasn't been playing well recently and i'm not a great fan of his but he did fantastic.

If there was ever a time for benitez to use his squad it was tonight with gerrard out, torres and kuyt tired, alonso with a knock and against a team who are on a terrible run at the moment.. If not tonight then what night to give these players a rest?? The weakened team that he put out looked comfortable but not threatening enough. All our big players got a good rest, we won and we're top of the league so it's been a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Fair play to liverpool, they rode their luck leaving it so late but in fairness they had the best chances in that game, any sustained pressure on the pompey goal looked like it would end in a pool goal..

Ah well.. upto us to win tommorrow now!!

on another note, i am sure glad Sky picked up an extra package for tv rights in a few years. Setanta's coverage is incredibly tough to watch. I'm a united fan and dont mind a bit of anti-liverpool banter!! but that Burley has some chip on his shoulder.. and Sherwood isn't far behind him.. Never longed to hear Jaime 'on the fence' redknapp more!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE graphics dept all at sea there.

Yeah, saw that. I sighed. The level of analysis by Burley and co on Setanta was a little lacking earlier aswell.

• Advertisement

i have no issue with him missing a sitter, you missed the point..... i was responding to a direct statement by another poster..... maybe you should read previous post and understand what they are about before typing?

this is going nowhere and about to get there very fast

good luck... well done with the result

apologies, i did miss that post.

and you are right, this thread is going nowhere like most of these threads every week !

Babble's ball bobbeld :)

Kinda32 wrote: »
    dont mind a bit of anti-liverpool banter!! but that Burley has some chip on his shoulder.. and Sherwood isn't far behind him.. Never longed to hear Jaime 'on the fence' redknapp more!!!
    Sherwood seemed a bit peeved that liverpool had won and does'nt think they are a championship winning side ...hmmph :(.

Hope he's proved wrong

latchyco wrote: »
    Babble's ball bobbeld :)

try saying that fast after a few pints! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Sherwood seemed a bit peeved that liverpool had won and does'nt think they are a championship winning side ...hmmph :(.

Hope he's proved wrong

Obviously i hope he's proved right!!

But you'd think he would be delighted with the pool for giving Spurs a striker to help in their own relegation battle!!

You guys are criticizing the initial team selection. I think you could agree that a footballer of Babel's standard would be expected to finish that chance more than 95% of the time. Or that if it happened to be another Liverpool player in that position at the end of this move they would have been more likely to finish it on the night?

As such, would it be fair to say that the manager is a tad unlucky to have his life made all the more difficult due to levels of execution that fall well below what one would expect from his players?

To be honest Lloyd almost anyone who has ever kicked a ball should be able to finish that chance. It was lack of concentration that cost them there. As for the missed free kick, chalking that down as a serious chance is completely ridiculous as the degree of the miss is irrelevant. Saying it could easily have been a few inches to the right and a goal ignores that a few inches to the left and it was a complete miss. A miss is a miss.

I think Benitez creates his own luck to be fair. He made a large number of changes and until forced to replace them with more first choice players his team was not as threatening in front of goal as they should have been against a team that looked incredibly porous at the back over the last few weeks against teams with such luminaries up front as Erik Nevland.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The Liverpool line-up according to RTE...

Reina

Dossena
    Agger
    Carra
    Skrtel

Aurelio--Masch

Babel
    Yossi
    Arbeloa

N'Gog

*shakes head in utter bemusement*

So, out of 11 players who obviously started for us... the great lads at the RTE got 3 players in their right positions :pac:

Dossena, a left footer who plays left wing back normally.
    Agger, a left footer who plays left center back normally.
    Skrtel, a right footer who plays right center back normally.
    Masch, a right footer who plays right defensive midfield normally.
    Aurelio, a left footer, who clearly played left center mid today.
    Babel, right footer for who 90% of his LFC and Ajax career plays LWF normally.
    Arbeloa, A BLOODY RIGHT BACK FOR GODNESS SAKE.

Clueless, utter clueless clowns. We played 3-5-2 clearly as well with Arbeloa and Dossena playing as wing backs.

Then that useless dunce Houghton moaning about us not playing Torres and Alonso and completely ignoring the fact that all week every damn Red knew Torres and Alonso picked up knocks during midweek/tired.

Redknapp has his faults. Hansen and Lawerson too.

But Houghton takes the biscuit for me. Most Reds from Liverpool think he is a complete so and so too.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hope he's proved wrong

Who cares what Tim Sherwood said seriously.

try saying that fast after a few pints! :)
    Balbber's baliiisisils bulllerdareummmerrrrrrrrrr :)

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Obviously i hope he's proved right!!

But you'd think he would be delighted with the pool for giving Spurs a striker to help in their own relegation battle!!
    Indeed and Robbie's probably in the right mood now to do just that .

Who cares what Tim Sherwood said seriously.
    Right !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Fantastic game for the pool, really positive team, great to see Ngog getting a first run out..a few hicups but in general a great performance and loads of work done..what a result.. We are almost there.. Just in time for the break.

Going to enjoy a couple of pints tonight..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement