Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to port a number from bill pay to PAYG?

• 07-02-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone tell me it's possible to port a bill pay number (out of contract) to a pay as you go option?

Also can I go from Meteor bill pay to O2 PAYG?

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

yep.. you can make any switch you want like that.. provided you are out of contract, which you say you are..
    If you want to change to PAYG with the network you are bill pay with, just ring customer care..
    If you want to change network, contact the network you want to change to.. you can port a number to either payment type on the new network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭bren2002

Sweet, thanks for the quick response.

Can I suggest that in the CEC, that this might be added to the sticky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

bren2002 wrote: »
    Sweet, thanks for the quick response.

Can I suggest that in the CEC, that this might be added to the sticky?

If it's going to be added as a sticky, then the word "port" should be changed, as the number isn't porting. Porting signifies when a mobile number is moved from one network to another. If any word is going to be used then the word "migration" should be used, as this is what is used by several of the mobile networks and should stop confusion within similar threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

migration is slightly different again.
    downgrading is going from bill pay to payg on a network :)
    he would be porting as well as downgrading if the OP wanted to go from bill pay meteor to o2 payg

and i doubt it need to be sticky. if you read your T&C you will find out, or ask anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Done something similar myself... But ran in to difficulties :rolleyes:

Went to the Meteor store in The Square, told them I am out of my Bill pay contract with O2 and would like to port over to Meteor Pre-Pay

The Meteor Shop could not do this as I was moving from Bill pay and going to Pre-Pay.

They told me the only way to do it was to get O2 to put me on a Pre-Pay plan.

So off I headed to the O2 shop about 80 metres away and changed over to a Pre-Pay sim.

Then back over to Meteor Store to port over to their Pre-Pay account.

I was not impressed :mad:

So op, get your current network to change you to a Pre-Pay account before you port to another network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

samhail wrote: »
    migration is slightly different again.
    downgrading is going from bill pay to payg on a network :)
    he would be porting as well as downgrading if the OP wanted to go from bill pay meteor to o2 payg

and i doubt it need to be sticky. if you read your T&C you will find out, or ask anyone :)
    I was merely making a point if this became a sticky; however unlikely.

I haven't come across the term "downgrading" with regard to moving a mobile number from postpaid to prepaid or vice versa. Where did you hear that term from, as I've heard the term "migration" and/or "migrating" from both Vodafone and Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dammer wrote: »
    Done something similar myself... But ran in to difficulties :rolleyes:

Went to the Meteor store in The Square, told them I am out of my Bill pay contract with O2 and would like to port over to Meteor Pre-Pay

The Meteor Shop could not do this as I was moving from Bill pay and going to Pre-Pay.

They told me the only way to do it was to get O2 to put me on a Pre-Pay plan.

So off I headed to the O2 shop about 80 metres away and changed over to a Pre-Pay sim.

Then back over to Meteor Store to port over to their Pre-Pay account.

I was not impressed :mad:

So op, get your current network to change you to a Pre-Pay account before you port to another network

dude i don't know whether you were talking to a new rep in tallaght but it's very possible to just port from a post-pay to a pre-pay account. it's the same process as pre to pre, they just additionally need your O2 account number. changing from post to pre on the same network can be relatively time consuming and effectively a complete waste of time. i'm surprised at the tallaght store

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

I did not tell the full story.

Day 1
    Went to Meteor store to port over from O2 Bill pay.
    Had copies of my O2 Bills.

The Meteor Rep said that was grand. Then said he logged the request with HQ and that the Porting over would take a couple of hours. Bought an E51 and got a Meteor Sim. Still Had my O2 phone with the O2 sim in it as well.

Bare in mind this is not the first time that I have ported. Orginally I was with Voda to Meteor to O2 and now back to Meteor.

Anyway a few hours later the O2 phone still had a signal, there was NO "inactive Sim" on the display. It could still recieve txts and calls to my number

Day 2
    Went back to Meteor store the following day, explained problem and after they called HQ I was told to go to O2 and get on a pre-pay plan. They said there was problems porting from a Bill pay account to a Pre-pay on.

Now maybe O2 had an issue with releasing a number on Bill Pay to pre-pay. I don't know exactly.

But I was incensed that it took 2 days though...

Advertisement