Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Special offer on bikes, etc.........any ?

• 07-02-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭

..as an avid reader of MCN, and usually throwing the Bikemart piece in the bin..........I've decided not to do any work today, and just couch in the sun.

Yes, down here in the West it's glorious sunshine, and no - we have seen NO snow this week - bloody East Coast Wussies ;) !

Anyhoo, this week, I didn't throw the Bikemart part in the bin, and I'm actually reading it, and I got to thinking........does anyone in Ireland do anything like the special offers, such as the ones George White does ?

Now, I know that most of the bike shops in this country don't have the buying power of those big chains - but what about the importers ? Now I've dealt with 2 of them directly in the past, and I know for a fact they don't give a flying fcuk whether you buy, or not..........but surely there's a market here?

I mean, what about NOS (New Old Stock). Say new, unsold 07 or 08 bikes? I don't think anyone could argue that an k7 vs a k9 is actually a bad bike, and I'd be more than happy with something like that, at the right price.

I see this week in the UK free full Comp insurance on nearly everthing - not a big deal for me, tbh, but there's a new 08 R1 on George Whites site, with 3k of gear added in, as well.

Not quite-so-popular stuff is even better value, say Dobles selling Transalsp's.

And all those £1 down, 0% deals as well.

Wouldn't today, sun out, be a great day to roll a nice shiney one out for a spin ? [sigh].........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I just got myself an ex-demo Street Triple R from Wales.

I hope that when I work the final numbers and she's got an Irish plate on her, that the saving will come to near enough €2,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Having checked second hand prices here and in england, I can honestly say that anyone that buys here is crazy! The difference for some bikes, even when VRT, flight over and ferry back, convert ot sterling is incredible! Some are even half price, with better options on the english ones (lower milage, pipes, dry miles etc). It's a real eye opener when you have a bike in mind and you do a search.
    I've been using the mcn website, is that the biggest internet bike ad site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yeah, possibly/probably, but you won't get any offers, warranty spec deals, buying used privately.

Look at this way - car mfrs have now reduced some of their new car prices to that level you'd be paying for a used one, 12mths ago. Why not bikes ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Dorsanty wrote: »
    I just got myself an ex-demo Street Triple R from Wales.

I hope that when I work the final numbers and she's got an Irish plate on her, that the saving will come to near enough €2,000.

Which works out at what. pray tell ? How much would you expect to pay for a 'normal' Street Triple in comparison ?

Was thinking of going over to pick up a SV650s or F650GS (F800 probably too steep for my pockets...so the Trumpet definitely is !!) later on this year....definitely not paying Oirish prices for 30000 milers in all weathers !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I paid 6000 euro on a Monster S4r 03 9300 dry miles nearly 2 years ago. VRT was 756 and ferry and plane cost 150ish at the time. Add in fuel and food (say bring the 150 to 200) and then the bike was mine. I took it to Ducati and they said it be something like a minimum of 8000euro here(I'd say more like 10000 jugging from some of their prices) LOL not worth a dry cent of that now seeing as I've clocked up the miles and she's in bits and in need of some major work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Theres a place called Storm Motorcycles in Kildare that bring in NOS bikes from time to time. Its usually sports bikes and there are big savings.
    Also, i saw an unregistered R6 in Bikeworld at a hugely reduced price.

If you want to get deals like that seen in the UK you would need to haggle alot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Pique wrote: »
    Which works out at what. pray tell ? How much would you expect to pay for a 'normal' Street Triple in comparison ?

Was thinking of going over to pick up a SV650s or F650GS (F800 probably too steep for my pockets...so the Trumpet definitely is !!) later on this year....definitely not paying Oirish prices for 30000 milers in all weathers !!

Well at the moment, minus VRT it's approx 6,600 to me. Bikeworld have same bike for sale at 9,750. No fly screen and no belly pan on the bikeworld one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

galwaytt wrote: »
    yeah, possibly/probably, but you won't get any offers, warranty spec deals, buying used privately.

Look at this way - car mfrs have now reduced some of their new car prices to that level you'd be paying for a used one, 12mths ago. Why not bikes ?

it's already happening,i've read these forums lately and what suprises me is the fact people think bikes are cheaper in uk!!!!!! bikes AREcheaper here...if you do the total cost bike plus vrt and shipping viewing etc... saw a 08 r6 low milage for 7,000 euro and an 07 for 6,000(that's less than HALF price)bty the retail is 12,500 for an 08 r6 so 5,500 less for a bike less than 12 months old?

Advertisement