Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion

Options
  • 07-02-2009 1:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello
    Was thinking of buying oblivion and was just wondering is it hard to get into if you have'nt played games like mirrorwind or gothic?I dont know anything about d and d rules either :-/,I tryed playing baldurs gate a few yrs back but could not get the hang of it.Is this similar to that?any advice would be great.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Depends, I bought Oblivion cos everyone said how great it was, Bored me to tears. Was sorry I bought it (although my son played it and got the moneys worth).......................... Which is why i pirate as much as I do, I got stung too many times when I hadn't the bandwidth to try out the "demo" to see if I like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I was the same as you but went out and bought the game and got hooked! You'll be able to jump straight in!

Enjoy, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Hello
    Was thinking of buying oblivion and was just wondering is it hard to get into if you have'nt played games like mirrorwind or gothic?I dont know anything about d and d rules either :-/,I tryed playing baldurs gate a few yrs back but could not get the hang of it.Is this similar to that?any advice would be great.
    thanks

It is quite easy to get into really. Most things are explained quite well and the menus are straightforward enough. You'll probably get hooked in the first hour! it's very absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I suppose the theme is similar to Baldur's Gate but the gameplay of the two games is far removed. Both are excellent in my opinion. If you fancy the RPG choice without the fantasy theme I suppose the obvious choice would be Fallout 3. It's a sin to not own that game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thanks for the advice,I have fallout 3 and love so I'll buy this and give it a bash,whats mods do ye recommend I get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

thanks for the advice,I have fallout 3 and love so I'll buy this and give it a bash,whats mods do ye recommend I get?

You should try and get your hands on the game of the year edition as that has the two expansion packs included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

I was considering buying it too but i bought fallout 3 and found it boring, i do prefer fantasy type games thats why i think i'd prefer oblivion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I started playing TES series with Morrowind and have enjoyed playing both Morrowind & Oblivion.

You dont have to have played Morrowind at all, the information you need is all given in Oblivion.:)

Probably one of the best games I have played in recent years!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Best RPG I ever played. I only picked up the controller while my brother was getting some tea. Havnt given it back since, that was about a year ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oblivion is Fallout 3 with swords. :pac:

I never quite enjoyed Oblivion, I found it too clucky and boring for my taste. Fallout 3 was more my cup of tea. Its definitely worth a play tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Oblivion teaches you how to get started and sets the scene for the game at the start. Parts of the main quest can be a bit tedious and samey, but the side quests are great.

If you can get Morrowind I would probably recommend it over Oblivion as an introduction to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I hated Oblivion when I first got it. I played it for 3 or 4 hours and then shelved it.

I was bored around 6 months later and decided to give it another try. That was a mistake as I got completely hooked and I ended up playing it way too much. Its a great game, you just have to give it time initially to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

If you get it you have to go for the game of the year edition, adds so much to the game. Still have to finish the game myself but wastedspent so many hours playing it. So much fun.

Stay well away from Two worlds though, absolute garbage. Gets compared to oblivion (don't know how) but avoid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

thanks very for all the replies lads,what are the expansions like?Is there much content in them?I was on the offical forums site,my god it seems to have quite a big and good community lots of mods and stuff :).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, there is one actual expansion pack called the Shivering Isles. This adds a whole new realm that the player can go to, with its own world and unique missions and creatures. Its worth it in my opinion, as it adds hours of gameplay.

The Knights of the Nine pack contains all of the downloadable additional content that was released for the game. It adds numerous quests and new locations to the game, again worth it - but it does not add as much as the Shivering Isles does.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Absolutely loved Oblivion. As someone else said the main quest is a little repetitive (
    Hateful oblivion gate after oblivion gate
    ) but the guilds and side quests are amazing.

On my first play through I did everything I could find and ended up racking up 160 hours. You will not find better value for money. If you get over the first couple of hours (a little slow at first) you'll get addicted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i too have to add thats its one of the best games out there and it made me completely miss a summer because of it, truly epic game.

got it wednesday gonna give a go today maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Oblivion isn't 3/4s the game Fallout 3 is. Still good though!

Both games have their pro's and con's. Oblivion is much bigger and has a lot more to do. One full Guild is comparable to Fallout's main story.

But Fallout has much more interesting NPCs and dialogue - but then it should, it has 4 years on Oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

The same team made both Oblivion and Fallout 3. Clearly Fallout 3 was made on the experience of making Oblivion. The main quest and NPC's are better in Fallout 3.....but personally I found Oblivion a more fun game to play. ITs bigger and there is more to do.

sarumite wrote: »
    The same team made both Oblivion and Fallout 3. Clearly Fallout 3 was made on the experience of making Oblivion. The main quest and NPC's are better in Fallout 3.....but personally I found Oblivion a more fun game to play. ITs bigger and there is more to do.

I always find FO3 to be more of a "darker experience" than Oblivion. Its humor is "dark humor".:)

Absolutely - they take a very cynical look at how nuclear war was treated in the 50s - all based on things like Duck and Cover and "be sure to close the windows during nuclear fallout" and stuff.

Tragically funny stuff.

I loved Oblivion. But my main quibble all the time whilst playing it is that the same voice actors were used for many different NPC's, or that their dialog style would change from introduction-conversation. And the fact that in the main story arch, you had to go into so many of those stupid Oblivion Gates.

The best thing about it is its worth for money. You can pick it up from places from as little as 15euro now. I've heard of people racking up 200+ hours playing this game. Even when it was new and probably cost 50euro, it still would have been value for money.

It's strange to compare it to newer games that only have around 12 hours of gameplay and cost 50+euro.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I loved Oblivion. But my main quibble all the time whilst playing it is that the same voice actors were used for many different NPC's, or that their dialog style would change from introduction-conversation. And the fact that in the main story arch, you had to go into so many of those stupid Oblivion Gates.

The best thing about it is its worth for money. You can pick it up from places from as little as 15euro now. I've heard of people racking up 200+ hours playing this game. Even when it was new and probably cost 50euro, it still would have been value for money.

It's strange to compare it to newer games that only have around 12 hours of gameplay and cost 50+euro.
    Yeah I clocked up close to 200 hours I think. Damn life stealing game.

Yeah I clocked up close to 200 hours I think. Damn life stealing game.

I got between 70-90 hours clocked. Would have played more but bought Dead Space shortly after and then Fallout 3. My xbox360 is down in the sitting room so can't play it as much. As soon as I get my own TV again, it'll be the exact same thing all over again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got between 70-90 hours clocked. Would have played more but bought Dead Space shortly after and then Fallout 3. My xbox360 is down in the sitting room so can't play it as much. As soon as I get my own TV again, it'll be the exact same thing all over again.
    Sure I'm tempted to start a new game on it. I don't want to because I have tonnes of games I have yet to play and playing oblivion will just take over my life for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I never played an elder scrolls or gothic game before oblivion but i tried it out and loved it. Played for like 200 hours.

Made me wish i had have got morrowind a few years ago, so much missed awesome gaming.

• Advertisement

Sure I'm tempted to start a new game on it. I don't want to because I have tonnes of games I have yet to play and playing oblivion will just take over my life for a while.

Same as. I tend to buy new games before I finish the older ones. Yet I always shop around for my games. There's nothing like going to one shop, seeing some game for 40, then popping into another shop and finding that exact same game for 16. That happened with me with Bioshock. It was on sale in Game for 15.94 (I think) and brought it to the counter. They scanned it, discovered it was actually off-sale but then also discovered I could get it even cheaper.

That was a good day.

Advertisement