Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Installation Process

Options
  • 07-02-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

could anyone talk me through how NTL (UPC) install the broadband in the home.
    i want the broadband package only, i dont think i have to spell out why i am not takin the tv package, but lets just say they arent the greatest at cutting people off. so will the guy who installs the broadband go anywhere near the tv stuff etc.
    a walk thru of the process would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

BUMP

Same question for me. We cancelled NTL completely last year and didn't allow the to install the cable at our house. We have the junction box at the gable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

in my case (very similar, wanted broadband now they have 20mbps cable in my area, already got burnt with their TV service and have sky+ so not changing).

engineer comes round, changed the TV point on the wall behind the telly to the new type box, plugged the modem in, configured it and made a call, lights start flashing, speedtest online all hunky dory and engineer gone inside of 30 minutes.

unfortunately I just got a bill from BT for the DSL I cancelled 3 months ago which is still active and as usual I can't find anyone with a brain at BT to sort it out and my phone number porting still hasn't gone through. GRRR @ BT!!! (again for the nth time)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

vibe666 wrote: »
    in my case (very similar, wanted broadband now they have 20mbps cable in my area, already got burnt with their TV service and have sky+ so not changing).

engineer comes round, changed the TV point on the wall behind the telly to the new type box, plugged the modem in, configured it and made a call, lights start flashing, speedtest online all hunky dory and engineer gone inside of 30 minutes.

unfortunately I just got a bill from BT for the DSL I cancelled 3 months ago which is still active and as usual I can't find anyone with a brain at BT to sort it out and my phone number porting still hasn't gone through. GRRR @ BT!!! (again for the nth time)

They never change! All the more reason for anyone cancelling BT to do it by registered post and keep a copy and dont forget to cancel your dd!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I got mine installed at the weekend. I was getting both TV and BB but the engineer basically plugs the boxes into the wall. He tries to goto a webpage, this prompts him to enter your Username \ Password for BB, then he makes a quick call (or sends a text) and you've got BB.

For me I had to wait about half an hour and reset my modem as he was having problems getting through to the guys in the office and sent them a text and all was working after I rebooted 30 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dub45 wrote: »
    They never change! All the more reason for anyone cancelling BT to do it by registered post and keep a copy and dont forget to cancel your dd!
    lol, about 4 years ago I cancelled my DD 3 times in a row because they kept taking payment a couple of days before I got paid ad inevitably I was always skint. I'd asked them to move the payment date sevral times and they kept agreeing but kept taking the money anyway.

so i resorted to cancelling my DD with them (this is BT now, not NTL) and due to their paperless DD system they were able to reinstate it every time they wanted to take my money. it took an angry email to bill murphy (the big cheese at the time) to get it sorted. but, that means I don't have a DD with them, which is at least something. :)

I now have someone looking into my complaint ABOUT my complaint against BT. :mad:

will it ever end?

NTL has been great BTW, despite being burned both by NTL and then by Chorus in the past (who are now both UPC as we all know) I took the plunge and so far it's paying off.

although you might want to be aware that if you down/upload more than 250gb in a month on their *unlimited* package they will send you a nasty letter. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement