Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica live in Dublin

• 07-02-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Last Wednesday (4th Feb), TodayFM announced Metallica are pencilled in to play a famous D4 venue in June this year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

If this is true then I cannot wait. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

No news on Metclub yet but then again I heard about last years gig before it was announced on the site.

Was gonna buy tickets to one of the shows in England last week cause I didnt think they were playing here.Glad I didnt now.Alriiiiiiiiiiiight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Playing a new festival in England in very early August, so might happen around then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

C'mon who would rather see 'em in The O2. That D4 venue is getting a little stale at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Passenger wrote: »
    C'mon who would rather see 'em in The O2. That D4 venue is getting a little stale at this stage.

+1

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    If NIN and LP get annouced for this aswell, im so at it:)

1st/2nd Aug @ Knebworth

I doubt NIN would play. Kinda too big, if ya look at the other names mentioned. It'll be like Download in Ireland a few years back, don't think there's camping. LP are playing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

yeah its a shame its not the o2 after they announced an indoor gig after last years in marley bit peed off bout that tbh dont know if i'll bother with rds again

looking forward to priest et all on tues though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Plus 1 GAZILLION. I'll probably give it a miss this time round.....getting a bit bored of the setlist, and DM ain't up to much........?

Will probably go see Metallitia in the Academy instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

SO there.

I love the RDS for metallica gigs!!

That Knebworth festival looks unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Mushy wrote: »
    I doubt NIN would play. Kinda too big, if ya look at the other names mentioned. It'll be like Download in Ireland a few years back, don't think there's camping. LP are playing though.

Well to be fair, NIN supported Foo Fighters in August 2007 (epic gig!was in the moshpit) so I don't think its unrealistic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Saw them in the O2 Arena in September and I'm going again in March and I think they're much better indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I love the RDS too for Tallica gigs.Only when I get in the pit though.Otherwise your wasy too far back.

I went to see them in Reading last year a couple of days after the Marley gig and it was brutal.
    Seeing a band you love at a festival is always crap cause 90% of the people there arent fans and theres no atmosphere. What a waste of money :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭ec18

The support act will probably decide whether i go or not. I would have def went to them in if it was indoors. I'm just not bothered to see them in the rds.......again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Saw em in 2004, I'm gonna give it a miss, the setlist won't be THAT much different and Death Magnetic didn't do a lot for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Saw em in 2004, I'm gonna give it a miss, the setlist won't be THAT much different and Death Magnetic didn't do a lot for me.

2003 was the better gig I thought.
    That might have had something to do with the company I was with though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

2003 was the better gig I thought.
    That might have had something to do with the company I was with though...

I hadn't even any intention of going! I hadn't seen them before and I knew someone selling a ticket the day before and i took it off his hands as i'd nothing else better to do and thought i'd do the guy a favour. Fun night but now it's been a case of "been there, seen that!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

from what i've seen of the 02 it looks like it couldn't take their indoor set-up hence the outdoor gig.

plus the D4 venue is still much better than the kip in rathfarnham;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    Saw them in the O2 Arena in September and I'm going again in March and I think they're much better indoors.

was over in the states just over a week ago for 2 shows in long island and newark,nj. they're indoor set-up is brilliant,everyone gets a great view of the gig with the stage in the middle so there's no need for big screens or anything. they've a savage lazer show and coffin lighting rigs that move around all over the shop(i know it sounds corny but it works! lol.)

as for set lists,what they're playing now is quite a bit different to recent gigs. the long island show had one of the best set lists i've seen 'em play:

That Was Just Your Life
    The End Of The Line
    Creeping Death
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    One
    Broken, Beat And Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    The Unforgiven
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master Of Puppets
    Damage, Inc.
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Phantom Lord
    Seek and Destroy

the 2nd gig in newark had this set list:
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End Of The Line
    Ride The Lightning
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    One
    Broken, Beat And Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    ...And Justice For All
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master Of Puppets
    Battery
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Blitzkrieg
    Hit The Lights
    Seek and Destroy

they seem aware of having to shake up the set lists lately,here's hoping no more whiskey in the feckin' jar:rolleyes::D

off to see them again in london and newcastle in 3 weeks,can't feckin' wait:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lord lucan wrote: »
    was over in the states just over a week ago for 2 shows in long island and newark,nj. they're indoor set-up is brilliant,everyone gets a great view of the gig with the stage in the middle so there's no need for big screens or anything. they've a savage lazer show and coffin lighting rigs that move around all over the shop(i know it sounds corny but it works! lol.)

as for set lists,what they're playing now is quite a bit different to recent gigs. the long island show had one of the best set lists i've seen 'em play:

That Was Just Your Life
    The End Of The Line
    Creeping Death
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    One
    Broken, Beat And Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    The Unforgiven
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master Of Puppets
    Damage, Inc.
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Phantom Lord
    Seek and Destroy

the 2nd gig in newark had this set list:
    That Was Just Your Life
    The End Of The Line
    Ride The Lightning
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    One
    Broken, Beat And Scarred
    Cyanide
    Sad But True
    ...And Justice For All
    All Nightmare Long
    The Day That Never Comes
    Master Of Puppets
    Battery
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Blitzkrieg
    Hit The Lights
    Seek and Destroy

they seem aware of having to shake up the set lists lately,here's hoping no more whiskey in the feckin' jar:rolleyes::D

off to see them again in london and newcastle in 3 weeks,can't feckin' wait:D

English Metallica gigs are fantastic. They love to use Disc 2 of Garage Inc and some of the Kill Em All stuff.

The setlist needed to be changed. I not sure how much longer I could put up with the same style of setlist....having said that I really really enjoyed the two most recent gigs I attended at Wembley and Marlay Park..probably as much as I ever have enjoyed a Metallica gig. As this is the Death Magnetic tour, I want to hear more of that album. It is unlikely that we will ever be able to hear six songs in one gig from the album again. I can guarantee that we will hear Fade To Black, Sanitarium, and Sad But Ture again.

RDS...I couldnt give a toss where we see them !

Well to be fair, NIN supported Foo Fighters in August 2007 (epic gig!was in the moshpit) so I don't think its unrealistic

Yeah but for a festival like that, they would be above one of the headliners(LP) normally, and way above pretty much all other bands playing, to an extent where they'd prob be the best band playing. But other bands who are playing this are supporting Metallica through Europe, so cant see too much variation happening here, if ya get what I mean.*

Also think they'll do an arena tour later on in the year, which will involve travelling for me. Lights in the Sky over Europe tour...I'm coming!

*major b**** ranting from me if this doesn't prove to be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I want NIN to come here solo!

Metallica too of course, hearing them for the first time live was amazing, what made it better, was them playing Last Caress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Cant believe its been 10 years since they played the Point in 1999, how time has passed....sunrise, sunset etc....

Since then Ive seen them in 2003 with Linkin Park and the Darkness, seen them in 2004 with The Lost Prophets and Slipknot and then in 2006 with Alice in Chains and AX7

Got a ticket to the Sheffield gig in the UK at the end of this month with Machine Head and The Sword, which I think is good, because its been the most hardcore support Ive ever seen them with

Slipknot were amazing live, their live album is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

An article about Trent Reznor and his plans for future NIN shows.http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/dec/10/nine-inch-nails-stop-touring
    Would definitely be much more interested in seeing a full NIN show rather that Metallica

Some guy on the bulletin board over at the official Metallica website says that Metallica ARE coming here this year, but isn't giving much away. All I can gather from him/her so far is that the gig is NOT in the O2, Slane, RDS, or Marlay Park, so imo that only leaves Punchestown.......??

Could they be being lined up to support ACDC???? :confused:

lord lucan wrote: »
    from what i've seen of the 02 it looks like it couldn't take their indoor set-up hence the outdoor gig.

plus the D4 venue is still much better than the kip in rathfarnham;)

That wouldn't be f**kin hard!!!??? Useless place for a music gig.

Some guy on the bulletin board over at the official Metallica website says that Metallica ARE coming here this year, but isn't giving much away. All I can gather from him/her so far is that the gig is NOT in the O2, Slane, RDS, or Marlay Park, so imo that only leaves Punchestown.......??

Could they be being lined up to support ACDC???? :confused:

AFAIK The Answer are supporting AC/DC for the whole of the world tour. Metallica wouldn't come close to selling that place out on their own...Sonisphere under a different guise here:D. Could play Simmonscourt...now there's be a shocking venue!

EDIT: Just read through the thread on met site there, nobody mentions O2, so easily could be that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Saw them last year in Dublin, the sound sucked (only bass, and almost too much of it), and it was extremely expensive. 70 euro or something like that?

I saw Megadeth, Testament (not my cup of teathough) and Judas Priest (YAY!!) in O2 for €45 only.. well worth the price!

Fairyhouse...1st August...more than likely Sonisphere bands playing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Mushy wrote: »
    Fairyhouse...1st August...more than likely Sonisphere bands playing too.

Yeah, it's official now - on metallica.com. Pity it's not indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

peter1892 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's official now - on metallica.com. Pity it's not indoors.

Yeah, The Point would have been cool, I live in Swords so Fairyhouse isn't too bad, guess i'll be staying at a hotel in Ashbourne for the night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement